Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Why is it ?

Under Bush and other republican presidents liberals say they gas prices go up because republicans are in bed with big oil.
Prices at all time high under Obummer the same liberals say
"goes to show the president has no controll over prices"

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
PaulS

I disagree. Are you saying there were no posts here saying Obama wasn't responsible for the rise in gas prices (although not with the recent rises)?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Under Bush and other republican presidents liberals say they gas prices go up because republicans are in bed with big oil.
Prices at all time high under Obummer the same liberals say
"goes to show the president has no controll over prices"
Republicans pander to large corporations and the top 1% far more than democrats.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Talking about the media not so much this board.

QUOTE=PaulS;952798]I disagree. Are you saying there were no posts here saying Obama wasn't responsible for the rise in gas prices (although not with the recent rises)?[/QUOTE]

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
PaulS

No Pres. really has the ability to influence gas prices. They can release oil from our reserves but shouldn't since that is suppose to be used in an emergency.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
No Pres. really has the ability to influence gas prices. They can release oil from our reserves but shouldn't since that is suppose to be used in an emergency.
True, it's more myth than reality that the sitting president can do much about today's prices. Both sides distort that to score political points, neither side has a monopoly on that crap...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Republicans pander to large corporations and the top 1% far more than democrats.
If by "pander to" you mean that republicans don't demonize and incessantly blame large corporations and the top 1% for everything that goes wrong, I agree.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

nebs, you were one of the loudest voices on this board saying that bush, cheney were driving up prices to benefit their oil buddies

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
True, it's more myth than reality that the sitting president can do much about today's prices. Both sides distort that to score political points, neither side has a monopoly on that crap...
I'm with you on that.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
nebs, you were one of the loudest voices on this board saying that bush, cheney were driving up prices to benefit their oil buddies
I think It is more likely that they pushed a war in Iraq to benefit their oil buddies.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I think It is more likely that they pushed a war in Iraq to benefit their oil buddies.
100% correct.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
100% correct.
It is 100% true (an absolute for Spence's benefit) that Zimmy is 100% correct (an absolute postulated by a liberal who apparently has room for absolutes in his real world) that Zimmy "thinks" it is "more likely" (a typical progressive relative derived from a possibility or maybe) that "they" pushed for a war in Iraq to benefit their oil buddies.

Not sure how that works, but if so, who is pushing what now, to benefit their oil buddies? Oil prices are up, Obama is President . . . hmmm.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Nebe

Do you guys remember the 'top secret' classified energy summit that happened at the whitehouse before or just as we invaded Iraq??

That summit's purpose was to plan who was going to get to control the oil fields.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Do you guys remember the 'top secret' classified energy summit that happened at the whitehouse before or just as we invaded Iraq??

That summit's purpose was to plan who was going to get to control the oil fields.
When the plan to invade Iraq was voted on in the Senate, it was approved by the following senators: Schumer, Feinstein, Boxer, Kerry, edwards, Biden, Clinton...

Those are some very influential Democrats. They were all in the pocket of Big Oil?

President Bill Clinton said many times he was positive that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. What was Clinton's motive for saying that?

Eben, if all Bush cared about was Big Oil, why did he do such amazing work fighting AIDS in Africa? What profit margin was he after there?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Nebe

Iraq oil map among U.S. energy task-force files - MarketWatch
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
spence

I think it's certainly fair to say that oil was a significant motivator for the Iraq war, but it's more likely that the motivation was more strategic in terms of US regional influence than simple cronyism.

-spence
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
spence

Considering the oil resources at play, I'd think it irresponsible to NOT have plans in place if you intended to destabilize the country.

That being said, it appears to be one of the few post-war items they paid any attention to at all.

-spence
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Considering the oil resources at play, I'd think it irresponsible to NOT have plans in place if you intended to destabilize the country.

That being said, it appears to be one of the few post-war items they paid any attention to at all.

-spence
It doesnt take half a brain to read between the lines with what happened back then. The sheep fell for the WMD bait and and switch. What I didn't see coming was that China was awarded first dibs with Iraq's oil... Just one more reason why they own us.

Last edited by Nebe; 08-11-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Nebe

I really love shutting down threads with facts. ..
Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (147.8 KB, 431 views)
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

um no
Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
um no
you don't have a cat?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
you don't have a cat?
It was shut down with the thread.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Nebe

If we all lived in Germany in the early 1940's scott would definately fallen for the bait back then, and he falls for the bait now.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
Which facts? The fact that you linked to an article. The article doesn't present any "facts" that prove that Iraq was invaded to benefit Bush's oil buddies. It doesn't even imply it, but says that anti-war activists would try to make hay with the documents. Plus it's an old article that has been made pretty much moot with newer ones and with actual facts that imply the opposite of what you claim.

