Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #61
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Spence -

7 for all Mankind, Mavi, Deisel, Lucky, or Paper Denim jeans?

The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #62
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Oh and BTW Spence, what is your take on the new spring fashion RL knit Polo shirt with the larger multicolored big Polo Player

and large #on the sleeve for a sporty take on a preppy standard.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #63
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Spence, do you have a good recipie for the white sauce in chicken fricasee(sp?)

My mother-in-law used to make it with condensed milk as one of the ingredients.
Haven't made a fricassee in a while. It's such a fun dish as you can make it into just about anything given what's in the pantry.

Using condensed milk sounds like a 1950's era shortcut, but it still may taste good. I'd stick with something made from wine, broth, cream and perhaps thickened with a little flour.

I searched around a bit and this recipe looked pretty inviting.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/237587

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #64
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 View Post
Spence -

7 for all Mankind, Mavi, Deisel, Lucky, or Paper Denim jeans?

I'm wearing Lucky's right now, but may be a bit old (god, am I really saying that?) to get into the premium denim thing.

All my jeans are either Lucky Brand or Joseph Abboud.

-spence
Old 03-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #65
spence

Quote:
Oh and BTW Spence, what is your take on the new spring fashion RL knit Polo shirt with the larger multicolored big Polo Player

and large #on the sleeve for a sporty take on a preppy standard.
The big Polo player idea was a silly marketing hack that I can't endorse as it's absurd. I try to avoid most all logos to be honest, if Ralph wants me to be a billboard he'll need to send me a 10-99. It is tax time after all.

I do really like Ralph Lauren clothing though, as the style and cut work very well for me. I love the Purple Label line, although as it's incredibly expensive I can only manage to afford deals at a deep discount.

-spence
Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #66
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

If I only own and wear jeans and a t shirt and only own one suit, funerals and weddings, does that make me a slave to fashion or a trend setter?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #67
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
If I only own and wear jeans and a t shirt and only own one suit, funerals and weddings, does that make me a slave to fashion or a trend setter?
No it makes you practical. If you're comfortable day to day and can dress appropriate when the need strikes, you're doing better than most.

-spence
Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #68
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Practical, yup that is I.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #69
spence

As an aside, this wet afternoon was the perfect opportunity to polish the shoes I've been wearing the last few weeks.

-spence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	26281  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #70
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thanks for the recepie, Spence. Yup, she did make it in the 50's and it was good.

Cordavans and wooden shoe trees.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #71
spence

Quote:
Cordavans and wooden shoe trees.
Most of the shoes in that pic are full grain calf, but there is one pair of real shell cordovan (vegetable tanned horse hide)...and they are sweet

-spence
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #72
Goose

Deer spence, who's the woman who invented Jack & Jill showers???
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #73
thortum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
As an aside, this wet afternoon was the perfect opportunity to polish the shoes I've been wearing the last few weeks.

-spence
I didn't see your "wading shoes"?!
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #74
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Deer spence, who's the woman who invented Jack & Jill showers???
They used to be for weddings, which was fine by me. I don't really give a whip what it's called as long as the gifts are actually practical and there is plenty of liquor flowing.

But a baby shower is a different beast. There's no booze, even if it's a boy everything is decorated in pink, and when women are around a pregnant sister they all seem to think they're part of the plot.

I can't say who invented it for sure, but she certainly had to be a selfish and greedy beotch

-spence
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #75
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Practical, yup that is I.
Me too; although I DO have TWO sport coats now, in addition to a wedding/funeral suit! so I'm now a semi-slave to fashion....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #76
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Me too; although I DO have TWO sport coats now, in addition to a wedding/funeral suit! so I'm now a semi-slave to fashion....
It's not about being a slave, it about empowerment. In the real world people can size you up by your appearance in about 1/2 a second.

A nice sportcoat is like a suit of armor, and also gives you a place to stash your cell phone and fountain pen.

-spence
Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #77
striperman36
Old Guy

I am looking new waders to make me look slimmer while fishiing. which type do you think I should check out?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #78
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I am looking new waders to make me look slimmer while fishiing. which type do you think I should check out?
Most waders do seem to assume you're a "portly angler", but the Simms G3, while terribly expensive, do have a nice trim cut.

Fortunately, that much needed accessory, the wading belt helps to bring everything in around the middle just like it would for a traditional top coat.

-spence
Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #79
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Spence, while i think of it, are white socks worn with cordavans and a brown suit still frowned upon.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #80
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Thumbs up

Check out the 7's or Mavi's Spence.....
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #81
spence

Quote:
Spence, while i think of it, are white socks worn with cordavans and a brown suit still frowned upon.
White socks should never be worn outside of the gym. As there are many working stiffs on the site, I'll give one allowance for white socks with work boots...but a nice grey heather would look better

-spence
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #82
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

LOL.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #83
Ribeye

I need to have a suit altered for an upcoming wedding.Any good tailors in the Fall River,New Bedford area?Thanks.

