Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Classifieds Area - NO COMMERCIAL POSTS WHATSOEVER » Classifieds

Classifieds Buy,Sell, or Swap for members only please. NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING - thanks... And if you sell something like a boat through here - throw us a couple bucks for the site please :D

Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
cheferson

WTB Freshly cut hardwood logs

Anyone cutting down any hardwoods or know someone in RI who would sell them? Im looking for Non-aromatic hardwoods such as oak, poplar (cottonwood), elm, maple and similar woods . They need to be 4-8" diameter and 3-4' lengths. I need them after the 1st frost and they need to be freshly cut.

Thanks

Last edited by cheferson; 02-11-2009 at 08:18 PM..
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
cheferson

No one? Ill trade a few logs once i inoculate them with %$%$%$%$akes or can give $$$$
I also placed an ad on CL. If i find someone there whats a fair price to pay per 3-4' long , 4-6" diameter log??

Last edited by cheferson; 02-14-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Cheferson....

They're cutting down THOUSANDS of hardwoods, Oak, Cherry, Hickory and the list goes on up here in Rutland. National Grid is doing some maintenance and chopping any tree that looks like it could fall on 3-phase wires. Anywhere from twigs to one MONSTER tree that had to be about 5 feet in diameter. You just have to fight the "Tree Boogers" that roam around, follow the crews and pounce on any trees that come down. Pickup trucks LOADED riding around

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

rooms ?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Anyone around you sell firewood? They would probably be your best bet, 4-8" diameter are'nt sawlogs and are firewood size.
What do you want it for?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Bill L

Chef, are you looking for a lot or just a few logs? I have that size oaks out back, can cut them when you need them if its just a few
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
rooms ?
Yep. Looking to try it out with mostly %$%$%$%$akes , oysters , and some hen of the woods, lions mane and chicken of the woods. Gonna start out for me and the wife , then maybe farmers markets and some restaurants. Also gonna grow some that glow in the dark. Thanks for the offer bill. Im looking for probally 50, which isd probally more then you want to do. If you do though let me know , would pay $$$ or trade some inoculated logs if you and the family like shrooms. Thanks too Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
cheferson

I cant say %$%$%$%$ake??
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
cheferson

s h i t a k e
Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
choggieman

if you wanna travel to eastern CT, and trade shrooms for the logs when you start producing, I can supply you with all the oak and maple you can ever need

kill em all, let god sort em out!
choggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Interesting idea Chef.
Gourmet 'shrooms. I like it.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

good luck with your endeavor. Don't forget to include a few psilocybin roomis e gloomis's

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I picked 50# of hens this past fall. They grow all over my land.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
good luck with your endeavor. Don't forget to include a few psilocybin roomis e gloomis's
We grew enough of those back in my high school days. I ate so many back then , now I wouldnt take them again if you paid me. They grow better on brown rice flour , then logs anyway .When i was in holland they had about 10 different species , all fresh in plastic containers in the smart shops. Funny thing was they were imported from a grower in florida.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I picked 50# of hens this past fall. They grow all over my land.
What did you do with 50lbs??? If its more then you could use , let me know. Those ussally go for $10+ a lb. . I know a few restaurants that would proabally buy them. Those fruit end of summer fall right? i scored a nice chicken of the woods that was about 5lbs on the way to one of my fishing spots this past fall. It was one of the best tasting mushrooms ive had.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
choggieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by choggieman View Post
if you wanna travel to eastern CT, and trade shrooms for the logs when you start producing, I can supply you with all the oak and maple you can ever need
no interest?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
What did you do with 50lbs??? If its more then you could use , let me know. Those ussally go for $10+ a lb. . I know a few restaurants that would proabally buy them. Those fruit end of summer fall right? i scored a nice chicken of the woods that was about 5lbs on the way to one of my fishing spots this past fall. It was one of the best tasting mushrooms ive had.
They are ALL gone! We ate them Christmas Eve. We ate them Christmas day. My kids took some home and I gave a lot to my neighbors. I'll ping you next year if you are interested.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by choggieman View Post
no interest?
I sent ya a pm the other day
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
cheferson

Quote:
They are ALL gone! We ate them Christmas Eve. We ate them Christmas day. My kids took some home and I gave a lot to my neighbors. I'll ping you next year if you are interested.
Definetly!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
choggieman

my bad, never even thought to check my pm's. Right back atcha!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
cheferson

Quote:
Those are great for medicinal use too.
The underground tubers from which hen of the woods arises has been used in traditional Chinese and Japanese medicine to enhance the immune system. Researchers have also indicated that whole maitake has the ability to regulate blood pressure, glucose, insulin, and both serum and liver lipids, such as cholesterol, triglycerides, and phospholipids, and may also be useful for weight loss.

Maitake is rich in minerals (such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium), various vitamins (B2, D2 and Niacin), fibers and amino acids. The active constituent in maitake for enhancing the immune activity has been identified in the late 1980s to be the protein-bound polysaccharide compound, beta-glucan, an ingredient found especially in the family of polyporaceae.

Cancer prevention is one of the purported uses of Maitake mushroom extract.[1] [2] Maitake is thought to exert its effects through its ability to activate various effector cells, such as macrophages, natural killer cells, T cells, interleukin-1 and superoxide anions, all of which have anti-cancer activity.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
Those are great for medicinal use too.
The underground tubers from which hen of the woods arises has been used in traditional Chinese and Japanese medicine to enhance the immune system. Researchers have also indicated that whole maitake has the ability to regulate blood pressure, glucose, insulin, and both serum and liver lipids, such as cholesterol, triglycerides, and phospholipids, and may also be useful for weight loss.

Maitake is rich in minerals (such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium), various vitamins (B2, D2 and Niacin), fibers and amino acids. The active constituent in maitake for enhancing the immune activity has been identified in the late 1980s to be the protein-bound polysaccharide compound, beta-glucan, an ingredient found especially in the family of polyporaceae.

Cancer prevention is one of the purported uses of Maitake mushroom extract.[1] [2] Maitake is thought to exert its effects through its ability to activate various effector cells, such as macrophages, natural killer cells, T cells, interleukin-1 and superoxide anions, all of which have anti-cancer activity.

Since I am now in remission, I wonder if the "shrooms" had some effect on my cancer>