Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 02-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
AT Grimaldi

Spooling with mono from home

All things being equal, if I am spooling up my reels with 50# jinkai mono, can I apply enough pressure manually with a dowel and palming it to pack it on tight?

If so, any suggestions, tips or tricks?

Also, in terms of wet packing, how would I go about doing that?

I have come to the conclusion that after getting properly outfitted, the three (3) most mission-critical tackles supplies will be water, sunscreen and gas - not in that order.

I am pysched for this tuna season. My boat is coming along and would be glad to host people whom are willing/eager to show a newbie the ropes.

- ATG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT Grimaldi

RISAA Member

Ron Arra Lami 1083 biggot!
Penn 4500 SS w/ 14# chart. FireLine

Ron Arra Lami 1083 custom
Abu Garcia C3 6500 Rocket

Hopelessly addicted custom wood addict. Working 2nd Step.
AT Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
fish4striper

spool it as tight as you can to the outside rim. Go out earlier than your 1st trip in open water, dump it all and crank it back in
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
clcharette
Get off my Rock

Why 50 for tuna? Most will be running 80 min..

Just make sure you listen to fish4striper. Its better to overfill the spool if going on loose, once the line goes on tight you'll be good to go.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
buckman

I agree, spool with #80. Spool as tight as you can stand.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Raven

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4striper View Post
spool it as tight as you can to the outside rim. Go out earlier than your 1st trip in open water, dump it all and crank it back in

freshwater speaking.... i sometimes tie off to a tree and reel in tight as i can.... ( after i'm done..... winding off the spool....that is) as i walk towards it

is this not as good as having the line in the water?

i know running it behind the boat "slowly" lets out all the line twist... any thoughts on this method...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

I wouldnt run 50 but rather 80. It gives that extra abrasion/shock resistance and if you get into a pig the line can withstand the high drag setting needed to land 300+ fish. 50 lb line is really a 'tweener size that has no real application in the way most fish for tuna. Plus with 50 wides and up the reels will accept more than enough line to withstand 99% of the runs you will experience. Momoi smoke blue 80 lb breaks at 126lbs and is supple yet abrasion resistant.

When I do my reels I have someone palm it firmly while it is heldon a dowel between legs and put on tight as possible. My first trip I attach a 5 gallon bucket let it out and reel it in from the rod holder to make sure it packs on wet and tight. Pack it on to 1/8" on the reel and when it is reeled in under load you should have1/4" of spool showing. Remember doing this leaves little room for error when reeling in a fish if the angler isnt putting it back on the spool evenly the reel wil seize and you will have huge problems. For the record the 80s and 130 have spectron with a chinese finger to the top shot that are wet packed from the beginning.

Last edited by keeperreaper; 02-17-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
big jay

5 gallon bucket?

That's just plain mean.

I just drop them back with nothing attached and keep the speed up around 7/8 knts - packs on really tight.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

20 minutes of pain per reel but a season of pleasure. It is so tight if you hit it; the line sounds like a block of wood. A fun way to kill a day and a friends arm.

Actually I think the bucket is 4 gallons it is a mayonaiise bucket from a restaurant. You would not get it in if the boat was moving.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote