Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Jim in CT

student loan forgivemess

Harvard’s endowment is over $40,000,000.000.00

Instead of asking Harvard to pony up to make college more affordable, we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill for student loans that fund the harvard empire.

It gives colleges less incentive to cut costs, not more, when you transfer student loans to the public.

So stupid.

Why do peoplle who have loans today, deserve a gift more than people who just got done paying off their loans?’

It’s exactly backwards.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

It’s completely idiotic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
wdmso

we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill

Why are you against those people kids who are getting 10k wiped cleaned

So now they only owe 80k in student loans

Old 08-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It’s completely idiotic
republicans do plenty of idiotic things.

this is a vote buy that has absolutely zero logic. It incentivized colleges to double the price. Why not, the feds will pick up the tab.

it’s wrong for so many different reasons.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
republicans do plenty of idiotic things.

this is a vote buy that has absolutely zero logic. It incentivized colleges to double the price. Why not, the feds will pick up the tab.

it’s wrong for so many different reasons.

this is a vote buy

I thought you respected POTUS who keep their campaign promises

so Only liberals go to college and have loans. And are the only Americans getting this relief .

Yep that’s what the Maga universe thinks
Old 08-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill

Why are you against those people kids who are getting 10k wiped cleaned

So now they only owe 80k in student loans

You can't get one right by accident, can you?

Tell me why, if someone voluntarily chose to take out this kind of loan at this time...why are they more deserving of this gift, than others who chose not to go to college, or others who went to college and paid their loans back already. Tell us WHY these people, who owe money today, deserve this money more than anyone else who is struggling for any reason.

Do you not understand, that this gives colleges more reason to raise prices? Just take out bigger loans that will be wiped clean.

You are physically incapable of disagreeing with anything the left does.

Please, tell me what you’d say to somebody who made big sacrifices and just done paying off their student loans?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-24-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Old 08-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

He’s waiting for the MSNBC story so he can reply to you with the proper talking points.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
He’s waiting for the MSNBC story so he can reply to you with the proper talking points.
i have a neighbor who’s kid didn’t want to go to college. he took out a small business loan and bought a trailer and some landscaping equipment, owns his own little business

Give me one conceivable reason why a student loan gets forgiven, but not his business loan?

answer - student loans enrich colleges which are huge allies of the democrat party.

this is also a huge transfer of wealth from the poor to the upper class.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Stand by…..he’s preparing his classic “you’re a sheep” and “spoken like a true MAGA cult member” defense.

If that doesn’t prove you wrong, I don’t know what else will

Shocking

Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Stand by…..he’s preparing his classic “you’re a sheep” and “spoken like a true MAGA cult member” defense.

you posted a photo once of what it’s like debating with these guys…a cinder block?

it’s stupid for many many reasons.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump saves millions in property taxes by owning a dozen goats & pretending Bedminster is a farm, but GOP wants you to believe relieving student debt is a handout.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:22 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Forgiven PPP loans

Marjorie Taylor Greene: $183,504

Boebert: $233,305

Catholic Church: $3.5 billion

Joel Osteen: $4.4 million

Tom Brady: $960,855

GOP should slink away in shame for attacking Biden for forgiving $10,000 of student debt

But they won’t cuz they have no shame
Old 08-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

MAGA Boomer: At your age I paid off college & bought a house w/hard work

Millennials: At your age college was 3% of median salary—Now its 20%. A median home was $17K—Now its $363K. The top marginal tax rate was 70%—now its 37%. You worked hard—& then closed the door behind you.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:54 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Trump saves millions in property taxes by owning a dozen goats & pretending Bedminster is a farm, but GOP wants you to believe relieving student debt is a handout.
so it’s not a handout, because trump takes advantage of existing loopholes.

we’re all shocked you pivoted to Trump bashing here pete. Stunned.

There are plenty of democrats who hate this. Sorry,,this one has nothing to do with trump.

