Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Health Care

Obamacare was not only a fiscal disaster (premiums skyrocketed for huge numbers of Americans) but a totalitarian nightmare. Forcing Catholic nuns to pay for other people's abortions is not altruistic; it is evil, and twisted, unconstitutional, and degrading. It was forced on us under the veneer of generosity. So I certainly think Obamacare as such ought to be dismantled.

Poor people in this country have long benefited from taxpayer-funded health care (Medicaid, et alia) and charitable funding for health care (such as at Catholic hospitals). So the idea that we were all stepping over the corpses of the poor on our way into our "rich people" hospitals to get surgery to improve our golf swings was a ridiculous canard.

But there is a very genuine problem with people who face the possibility of losing their life's savings or their homes when they face catastrophic illness, and that should never happen in a civilized society.

Likewise, insurance companies ought not be able to drop clients who turn out to be "bad bets." Insurance is gambling, and the dealer doesn't get to say, "Yes, you got Blackjack, but I don't want to pay you your winnings."

And it is clearly the purview of the government to provide for poor people with pre-existing conditions, at least when those pre-existing conditions are not their fault. How you go about this without the totalitarian individual mandate (if that bothers you, it doesn't bother me) is by having the government provide insurance for people in this category.

By all means, gut Obamacare like a brook trout. But replace it with something which fulfills the obligation we all have to take care of those who would be helpless without it, while respecting everyone's religious freedom.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I hate health insurance and trying to get a straight answer or even getting someone on the phone who knows that answer, is impossible at times. I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with Fallon Health Care over billing I thought for sure should have been covered and after all that time all I could gain for it was to file an appeal.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Obamacare was not only a fiscal disaster (premiums skyrocketed for huge numbers of Americans) but a totalitarian nightmare. Forcing Catholic nuns to pay for other people's abortions is not altruistic; it is evil, and twisted, unconstitutional, and degrading. It was forced on us under the veneer of generosity. So I certainly think Obamacare as such ought to be dismantled.

Poor people in this country have long benefited from taxpayer-funded health care (Medicaid, et alia) and charitable funding for health care (such as at Catholic hospitals). So the idea that we were all stepping over the corpses of the poor on our way into our "rich people" hospitals to get surgery to improve our golf swings was a ridiculous canard.

But there is a very genuine problem with people who face the possibility of losing their life's savings or their homes when they face catastrophic illness, and that should never happen in a civilized society.

Likewise, insurance companies ought not be able to drop clients who turn out to be "bad bets." Insurance is gambling, and the dealer doesn't get to say, "Yes, you got Blackjack, but I don't want to pay you your winnings."

And it is clearly the purview of the government to provide for poor people with pre-existing conditions, at least when those pre-existing conditions are not their fault. How you go about this without the totalitarian individual mandate (if that bothers you, it doesn't bother me) is by having the government provide insurance for people in this category.

By all means, gut Obamacare like a brook trout. But replace it with something which fulfills the obligation we all have to take care of those who would be helpless without it, while respecting everyone's religious freedom.

They had 8 years to fix and improve the ACA the republicans decided to not to fix it .... They tried to repeal law 52 times
now they are going to screw those who need it

They say we got rid of the mandate but really we just gave that money in the form of a 30% increase to our supporters the insurance companys .. if you lapse on your insurance (no details on Lapse)

Tax credits are a joke ... and lets push it thru before we see the cost even the ACA took more than a year it shocking that they even can say they are providing mercy for the american people
Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
They had 8 years to fix and improve the ACA the republicans decided to not to fix it .... They tried to repeal law 52 times
now they are going to screw those who need it

They say we got rid of the mandate but really we just gave that money in the form of a 30% increase to our supporters the insurance companys .. if you lapse on your insurance (no details on Lapse)

Tax credits are a joke ... and lets push it thru before we see the cost even the ACA took more than a year it shocking that they even can say they are providing mercy for the american people
"They had 8 years to fix and improve the ACA the republicans decided to not to fix it .... They tried to repeal law 52 times "

They deserve criticism for that But if they tried to change it, Obama would have vetoed it. Did you forget he was POTUS for those 8 years?

"now they are going to screw those who need it "

A wee bit speculative. But yo keep making the claim that conservatives are heartless, despite the fact that we are more charitable, as a group, than liberals.

"Tax credits are a joke "

So you don't take the deductions and credits that are available to you, then?

"and lets push it thru before we see the cost"

Who is suggesting we do that?

Do you just make it up as you go along, now?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"They had 8 years to fix and improve the ACA the republicans decided to not to fix it .... They tried to repeal law 52 times "

They deserve criticism for that But if they tried to change it, Obama would have vetoed it. Did you forget he was POTUS for those 8 years?

fix it then let him Veto or not veto in tennis some one need to serve the Ball and here its congress who serves 1st and they never stepped on the Court ... also if I had 8 years to plan my repeal and replacement.. it would have been ready on day 1 it seems they are not ready

"now they are going to screw those who need it "

A wee bit speculative. But yo keep making the claim that conservatives are heartless, despite the fact that we are more charitable, as a group, than liberals.

Believe your eyes because your heart is lying to you

"Tax credits are a joke "

So you don't take the deductions and credits that are available to you, then?

its smoke and mirrors it puts no money in your pocket to pay your monthly health care bills..

"and lets push it thru before we see the cost"

Who is suggesting we do that?

Ryan ' you been paying attention

Do you just make it up as you go along, now?
its called looking at sources or information from those with no horse in the Race... I dont need ACA but if those who use it think 500.00 bucks is expensive they never had health insurance .. but its crippling for anyone making 50k a year unless they walk to work pay no rent and have rabbit ears on their TV and have no kids

The numbers below should be a shock to everyone .. even i was surprised

You can find the report that the Social Security Administration just released right here. The following are some of the numbers that really stood out for me…

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/...rs-a-year.html

-38 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000 last year.

-51 percent of all American workers made less than $30,000 last year.

-62 percent of all American workers made less than $40,000 last year.

-71 percent of all American workers made less than $50,000 last year.