Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
student loan forgivemess

Harvard’s endowment is over $40,000,000.000.00

Instead of asking Harvard to pony up to make college more affordable, we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill for student loans that fund the harvard empire.

It gives colleges less incentive to cut costs, not more, when you transfer student loans to the public.

So stupid.

Why do peoplle who have loans today, deserve a gift more than people who just got done paying off their loans?’

It’s exactly backwards.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 18,124
It’s completely idiotic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It’s completely idiotic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
republicans do plenty of idiotic things.

this is a vote buy that has absolutely zero logic. It incentivized colleges to double the price. Why not, the feds will pick up the tab.

it’s wrong for so many different reasons.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #4
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
republicans do plenty of idiotic things.

this is a vote buy that has absolutely zero logic. It incentivized colleges to double the price. Why not, the feds will pick up the tab.

it’s wrong for so many different reasons.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

this is a vote buy

I thought you respected POTUS who keep their campaign promises

so Only liberals go to college and have loans. And are the only Americans getting this relief .

Yep that’s what the Maga universe thinks
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 8,838
we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill

Why are you against those people kids who are getting 10k wiped cleaned

So now they only owe 80k in student loans


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
we’re going to tax middle class truck drivers and plumbers to foot the bill

Why are you against those people kids who are getting 10k wiped cleaned

So now they only owe 80k in student loans


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You can't get one right by accident, can you?

Tell me why, if someone voluntarily chose to take out this kind of loan at this time...why are they more deserving of this gift, than others who chose not to go to college, or others who went to college and paid their loans back already. Tell us WHY these people, who owe money today, deserve this money more than anyone else who is struggling for any reason.

Do you not understand, that this gives colleges more reason to raise prices? Just take out bigger loans that will be wiped clean.

You are physically incapable of disagreeing with anything the left does.

Please, tell me what you’d say to somebody who made big sacrifices and just done paying off their student loans?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-24-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 18,124
He’s waiting for the MSNBC story so he can reply to you with the proper talking points.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He’s waiting for the MSNBC story so he can reply to you with the proper talking points.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
i have a neighbor who’s kid didn’t want to go to college. he took out a small business loan and bought a trailer and some landscaping equipment, owns his own little business

Give me one conceivable reason why a student loan gets forgiven, but not his business loan?

answer - student loans enrich colleges which are huge allies of the democrat party.

this is also a huge transfer of wealth from the poor to the upper class.


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i have a neighbor who’s kid didn’t want to go to college. he took out a small business loan and bought a trailer and some landscaping equipment, owns his own little business

Give me one conceivable reason why a student loan gets forgiven, but not his business loan?

answer - student loans enrich colleges which are huge allies of the democrat party.

this is also a huge transfer of wealth from the poor to the upper class.


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Gonna run up the BS flag on you here. First you need to back up your answer with facts about how student loans and their forgiveness directly enrich colleges. I am sure you can come up with bullet proof documentation... And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,035
$800 Billion in the PPP boondoggle makes this look like well spent chump change. The #^&#^&#^&#^& people get crazy about and they conveniently forget when they benefitted from going to the well.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #11
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
$800 Billion in the PPP boondoggle makes this look like well spent chump change. The #^&#^&#^&#^& people get crazy about and they conveniently forget when they benefitted from going to the well.....
i didn’t like PPP either, but that was done to save jobs that weren’t lost by anyone’s choice, they were lost because the government shut them down.

the government didn’t force anybody to take out any student loans.

why should a poor person struggling every month, bear the burden of someone making 250k who chose to take out loans? other then the fact that you like that you’re benefitting, what’s the logic?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #12
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
.. And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....
so weak,,,,,,,
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:59 PM   #13
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Gonna run up the BS flag on you here. First you need to back up your answer with facts about how student loans and their forgiveness directly enrich colleges. I am sure you can come up with bullet proof documentation... And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....
call back all you want.

government-backed loans are a huge boon to colleges. The college has absolutely zero risk because they get their money up front.

economics 101. cheap money makes prices higher.

this will make it way worse. kids will
assume future loans will
be transferred away from
them, so why not take out a stupid loan?

i don’t have documentation. it’s common sense. if students were forced to rely on savings, colleges would be forced to lower prices.

you can’t win this one with logic. because there isn’t any to support it. it’s a vote buying transfer of wealth that will benefit affluent people
far more than it will benefit poor people.

business owners were victims of ( it turns out) stupid state governments shutting down the economy. the business owners didn’t choose to shut down the economy
.

your kids chose to take out the loans. big, big difference.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 18,124
Stand by…..he’s preparing his classic “you’re a sheep” and “spoken like a true MAGA cult member” defense.

