Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Laundry plumbing backing up issue

OK, I have a recent issue I will describe best I can. This did happen years ago once or twice also when I had water leak into the basement underneath. When the Speed Queen washer discharges after the wash or rinse, sometimes bubbles come out where the hose goes into the waste pipe in the wall and also gurgles up thru the bathroom sink on the opposite wall and water can come back up into that sink but it will then recede down and empty pretty quickly. That sink drains for 10 feet maybe before connecting to the 2" in the basement so it's not like it is right there, I find it odd that suds will make water backup that drain as well, maybe since the sink drain is at a lower elevation, the water goes up the path of least resistance IDK. The laundry has been fine for 25 years and has only a 1-1/2" pipe in the wall that goes into a 2" vent then down the wall into basement(2") where it has the sink drain(1-1/2") connect into it then leads out.
I ran 25 feet of snake into it and there is zero backup, not even a piece of lint.
Both waste pipes are vented properly.
I think it has something to do with the wife stopped adding vinegar to some loads of wash and the winter time cold water temperature is a lot colder than warmer months so it is affecting soap conditions in the washer if that make any sense. She was using some powder Oxi something along with some liquid detergent but a lot of times it would still have powder in the tub after washing, I told her dissolve it in water first if she adds that.
I did searching online and found that this happens to others as well. Speed queen website states using liquid fabric softener can help and I also read don't use the NORMAL/ECO mode that only has one rinse cycle and uses less water. We used to use that all the time. I also read to run empty washes with bleach to clear out excess soap, or vinegar or washing machine tablets that are supposed to clean it all done in hot water. We did 5 or more runs like that.
So now she uses a small amount of liquid fabric softener and pods for soap even though we have always used HE detergents, and now if she does one load - it seems to drain well and the floor is not wet but when she does another load right away within 30-40 minutes I'm guessing, it backs up in the sink again.

I think it is a soap suds issue but I don't understand how water cannot go around or thru soap bubbles.

my next effort if I don't want to wait an hour or so between loads will be to change out the laundry waste pipe to 2" in exchange for the 1-1/2" in the wall behind the washer, I already opened up the sheetrock to see it all. I am not sure that will even matter.

Any advice?
Thanks

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Redsoxticket

I knew someone that purchased a new washing machine that was overflowing at the waste water pipe and the solution was to extend the vertical height of the waste water pipe.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #3
Nebe

yean i would extent that pipe higher. Also another thought.. have you had your septic pumped lately? sometimes the filter in the septic tank gets clogged up partially and it will create back pressure.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

It is extended pretty high
And it goes to a drywell
Old 01-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
It is extended pretty high
And it goes to a drywell
Dry well ! ….
Really wet year, could be backing up ,,,, washing machine lint is a major contributor to leaching failure….

Now that I think of it, it’s probably clogged with sawdust….. ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Dry well ! ….
Really wet year, could be backing up ,,,, washing machine lint is a major contributor to leaching failure….

Now that I think of it, it’s probably clogged with sawdust….. ;-)