Oh, and isn’t that what about-ism? as always, everything is ok when the left does it!
Old 08-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
MAGA Boomer: At your age I paid off college & bought a house w/hard work

Millennials: At your age college was 3% of median salary—Now its 20%. A median home was $17K—Now its $363K. The top marginal tax rate was 70%—now its 37%. You worked hard—& then closed the door behind you.
loan forgivemess encourages colleges to keep hiking cost. there’s less reason for them to keep costs down now. you don’t see that?

and again, why do student loans get forgiven, but not small business loans taken out by young people who chose not to go to college? i’d live an explanation for that.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-25-2022 at 06:28 AM..
Old 08-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
loan forgivemess encourages colleges to keep hiking cost. there’s less reason for them to keep costs down now. you don’t see that?

and again, why do student loans get forgiven, but not small business loans taken out by young people who chose not to go to college? i’d live an explanation for that.
I have always been a right leaning independent who appreciates most of the republican platforms over my adult life. I am not a democrat. BUT...at 65 years of age (next month) I can clearly see the R party has not done #^&#^&#^&#^& for me. it is all about the small rich in power groups that have survived the fiscal musical chair charade that has existed since I first got in the working world. Politicians don't give a #^&#^&#^&#^& about me. Their rules and laws have porked me all along. In divorce court, when I had to give up half my 4o1k and retirement funds. And then had to pay early withdrawal penalty AND taxes when ex did not roll it over. I did not put in for unemployment. Nor did I get a call to apply for PPP, since I couldn't conceive that I would do so on my own... Just did not occur to me. And now all that boondoggle money is forgiven! Just go through the list in your own town and see who got it, sometimes twice, and were forgiven... It is disgusting how there was zero accountability. Note that I did not assign that disaster to a political party... I have paid my taxes. I pay cash for home improvements. We do not have credit card debt or any car loans. We have a mortgage which will likely not be paid off in my lifetime after getting #^&#^&#^&#^&ed by Bank America when they sold off a portion of our loan but held onto the rest of it... Took us 8 years to get out of there. Thieves. Care to assign a political party to that? I can. So I am not in the one percenter group. Nor the ten percent group... And I am resigned and ok with that at this stage of life. I recognize who the scumbags are. This student loan deal is the very first that will directly affect me in a positive way, as I still have about 20k left on my kids' loans and they are almost 30 years old. My ex still has over 100k in her name... Don't care. But the system allowed everyone to take these loans by simply typing on a laptop... And which party appears to have the support of the people who ran those lenders???? The can gets kicked down the road again. And will continue until the government takes away the ability of colleges to rape the population with these outrageous tuitions to support and pay "instructors" who are teaching our youth a bunch of nothing... I am going to take the 10k reduction and recognize it as the first and only piece that has been of direct benefit to me... I have been paying for all the other CRAP for decades so i have zero remorse on this one.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #17
Nebe

Where is everyone’s outrage when the rich get tax cuts worth billions?

Realistically I see this move doing nothing for the economy.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #18
wdmso

Student A owes 80k 2 days ago
Biden offers relief to a small subset of student loans. Now Student A owes 70k. Wow

Then they say it will raise inflation which is nonsense

Case in point my Daughter will get the 10 k debt relief. Her 1 loan is from nelnet all she owes is 7k . So her 113 a month is not a windfall or going to send her on a spending spree. It covers inflation maybe

And I guess there won’t be 1 child of a republican or conservatives who will get any debt relief

But of course the usual suspects will fame it as elitist (. Jim using Harvard as his example) getting money on the backs of the working class

When it’s the working class who can’t afford to go to college with out loans ..

More manufactured outrage from the conservatives sheep networks

Last week outrage over blacks skipping white teachers. now 20k relief for lower income blacks. Over whites.. not a good week for some
Old 08-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Student A owes 80k 2 days ago
Biden offers relief to a small subset of student loans. Now Student A owes 70k. Wow

Then they say it will raise inflation which is nonsense

Case in point my Daughter will get the 10 k debt relief. Her 1 loan is from nelnet all she owes is 7k . So her 113 a month is not a windfall or going to send her on a spending spree. It covers inflation maybe

And I guess there won’t be 1 child of a republican or conservatives who will get any debt relief

But of course the usual suspects will fame it as elitist (. Jim using Harvard as his example) getting money on the backs of the working class

When it’s the working class who can’t afford to go to college with out loans ..

More manufactured outrage from the conservatives sheep networks

Last week outrage over blacks skipping white teachers. now 20k relief for lower income blacks. Over whites.. not a good week for some
300 billion is nothing, right. about $1,000 for every human being in the country.

you dodged my question. twice. so here it is a third time

Your daughters 7k loan is wiped out. why does she deserve that,, more than someone else who took out a 7k loan for something other than college? why is she more important?

please answer that question.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-25-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

you don’t get it. a tax cut is allowing people to keep more of what is theirs. It’s THEIRS. we can debate whether the wealthy pay enough, but that’s what a tax cut is.

This idiotic move, is nothing like that. This is taking money from poorer people and giving it to wealthier people.

Why am i responsible ( after paying off my wife’s masters degree last year with no help from the taxpayers) for someone else’s debt? They borrowed the money, it’s their obligation, not mine.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

student loan debt forgivemess applies tom individuals earning less than 125k or families earning less than 250.

a family making 250k needs to transfer the burden of their loans to poor working people? you’re ok with that?
Old 08-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #22
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

For Christ's sake, Jim, since when did you start writing checks for my student loan??? Mail has come. Don't see your payment. Talking rubbish and taking zero accountability despite saying you do not respect Trump as a person.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Paul S, on the school choice discussion you said you were adamantly opposed to using your tax dollars to subsidize private schools. Can we assume then, that you are therefore equally opposed to student loan forgiveness, which will send tens of billions of dollars to enrich private schools?
Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

You are irresponsible in your posts. Quote me properly. "This" is not "his" so it will not be put in a political context. This is a write off... YOU are not writing a check directly for this write off. It is a governmental accounting practice. You will not be writing a check with a memo that says "deadbeat student loan debit" anymore than you will be writing the check for the HIMARS being sent to Ukraine. Face the fact that politics and politicians are crooked. Yours. Mine. Everyone of them. So until you get my student loan forgiveness bill, STFU.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:

Shocking

You were 100% right, he finally responded and said it was fake outrage from the sheep. That was the best he could do.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #26
wdmso

Biden’s Student-Debt Bonfire Is a Classist Message to the Uncredentialed: Screw ’Em

Like I said republicans are trying to twist this as some elites scam of hard working minimum wage Americans whom republicans think don’t deserve 15.00 an hour and are using the working class as victims .

So disconnected that these workers who are construction workers or work factories . Or at the deli counter
Aspire for their kids to be more then them .

I was in the military and corrections officer not really by my choice but because my parents couldn’t pay for college on their own just like with my children 1 who needed loans to go to school and the other who joined the Air Force to pay for his ( which the tax payer’s pay)

Thus helps the middle and lower income people and Republicans can’t stand it .. because they might vote . But not for them
Old 08-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
You were 100% right, he finally responded and said it was fake outrage from the sheep. That was the best he could do.
You 2 do hate the Truth
Old 08-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
Paul S, on the school choice discussion you said you were adamantly opposed to using your tax dollars to subsidize private schools. Can we assume then, that you are therefore equally opposed to student loan forgiveness, which will send tens of billions of dollars to enrich private schools?
I am actually.

I think it would have been better to just continue wiping out debt for those who went to those scam for private schools (which where protected by the Rep. party)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
You 2 do hate the Truth
4th time, why is it important for all of us to pay back your daughters loan, yet you feel
no obligation to pay off the small business loan taken out by the 18 year old who lives next door to me.

Why is forgiving your loans more important to the american public, than forgiving his loan?

The “truth” is, that’s what just happened. So why can’t you tell us why it’s a good idea?
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I am actually.
then in all seriousness and zero sarcasm,,you have the courage of your convictions, and i admire that.