If that doesn’t prove you wrong, I don’t know what else will

Shocking

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM   #15
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Stand by…..he’s preparing his classic “you’re a sheep” and “spoken like a true MAGA cult member” defense.

If that doesn’t prove you wrong, I don’t know what else will
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you posted a photo once of what it’s like debating with these guys…a cinder block?

it’s stupid for many many reasons.


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Stand by…..he’s preparing his classic “you’re a sheep” and “spoken like a true MAGA cult member” defense.

If that doesn’t prove you wrong, I don’t know what else will

Shocking

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You were 100% right, he finally responded and said it was fake outrage from the sheep. That was the best he could do.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #17
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You were 100% right, he finally responded and said it was fake outrage from the sheep. That was the best he could do.
You 2 do hate the Truth
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #18
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
You 2 do hate the Truth
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
4th time, why is it important for all of us to pay back your daughters loan, yet you feel
no obligation to pay off the small business loan taken out by the 18 year old who lives next door to me.

Why is forgiving your loans more important to the american public, than forgiving his loan?

The “truth” is, that’s what just happened. So why can’t you tell us why it’s a good idea?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 13,017
Trump saves millions in property taxes by owning a dozen goats & pretending Bedminster is a farm, but GOP wants you to believe relieving student debt is a handout.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:54 AM   #20
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Trump saves millions in property taxes by owning a dozen goats & pretending Bedminster is a farm, but GOP wants you to believe relieving student debt is a handout.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
so it’s not a handout, because trump takes advantage of existing loopholes.

we’re all shocked you pivoted to Trump bashing here pete. Stunned.

There are plenty of democrats who hate this. Sorry,,this one has nothing to do with trump.

Oh, and isn’t that what about-ism? as always, everything is ok when the left does it!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:22 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 13,017
Forgiven PPP loans

Marjorie Taylor Greene: $183,504

Boebert: $233,305

Catholic Church: $3.5 billion

Joel Osteen: $4.4 million

Tom Brady: $960,855

GOP should slink away in shame for attacking Biden for forgiving $10,000 of student debt

But they won’t cuz they have no shame
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 13,017
MAGA Boomer: At your age I paid off college & bought a house w/hard work

Millennials: At your age college was 3% of median salary—Now its 20%. A median home was $17K—Now its $363K. The top marginal tax rate was 70%—now its 37%. You worked hard—& then closed the door behind you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #23
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
MAGA Boomer: At your age I paid off college & bought a house w/hard work

Millennials: At your age college was 3% of median salary—Now its 20%. A median home was $17K—Now its $363K. The top marginal tax rate was 70%—now its 37%. You worked hard—& then closed the door behind you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
loan forgivemess encourages colleges to keep hiking cost. there’s less reason for them to keep costs down now. you don’t see that?

and again, why do student loans get forgiven, but not small business loans taken out by young people who chose not to go to college? i’d live an explanation for that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-25-2022 at 06:28 AM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
loan forgivemess encourages colleges to keep hiking cost. there’s less reason for them to keep costs down now. you don’t see that?

