Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Comcast VS Verizon

I am looking for some opinions. I have had Comcast for several years, the whole bundle thing and never had a problem. Nice and fast internet and phone and tv have been good too. No complaints. Contract is up and they want me to sign up for another 2 year bundle. Only problem is it is about 38 bucks more expensive this time for a 2 year deal. I have fiber optics on my street and Verizon has been courting me for a year now. Like I said comcast has been great just never had the verizon package and interested in any opinions, especially from those who have had both companies product. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I have the Verizon FiOS and it is outstanding. Picture quality is great, the Internet Speed is fast and I've never had any problems with the phone.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I am looking for some opinions. I have had Comcast for several years, the whole bundle thing and never had a problem. Nice and fast internet and phone and tv have been good too. No complaints. Contract is up and they want me to sign up for another 2 year bundle. Only problem is it is about 38 bucks more expensive this time for a 2 year deal. I have fiber optics on my street and Verizon has been courting me for a year now. Like I said comcast has been great just never had the verizon package and interested in any opinions, especially from those who have had both companies product. Paul

I was going to start the exact same thread! Same question here.

Thanks Paul

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Raven

i don't think you can compare fios
speed for the internet connection
to comcast speed
as i think one is way faster than the other
namely the fios
correct me if i'm wrong

verizon phone service seems kinda pricey...
these days...

the other thing to consider is that the digital revolution is upon us
starting next year and who's gonna be delivering the better digital
service and at what price...

keep that in mind before you sign a 2 year contract
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
InTheHole

We had comcast and switched to verizon fios 6 months ago and have had no problems. The tv picture is much better. We constantly had issues with comcast. Also there are additional discounts if you roll cell service and or long distance into that 1 bill.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I was told for Fios that they have to run new wiring /cable. Is that true?? If so who pays for underground or overhead to the house. Is it part of the hook up. Can you have multiple lines for phone?

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I would think they would run everything for nutin. They had better or I would not even consider the service.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

We have Fios and they use the same cable that's in the house. They run a new one from the street I think on their dime. We like it way better than cable, the internet in faster more reliable and the tv is way clearer.
We saved 40-50 bucks a month doing the package thing also.

Go for it Paul, get the free LCD TV offer too
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
If I could get FIOS I would, everyone who can get it likes.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
I'm thinking of making the switch too. I've had Comcast for several years without any problem, but if I can get a better picture and faster interweb, while saving about 30-40 $ amonth then why not?
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
fishbones

I just got a bill for $168 from Comcast for phone, internet and cable. That's with a $20 discount for bundling and $20 credit for not having phone service for several days. I was amazed at how much I'm paying. I can't get Fios yet, but am thinking of getting the dish through Verizon in a package with internet and phone. At least I can get a good deal for a while and by the time that deal is up, Fios will be available.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I just got a bill for $168 from Comcast for phone, internet and cable. That's with a $20 discount for bundling and $20 credit for not having phone service for several days. I was amazed at how much I'm paying. I can't get Fios yet, but am thinking of getting the dish through Verizon in a package with internet and phone. At least I can get a good deal for a while and by the time that deal is up, Fios will be available.
You and me both, I was told it would be 33 each for phone, cable and internet. My bill is 120+ a month. I mean WTF.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
EarnedStripes44

not to mention the charges for the HD Boxes. What a crock of ****!!!!
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
OffTheHook13
Where Am I?

Go with Verizon
OffTheHook13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
InTheHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
I was told for Fios that they have to run new wiring /cable. Is that true?? If so who pays for underground or overhead to the house. Is it part of the hook up. Can you have multiple lines for phone?
They run the new line for free, my driveway is 250'+ and the utilities are underground. Didn't cost me anything.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
fish4striper

Go with Verizon for their good bundle price. When they're contracts up, check prices again. Once it's wired, easy to switch either way. We're finally at a point where we don't have a monopoly. Screw them damn cable companys.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I'm saving $38 a month with the fios bundle. Not only is is cheaper it's way better. Nothing is perfect and I'm sure I'll have something to bitch about down the road but for right now I'm happy. Plus I'm going to get a free 19' LCD with the deal as well. Not too shabby!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Mr. Sandman

wish I could switch to verison Fios...not available out here, I am stuck with comcast and it is OK but I know what I am missing. I need more bandwidth. I doubt I will see a fiber cable right to my house anytime soon.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
fishaholic18
Finally

What exactly does the bill come out to per month for net, tv and phone? I hate all the hidden costs..And do you have to sign a 2 year contract? What if you don't like it or someone comes out with a better deal?

