Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Slick Moedee

Coast Guard suspends search for missing kayaker

The Coast Guard suspended its search Sunday night for the Lynn kayaker who went missing Saturday evening in Swampscott.

“The entire Unified Command is deeply sympathetic to the family and friends of Mr. Lisovich,” said Commander Sean Carroll, Sector Boston Chief of Response, in a statement sent out by the Coast Guard. “We are sympathetic to his loved ones.”

Maryan Lisovich, 23, left Fisherman’s Beach to go fishing at about 4 p.m. Saturday. His girlfriend reported him missing at about 7 p.m. He was not wearing a lifejacket, according to the Coast Guard.

Lisovich’s kayak was found on land close to Fisherman’s Beach at about 8:40 p.m., according to Coast Guard spokesman Adam Stanton.

Rescue crews searched a 422-square-nautical-mile area for more than 24 hours, according to the Coast Guard’s statement, but suspended the search at 7:40 p.m. Sunday.

The Coast Guard sent a Station Point Allerton 47-foot Motor Life Boat and an Air Station Cape Cod MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to search for Lisovich.

Swampscott Police, state police, state environmental police, the Massachusetts Marine Unit, and the Marblehead Harbormaster assisted the Coast Guard with the search.

A spokesman for the Swampscott Police said that the search may resume on Monday.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
sokinwet

A terrible thing; such a young guy having his life cut short. I hope all my kayaking friends can learn a lesson from this tragedy. I took a look Sat. at the North channel before running to the N.Shore and decided I'd fish locally...and I was in a 20" Seacraft....my bro went North later in the day in his 23'SC and said it was 4 ft. at the mouth on his way back. I know yakers feel that you're in a seaworthy craft but every boat has its limitations. I stopped and waited a couple of weeks ago while a woman struggled to get back in her yak in Hull Gut while plenty of idiots ran right by wide open. There are just some times and places where you guys just don't belong. I know it's fun but be careful....a fish isn't worth your life. PS My bro took a doz. very large...I'm glad I stayed inside.
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not wearing a PFD wasn't to intelligent either.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
FishermanTim

2X

No PFD was the first, most important mistake.
Add to that the rough seas he had launched frin/into, and that just compunds that mistake into the life-threatening level!

Hopefully someone that thinks they're invincible will read this news story and realize that nature doesn't know and doesn't care what you "think".

Better safe than sorry, although an old saying is true no matter who says it!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
hq2

Alone in 4 ft seas in a 'yak with no pfd on? Wow! Don't know
what he was thinking out there; maybe he was at a local bar
beforehand? Hey, when you're in your early 20s and you're in
good shape, you think you're invincible. Looks like he wasn't.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Sad story.
Like others I'm wondering, what the hell was he thinking ???

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote