Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-30-2021, 05:07 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Wonder why Merrill Garland let the Durham investigation continue?

The Durham probe has not only done nothing to help Trump, it’s now backfired on him in a way that’s put the Alfa Bank Russian server back into the headlines.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-30-2021, 05:55 AM   #32
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Wonder why Merrill Garland....

who?
Old 10-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
who?
Autocorrect

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #34
detbuch

Drip.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #35
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Drip.

What’s next bill maher as if Watters has an legitimate objective bone in his Body
Old 11-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

What’s next bill maher as if Watters has an legitimate objective bone in his Body

WAAAAAAIIIIIITTTTT...AND YOU DO?
Old 11-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

Keep spinning
Half of the intel observations in the Steele Dossier have been confirmed.
Most of the rest are unverified, meaning they are neither true nor false.

There were 3 with errors (nationality of DNC hackers, other names), but mostly true.

Steele told the FBI that at best the raw intel was 70% accurate.

Much of Steele's intelligence is about Trump's views toward Russia and Russia policy being compromised by financial interests dangled before him by the Kremlin—not hacking or propaganda ops.
Mueller's report never addressed Trump's actual/attempted financial dealings in Russia—all of which he lied to U.S. voters about and all of which are now 100% confirmed.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #38
scottw

Quote:
Keep spinning

There were 3 with errors (nationality of DNC hackers, other names), but mostly true.

Much of Steele's intelligence is about Trump's views toward Russia and Russia policy being compromised by financial interests dangled before him by the Kremlin—not hacking or propaganda ops.
Mueller's report never addressed Trump's actual/attempted financial dealings in Russia—all of which he lied to U.S. voters about and all of which are now 100% confirmed.
oh good news...trump should be going to jail any day now as you've been predicting every day for countless years....
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

He asked three different foreign countries to interfere in our elections, and he extorted one of them by illegally withholding hundreds of millions of dollars. He wanted to overthrow the constitutional government and incited a deadly insurrection. And he is a free person.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Keep spinning

“most of the rest are unverified”

yet they were used to violate the civil liberties of an american citizen.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
“most of the rest are unverified”

yet they were used to violate the civil liberties of an american citizen.
So if we know that all intel dossiers have some inaccurate information and some uncorroborated or unprovable assertions; and Steele told the FBI his was 30% inaccurate; of course if the FBI cited the dossier, it was going to include some inaccuracies.
So perhaps the FBI should never be able to cite any intel in seeking a FISA warrant? Would the USIC be okay with that? DOJ? The FBI? Republicans? No, I don't think so.

The standard of proof in a FISA warrant is probable cause, and they're almost never denied.
In this case the warrant didn't just involve "a former Trump campaign adviser" (Carter Page) but a former Trump campaign adviser repeatedly suspected by the FBI in the past of working with Russian spies (and they had evidence, too!)
The man the FBI sought a warrant for had also been the subject of a prior CI probe.
(As had Trump's top Russia adviser, Dimitri Simes, BTW. Simes has since fled to Moscow, and now works for Putin.)

Then look at Manafort and Derispaska, millions of dollars in debt was forgiven when Manafort became campaign manager

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
So if we know that all intel dossiers have some inaccurate information and some uncorroborated or unprovable assertions; and Steele told the FBI his was 30% inaccurate; of course if the FBI cited the dossier, it was going to include some inaccuracies.
So perhaps the FBI should never be able to cite any intel in seeking a FISA warrant? Would the USIC be okay with that? DOJ? The FBI? Republicans? No, I don't think so.

The standard of proof in a FISA warrant is probable cause, and they're almost never denied.
In this case the warrant didn't just involve "a former Trump campaign adviser" (Carter Page) but a former Trump campaign adviser repeatedly suspected by the FBI in the past of working with Russian spies (and they had evidence, too!)
The man the FBI sought a warrant for had also been the subject of a prior CI probe.
(As had Trump's top Russia adviser, Dimitri Simes, BTW. Simes has since fled to Moscow, and now works for Putin.)