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18 View Post
What exactly does the bill come out to per month for net, tv and phone? I hate all the hidden costs..And do you have to sign a 2 year contract? What if you don't like it or someone comes out with a better deal?
My Verizon is a 2 year contract, price $94/ mos for TV ,computer, and phone. But they charged $30 for installation and $10 per box/mos. Some additional costs with taxes etc over Cablevision and they charge for phone # information.

They offered $200 gift certificate at Best Buy or 19in Sony as promotion to switch. You may want to be sure you can keep your same Tel #. To me having a phone when the power goes out is the best feature.

Cablevision was $126/mos and Verizon is costing $132 now with all the charges.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Comcast quoted me 120 for the whole deal. I have not check out what Verizon will be . I bet though after the lock in deal is over it will go up like comcast did. I paid 90 for the last 2 years for the whole deal now they want 120.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
gldnbear93

verizon has been advertising $100 for all three services in RI, not sure if they are offering that in MA right now though.

The set up took the guy 6+ hours. He did run a new cable from the pole to the house for the service. no more copper for the phone and if I ever want to go back I will need to have the copper line replaced.
There is a pretty big battery backup (about 1'x2'x2') but supposedly the phone stays running if power goes out.
It seems like the rest of my computer runs alittle slower with the fios installed, but the internest is fast (FBI speed according the sales guy).
TV definately has mreo channels than COX and a lot of really cool miltary channels and hostory channels. I miss IFC but there are some other movie channels included. I don't get the HBO/Showtime/Skinnemax/Sports upgrade since I watch about 3hr of TV a week.
I don't notice any differnece in the phoen service except initially it had a little static, but that is gone now.
All in all I think its a good deal for $100/month. There are some one time activation charges (not the installation), but aI had that with COX also.

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #23
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

My bill is $138 for all 3 services with fios. With comcast I paid $168 just for cable! I have 4 tvs with one being a HD box.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #24
gone fishin

To answer the original question - I have used both and also RCN. I find that Verizon with FIOS is awsome. Cable quality is great, internet is the best and the telephone is just fine. You can have as many lines as you want - just have to pay for them:tm I also have my cell with them and get one bill for all. You can get any feature for the phone that you may want. I have call waiting, caller ID and also a second number under my assigned line for 5 buks a month. It uses a different ring tone.

Also--and I find it very important, their tech service is excellent. It takes a bit of a wait, but they have knowledgable reps. The secret is to ask for an agent after calling their service department.

They do have to run a fiber cable to your house and convert the signal in your house and use existing cable. Installers are thorough and take the time to be sure your entire package is set up properly.. No I do not work for Verizon, just cannot be happier with verizon over Comcast & RCN.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #25
MakoMike

We never had comcast but we switched from Cox to FIOS almost a year ago and we haven't regretted it once.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
Bronko

Does Verizon have an equivalent to the Comcast DVR? I LOVE my DVR, it may be the single greatest T.V invention out there. (for the uninformed it is basically Verizon's version of TIVO).

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
fishaholic18
Finally

Do you need a box for every tv? I now have Cox cable..4 tv's but only 2 boxes, the other 2 tv's get basic only..does it work like that with FIOS?

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18 View Post
Do you need a box for every tv? I now have Cox cable..4 tv's but only 2 boxes, the other 2 tv's get basic only..does it work like that with FIOS?
If you want basic only you have to get the converter box. But the price is almost the same for a regular box so i would suggest getting the regular box.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
gone fishin

You now get the local channels without a box. I have three that way.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #30
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
You now get the local channels without a box. I have three that way.
Thanx. Thats what I wanted to know..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is