As you note, and didn't see coming, mostly other than American oil companies have been benefited. in the 2009 auction for contracts on oil extraction in Iraq, no U.S. based oil companies won a contract.

A Time Magazine article, 12/19/2009, stated "Those who claim that the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003 to get control of the country's giant oil reserves will be left scratching their heads by the results of last weekend's auction of Iraqi oil contracts: not a single U.S. company secured a deal in the auction . . ." It quotes Alex Munton, middle east oil analyst for the energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie: "[This] certainly answers the theory that the war was for the benefit of big U.S. oil interests. That has not been demonstrated by what happened this week."

A 1/18/2010 article in INVESTOPEDIA ends with "the perception that American oil companies would receive preferential treatment in a post war Iraq have been proven false so far, with only two U.S. based companies receiving contracts to develop iraqi oil fields, this is a sharp slap in the face to conspiracy theorists everwhere."

Andrei Kuzayev, president of Lukoil, one of the Russian oil companies that were awarded contracts in the 2009 auction said "The strategic interest of the U.S. is in new oil supplies arriving on the world market, to lower prices . . . it is not important that we did not take part in the coalition [to invade Iraq] . . .For America, the important thing is open access to reserves. And that is happening in Iraq." Mostly without access to oil by American companies.

Philip Frayne, U.S. Embassy Spokesman in Baghdad, said, after the 2009 auction round "The results of the bid round should lay to rest the old canard that the U.S. intervened in Iraq to secure oil for American companies." So far, I have not heard that Obama has had him removed.

The 2010 Wikileaks revealed a great deal of troublesome "facts" about U.S. government involvements, including the Iraq war, and the "secret" discussions by higherups regarding the reasons to go to war, but the leaks revealed NO plans to do so to profit Bush's "oil buddies."
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
If we all lived in Germany in the early 1940's scott would definately fallen for the bait back then, and he falls for the bait now.
nice touch
Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
As you note, and didn't see coming, mostly other than American oil companies have been benefited. in the 2009 auction for contracts on oil extraction in Iraq, no U.S. based oil companies won a contract.

A Time Magazine article, 12/19/2009, stated "Those who claim that the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003 to get control of the country's giant oil reserves will be left scratching their heads by the results of last weekend's auction of Iraqi oil contracts: not a single U.S. company secured a deal in the auction . . ." It quotes Alex Munton, middle east oil analyst for the energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie: "[This] certainly answers the theory that the war was for the benefit of big U.S. oil interests. That has not been demonstrated by what happened this week."

A 1/18/2010 article in INVESTOPEDIA ends with "the perception that American oil companies would receive preferential treatment in a post war Iraq have been proven false so far, with only two U.S. based companies receiving contracts to develop iraqi oil fields, this is a sharp slap in the face to conspiracy theorists everwhere."
So what? Most things didn't go as the administration planned. The fact that we didn't receive preferential treatment years later, doesn't mean that it wasn't what drove Cheney to push Dub to war. Maybe it was just a family grudge. 9/11 just gave him the politcal weight to do it.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
So what? Most things didn't go as the administration planned. The fact that we didn't receive preferential treatment years later, doesn't mean that it wasn't what drove Cheney to push Dub to war. Maybe it was just a family grudge. 9/11 just gave him the politcal weight to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp zimmy.bmp (147.8 KB, 419 views)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
zimmy

Quote:
That beard is way to nice for me. A good try, though

Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
So what? Most things didn't go as the administration planned.

"So what?" is not a fact. I was responding to Nebe's "facts". And conspiracy theories are only facts in that they are conspiracy theories. Opinions are not facts. How do you know that things didn't go as the administration planned? You seem to think they lied about so much, maybe they lied about what they planned. Maybe they wanted things to happen just as they have. They were, aparently, smart enough to fool Congress (not that Congress is made of the sharpest tacks). Or is it that the Bush administration was sometimes cunningly devious and other times dumb as a rock.

The fact that we didn't receive preferential treatment years later, doesn't mean that it wasn't what drove Cheney to push Dub to war.

So what? That we didn't get what you say bush planned, doesn't actually mean he did plan it. Is there some hidden logic or "fact" in your assertion?

Maybe it was just a family grudge. 9/11 just gave him the politcal weight to do it.
Oh, so now we switch to another pseudo-fact, the family grudge thing. The factual substance to your opinions are astounding.

I notice you skipped the quote by Obama's Embassy Spokesman in Iraq. Maybe Obama is in cahoots with Bush's plan. He's certainly in step with most of his other plans. The circle of conspiracy widens. And I guess the quote by the pesident of one of the Russian companies is another "fact" that is of no interest.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-11-2012 at 08:51 PM..