Then look at Manafort and Derispaska, millions of dollars in debt was forgiven when Manafort became campaign manager
the guy who put this dossier together, was arrested for lying to the fbi 5 times. the previous arrest was also for lying i think?

i have absolutely zero knowledge of such things, neither do you. maybe it’s standard process to rely on partly fabricated facts, put together as political opposition research, to get FISA warrants, and to fail to mention to the FISA court that you’re supporting data was political opposition research, which we now know involved multiple
lies to the FBI.

Maybe that’s par for the course. And maybe it’s not. I have no clue, and neither do you.

but you’ll assume it is, because the alternative ( that the democrats screwed up) is something you can’t begin to contemplate.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:
He asked three different foreign countries to interfere in our elections, and he extorted one of them by illegally withholding hundreds of millions of dollars. He wanted to overthrow the constitutional government and incited a deadly insurrection. And he is a free person.
weird
Old 11-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #44
wdmso

Flynn lied to the FBI but that didn’t seem to matter .. and we all know why! So many excuses
Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
Flynn lied to the FBI but that didn’t seem to matter .. and we all know why! So many excuses
Apparently it does matter to you. But the lies that led to the Carter Page FISA warrant are OK by you.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

The damage done by Durham to our intelligence capability will take years to repair.
Intelligence info is not evidence, if you wait for evidence you’ll be sifting thru the rubble from the next World Trade Center.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #47
detbuch

Quote:
The damage done by Durham to our intelligence capability will take years to repair.
Intelligence info is not evidence, if you wait for evidence you’ll be sifting thru the rubble from the next World Trade Center.
The damage done by our intelligence agencies may never be repaired. It may shape us in directions it chooses which may transform our system of government.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #48
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The damage done by our intelligence agencies may never be repaired. It may shape us in directions it chooses which may transform our system of government.
Oh yea, the deep state.

Durham actually wants you to believe the Steele Dossier is the basis for Crossfire Hurricane, the Mueller probe, the Page FISA, the Magna Carta, Daylight Saving Time, the tides, and the basis for the strong nuclear force that holds all matter - and therefore reality - together.

I don’t know what kind of propagandist you have to be to fall for the ruse that opposition research Russians exploited does away with the Russian intelligence operation Trump enthusiastically embraced.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Oh yea, the deep state.

Durham actually wants you to believe the Steele Dossier is the basis for Crossfire Hurricane, the Mueller probe, the Page FISA, the Magna Carta, Daylight Saving Time, the tides, and the basis for the strong nuclear force that holds all matter - and therefore reality - together.

I don’t know what kind of propagandist you have to be to fall for the ruse that opposition research Russians exploited does away with the Russian intelligence operation Trump enthusiastically embraced.
Uh . . . Oh yea, the deep state and its sneaky lying methods (including huge doses of persistent propaganda) existed long before Trump and will continue long after unless it's checked.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #50
wdmso

Quote:
Apparently it does matter to you. But the lies that led to the Carter Page FISA warrant are OK by you.
Was carter page charged NOPE
Old 11-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Was carter page charged NOPE
Carter Page was not charged because he was not the target and the FBI knew he was not guilty of anything. Which makes the lying to the Court to get the warrant on Page even more deceptive. But it's OK by you to lie in order to get what was in itself an unlawful warrant in order to actually spy on other Americans beyond Page whom the FBI had no legal reason to be spying on which is why a FISA warrant could not have been granted to spy on them.

It was a total distortion of the process that is supposed to protect all of us, not just an isolated case of someone who supposedly lied to the FBI, but actually didn't commit any other crime than that supposed lie and it was known by the FBI that the conversation he supposedly lied about was perfectly legal which made the FBI interrogation as flagrantly corrupt as the lie given to the FISA Court.

