Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Classifieds Area - NO COMMERCIAL POSTS WHATSOEVER » Classifieds

Classifieds Buy,Sell, or Swap for members only please. NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING - thanks... And if you sell something like a boat through here - throw us a couple bucks for the site please :D

Old 04-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
nightprowler
Jburt

Job in Woods Hole

Any one looking for work in Woods Hole?
(if this isn't allowed I apologize)
---
http://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/M...BFD&site=Other

The Geology and Geophysics Department is searching for an Information Systems Assistant III/Associate I to join their team. This is a regular full-time position and is eligible for benefits.

Responsible for the operation of a LAN (~30 nodes, mostly PC's and Macs), including servers for a UNIX-based relational database (SYBASE). After some training: programming support of specific staff projects, relating to the field of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. General software and hardware support for the facility staff. Maintenance of the facility website.
Proficiency in higher level programming and scripting. Knowledge of LabVIEW and MATLAB programming would be highly desirable. Basic knowledge in error analysis and statistics a plus.

Maintenance and development of a relational database (MS SQL Server) and its user interface applications. Maintenance of a 30-node LAN. After some training: programming support of specific staff projects, relating to the field of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. General software and hardware support for the facility staff. Maintenance of the facility website.

nightprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Rip Runner

I might know someone, can you tell me a pay range for the position. How much back end database experience is needed. Will they need data warehouse experience, or just stand alone or silo sybase experience?
Rip Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Cool Beans

I'm looking for that type of work, but it'd be a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. I'm stuck near Newport as kids really want to stay same school, my Son's a junior in high school, an I'd hate to make him switch schools.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Any job leads that help any other S-B'ers I'm all for.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Great place to work, I was there today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1088.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	33533  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Yes , what would be the pay range and would you have fishing rights to be excused from work for albies at the dock?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. My friends machine looks out over the hole and he says it is tough some days watching the fish push the bait in. That job will probably be up the street a bit. The accelerator is up on the campus. The machine shop, carpenters shop and welding shop are on the dock and have the great view. Either way a great place to get a job.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
nightprowler
Jburt

The job would be on the Quissett campus, so can't see when the fish push bait into the harbor. You will have the golden ticket of a whoi sticker to park in the lots in the hole though.
As for the job itself, I am not the one doing the hiring so I don't really know to much about the job, pay scale or experience needed. I just know we are looking for someone and thought this may be a good group to alert.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
nightprowler
Jburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
LOL. My friends machine looks out over the hole and he says it is tough some days watching the fish push the bait in. That job will probably be up the street a bit. The accelerator is up on the campus. The machine shop, carpenters shop and welding shop are on the dock and have the great view. Either way a great place to get a job.
Those guys down there have it made! Every time I go to the shop for something I shoot the sh%t about fishing and wish I could be down there for my lunch. There is a herring run close to me though...

Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
nightprowler
Jburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I'm looking for that type of work, but it'd be a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. I'm stuck near Newport as kids really want to stay same school, my Son's a junior in high school, an I'd hate to make him switch schools.
I made the commute from Tiverton for 18 months and my wife is going the opposite way now to 'gansett. Its an easy drive you just have to not mind being in the car for that long.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler View Post
Those guys down there have it made! Every time I go to the shop for something I shoot the sh%t about fishing and wish I could be down there for my lunch. There is a herring run close to me though...
. They do have it made and it's just not fair.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
gf2020

Sounds like nice junior level position. 1 person supporting 30 PCs? That's a cake job!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
this will be my fourth summer with the MBL doing scuba diving with them. its awesomeee having a parking sticker down there and fishing during lunch

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
. They do have it made and it's just not fair.
It's just not fair, Prof, but somebody has to do it. It might as well be you. That second shift is hard to take, just when the tides are right, your'e on your way home, sad sad
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
this will be my fourth summer with the MBL doing scuba diving with them. its awesomeee having a parking sticker down there and fishing during lunch
Maybe they will finally finish the bridge, I saw it up in the air on Sat.

Bill I got the next best thing, 4 really good friends that work on the pier. I already do most of my work for them. Would be nice but would be a pretty long commute for me. I have to stick to Pocasset for now, could be worse. Hell I get to leave my boat on Cape and can hit all the good tides in the mornings and late nites, and fish most weekdays. I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
nightprowler
Jburt

Its supposed to be done mid-may, they are supposedly just working on the automation. I believe May 17 is the target date.

Quote:
Maybe they will finally finish the bridge, I saw it up in the air on Sat.

Bill I got the next best thing, 4 really good friends that work on the pier. I already do most of my work for them. Would be nice but would be a pretty long commute for me. I have to stick to Pocasset for now, could be worse. Hell I get to leave my boat on Cape and can hit all the good tides in the mornings and late nites, and fish most weekdays. I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.
That is true.