and again, why do student loans get forgiven, but not small business loans taken out by young people who chose not to go to college? i’d live an explanation for that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I have always been a right leaning independent who appreciates most of the republican platforms over my adult life. I am not a democrat. BUT...at 65 years of age (next month) I can clearly see the R party has not done #^&#^&#^&#^& for me. it is all about the small rich in power groups that have survived the fiscal musical chair charade that has existed since I first got in the working world. Politicians don't give a #^&#^&#^&#^& about me. Their rules and laws have porked me all along. In divorce court, when I had to give up half my 4o1k and retirement funds. And then had to pay early withdrawal penalty AND taxes when ex did not roll it over. I did not put in for unemployment. Nor did I get a call to apply for PPP, since I couldn't conceive that I would do so on my own... Just did not occur to me. And now all that boondoggle money is forgiven! Just go through the list in your own town and see who got it, sometimes twice, and were forgiven... It is disgusting how there was zero accountability. Note that I did not assign that disaster to a political party... I have paid my taxes. I pay cash for home improvements. We do not have credit card debt or any car loans. We have a mortgage which will likely not be paid off in my lifetime after getting #^&#^&#^&#^&ed by Bank America when they sold off a portion of our loan but held onto the rest of it... Took us 8 years to get out of there. Thieves. Care to assign a political party to that? I can. So I am not in the one percenter group. Nor the ten percent group... And I am resigned and ok with that at this stage of life. I recognize who the scumbags are. This student loan deal is the very first that will directly affect me in a positive way, as I still have about 20k left on my kids' loans and they are almost 30 years old. My ex still has over 100k in her name... Don't care. But the system allowed everyone to take these loans by simply typing on a laptop... And which party appears to have the support of the people who ran those lenders???? The can gets kicked down the road again. And will continue until the government takes away the ability of colleges to rape the population with these outrageous tuitions to support and pay "instructors" who are teaching our youth a bunch of nothing... I am going to take the 10k reduction and recognize it as the first and only piece that has been of direct benefit to me... I have been paying for all the other CRAP for decades so i have zero remorse on this one.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,035
You are irresponsible in your posts. Quote me properly. "This" is not "his" so it will not be put in a political context. This is a write off... YOU are not writing a check directly for this write off. It is a governmental accounting practice. You will not be writing a check with a memo that says "deadbeat student loan debit" anymore than you will be writing the check for the HIMARS being sent to Ukraine. Face the fact that politics and politicians are crooked. Yours. Mine. Everyone of them. So until you get my student loan forgiveness bill, STFU.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #26
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Libtardia
Posts: 21,403
Where is everyone’s outrage when the rich get tax cuts worth billions?

Realistically I see this move doing nothing for the economy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #27
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Where is everyone’s outrage when the rich get tax cuts worth billions?

Realistically I see this move doing nothing for the economy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you don’t get it. a tax cut is allowing people to keep more of what is theirs. It’s THEIRS. we can debate whether the wealthy pay enough, but that’s what a tax cut is.

This idiotic move, is nothing like that. This is taking money from poorer people and giving it to wealthier people.

Why am i responsible ( after paying off my wife’s masters degree last year with no help from the taxpayers) for someone else’s debt? They borrowed the money, it’s their obligation, not mine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

you don’t get it. a tax cut is allowing people to keep more of what is theirs. It’s THEIRS. we can debate whether the wealthy pay enough, but that’s what a tax cut is.


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you'd think you wouldn't have to explain this to intelligent people....

the folks with student loans got the degree(product) presumably or some education, room and board...., now they decided they don't want to pay for it despite promising to pay for it....they should have to give back all or part of the degree(I don't think they can return the food and housing they consumed) if they don't want to pay for it....

student loan payments have been paused for more than two years....and will continue to be paused till December....and they can't pay their student loans in brandon's fabulous economy?

Last edited by scottw; 08-25-2022 at 10:07 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #29
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you'd think you wouldn't have to explain this to intelligent people....

the folks with student loans got the degree(product) presumably or some education, room and board...., now they decided they don't want to pay for it despite promising to pay for it....

Wrongly accused. Show me where I fit in to your narrative, please.

they should have to give back all or part of the degree(I don't think they can return the food and housing they consumed) if they don't want to pay for it....

student loan payments have been paused for more than two years....and will continue to be paused till December....and they cab't pay their student loans in brandon's fabulous economy?
Again, YOU have wrongly represented ME in your political narrative, and your gross generalizations are showing your lack of insight for your argument.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #30
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post


Again, YOU have wrongly represented ME

.
I didn't even know you were here...
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com