It was hard enough to get the FISA process approved because of the grave danger to American citizens if the government was allowed to spy on any of us without extremely solid protection against government abusing our rights and liberties. We were guarantied that the FISA process would protect our rights and liberties from tyrannical invasion of our personal privacy. To so blatantly disregard that protection and get away with it without substantial penalty, and even without loud complaints and demands from the people of this country for the prosecution of all those involved, while at the same time demanding that someone not guilty of a crime for which he was being interrogated, but guilty only of a "process" crime of lying (to interrogators who lied to him) which was not relevant to anything other than that it was false and of no consequence beyond that, be prosecuted to the full extent of the law is all not only an egregiously unbalanced and probably politicized view, but it is even more of a threat to our liberties when the citizens care so little that when government can so easily, without our reproach, trample on those liberties at will. And merely by telling a lie. And when we on the other hand cheer when the government prosecutes a citizen for no other crime than telling it an inconsequential lie.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 11-05-2021 at 09:48 PM..
Old 11-06-2021, 04:51 AM   #52
scottw

Quote:

I don’t know what kind of propagandist you have to be to fall for the ruse
pete vomits propaganda (as usual).... then calls someone else a propagandist....

this is tooooo funny....
Old 11-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Pete, the Steele dossier was one of the supporting documents provided by the FBI to the FISA court. We now know it was garbage, we now know the FBI knew it was political opposition research funded by the Clinton campaign, and we know the FBI didn’t reveal
any of this to the FISA court.

I don’t know if that’s a big deal or not, and unless you have experience with these FISA courts, neither do you. But if you’re ok with the Justice Department doing this to a conservative, I hope you’re on when it’s done to a liberal.

That Hilary paid for opposition research on trump is no biggie. it’s what they did with it, the media was all over that dossier at first, and not many have apologized for spreading baseless smear. because they’re in the bag for hilary.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #54
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Keep spinning

There was and is some correct intelligence in the Steele dossier.
Trump did have deals in Russia and lied about it, plenty more will come out eventually.
You ought to wonder why he pardoned Manafort

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #55
scottw

Quote:

Trump did have deals in Russia and lied about it, plenty more will come out eventually.

yeah, there's hardly been any attention to or investigation of to this point...maybe they'll find something somewhere
Old 11-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #56
wdmso

Quote:
Was Carter Page charged with a Crime? if he wasn't then the system worked as designed.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #57
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Pete, the Steele dossier was one of the supporting documents provided by the FBI to the FISA court. We now know it was garbage, we now know the FBI knew it was political opposition research funded by the Clinton campaign, and we know the FBI didn’t reveal
any of this to the FISA court.

I don’t know if that’s a big deal or not, and unless you have experience with these FISA courts, neither do you. But if you’re ok with the Justice Department doing this to a conservative, I hope you’re on when it’s done to a liberal.

That Hilary paid for opposition research on trump is no biggie. it’s what they did with it, the media was all over that dossier at first, and not many have apologized for spreading baseless smear. because they’re in the bag for hilary.
Conservative Website First Funded Anti-Trump Research by Firm That Later Produced Dossier but but Hillary
Representatives for the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative online news site, informed congressional investigators Friday the outlet had originally funded the research firm that created the salacious dossier containing allegations of ties between Donald Trump's campaign and Russian operatives, the publication said

why is this always absent in this conversation ?
Old 11-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #58
detbuch

Quote:
Was Carter Page charged with a Crime? if he wasn't then the system worked as designed.
No, the system was designed so that those applying for a FISA warrant must tell the truth. That they must not lie. And that those who did not follow the systems rules must be prosecuted for breaking the law.

The system was not designed to unlawfully request and get a FISA warrant on someone who was not being investigated, nor was guilty of anything, in order to sneakily use it, AGAINST the system design, as a back door to spy on others who it would not be possible to get FISA warrants to spy on.

The system was totally trashed. The law was egregiously broken. There was insignificant price that the guilty law breakers paid. An innocent person was put through hell, had his reputation destroyed, and it all showed that the rest of us are not protected from abuse of the system. That the system does not, as designed, protect us, you and me, all Americans, who are not guilty, from illegal, unconstitutional government breach of our individual right to privacy and from the personal destruction of our character and financial well being, if the government wishes it to be so.

Either the system did not work as designed, or it was designed with treacherous hidden government fail safes which enable it to do to us what it promised could not be done to us when Congress approved of the FISA process to "safeguard" us from government tyranny.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
The system was not designed to unlawfully request and get a FISA warrant on someone who was not being investigated
The FISA warrant was so the FBI could INVESTIGATE him.

Seems like the IG found sufficient justification for the initial warrant and neither the IG or Republican led investigation found no evidence of political bias influencing their behavior, even if mistakes had been made.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #60
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Seems
^^^^^favorite word