The tide waits for no one.Neither do I.
Ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #84
scone

dear spence,
my wife came home the other day to find me watching conspiracy theory on WET (women's empowerment television) (lifetime). i told her i was watching because mel gibson was in the movie, even though it was for julia roberts, and she seemed to be ok with that. later though a few of the guys came by and she took great pride in telling them that i watched lifetime with her. i took a serious ribbing over this.
is it ever ok for a real, construction working, meat eating, night fishing man to watch movies on this network?
thanks,
confusedinct
scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #85
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
I need to have a suit altered for an upcoming wedding.Any good tailors in the Fall River,New Bedford area?Thanks.
Yes, I've never had him do anything terribly complicated but for basic alterations he does a good job. Just be specific if you're particular about anything.

Carlozzi Tailor Shop
(508) 675-5480
27 Bodge St, Fall River, MA

-spence
Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #86
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
dear spence,
my wife came home the other day to find me watching conspiracy theory on WET (women's empowerment television) (lifetime). i told her i was watching because mel gibson was in the movie, even though it was for julia roberts, and she seemed to be ok with that. later though a few of the guys came by and she took great pride in telling them that i watched lifetime with her. i took a serious ribbing over this.
is it ever ok for a real, construction working, meat eating, night fishing man to watch movies on this network?
thanks,
confusedinct
If you're comfortable in your own skin, there's nothing wrong with a drippy, sappy, cheesy Lifetime movie with the wife. A) it may turn her on a bit and lead to some action and B) you're putting cookies in the jar for the upcoming season.

That being said, Mel Gibson is a freak and while an attractive woman Julia Roberts just ain't that hot.

I do wonder if you were really watching for Mel after all

-spence
Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #87
scone

thanks spence (i think)
watching these sappy, drippy WET network movies never leads to any increase in action. usually she, and her louisville slugger, take over my side of the bed. she says she will save me from any evil doers that might attack.
this empowerment thing is dangerous. she damned near took out my knee the other night when i came back from takin a leak.

watchin for mel? now that's just
scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #88
Ribeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, I've never had him do anything terribly complicated but for basic alterations he does a good job. Just be specific if you're particular about anything.

Carlozzi Tailor Shop
(508) 675-5480
27 Bodge St, Fall River, MA

-spence
Thanks for the recommendation.I'll give them a shot.

The tide waits for no one.Neither do I.
Ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #89
fishbones

Shoes

Spence, you seem to know more about fashion than most women I know. I work in a business casual environment and am looking to replace a pair of black and a pair of brown Rockports. I am looking for a moc toe that is very comfortable and wears well, while still being stylish. They needn't be very dressy, as I have shoes to wear with my suits. It's been a while since I bought new work shoes and I don't want to waste time shopping and trying several pairs on. Also, I am very happy with 2 pairs of the same exact style and am looking to spend $150 per pair or less. I am looking forward to your recomendations. Thanks in advance.

P.S. You should advise your readers to get the nookie before watching the girly movies so that they can fall asleep once it starts.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #90
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, you seem to know more about fashion than most women I know. I work in a business casual environment and am looking to replace a pair of black and a pair of brown Rockports. I am looking for a moc toe that is very comfortable and wears well, while still being stylish. They needn't be very dressy, as I have shoes to wear with my suits. It's been a while since I bought new work shoes and I don't want to waste time shopping and trying several pairs on. Also, I am very happy with 2 pairs of the same exact style and am looking to spend $150 per pair or less. I am looking forward to your recomendations. Thanks in advance.

P.S. You should advise your readers to get the nookie before watching the girly movies so that they can fall asleep once it starts.
I'll take that as a compliment considering women make up more than half the population. By your reasoning I must be pretty smart

Considering that a lot of the time spent buying shoes is finding the proper fit, if the Rockports fit well and you like the style/value I'd go there as a first option if your primary requirement is as little shopping as possible.

Ecco makes a very comfortable and durable shoe at the upper end of your price range and I've always liked their style. But they do have that Euro comfort shoe look...

There are really a lot of options in the moc toe style, I won't bother posting suggestions as our preferences might not be the same.

Online you can't beat the shops with free shipping both ways (like Zappos) although they don't offer the best prices. Sierratradingpost.com has incredible deals (search for a coupon) but the selection is hit or miss.

Locally I'd say DSW offers the best selection/price in casual shoes and usually have a good offering of both brands mentioned above.

-spence