Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
scottw

just when you think you've got it all figured out

As ThinkProgress notes, Gonzalez's admission makes her perhaps the only openly pansexual elected U.S. official.

Mary Gonzalez, Texas State Representative, Identifies As Pansexual In New Interview
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Bleccchh.

She doesn't believe in the concept of "gender binary"?

Binary means '2 choices'. How many genders, exactly, does she think exist? I guess I've been misinformed, because I was under the impression that there are, in fact, 2 genders.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
scottw

a. she's cute
b. i'm just dyin' to know what comes next after "pan"
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm still trying to Figure out how a Gay Mexican Democrat got elected to office in Texas...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I'm still trying to Figure out how a Gay Mexican Democrat got elected to office in Texas...

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Great question! She should stop wasting her time as a state rep. With those credentials, she could move to CT, lie about having served in a war, and get elected to the US Senate!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Seems like 'pansexual' is just another way of saying "I'm greedy and will bang anything that moves."
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Nebe

""The people of El Paso will be represented by a talented and committed fighter who knows how to get things done in Austin."

oh shes gettin things done allright...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
scottw

it's tough to keep up with this stuff

NY Times on “Gender-Creative” Children

By Nancy French

August 14, 2012

One afternoon in Ithaca, N.Y., my kids were playing on the swing sets in the park when a little tike wearing a football jersey ran into my daughter’s path. I lunged for the swing — I jerked the chain so abruptly that I feared whiplash — and shared a “wow, that was close” exchange with the kid’s mom.

“How old is he?” I asked. The lady looked at me as she placed her kid on the swing and said with no trace of irony, “His name is Jill, and she’s three.”

As I tried to match the pronouns and antecedents, she explained that she belonged to a group of parents who rebelled against gender stereotypes, allowing their children to decide their genders after they’d been exposed to both options. I’d learned of this in a philosophy class at NYU. My professor argued that children are born with “sex” but taught “gender.” The claim is that children unwittingly learn certain gender signifiers that dictate their behavior. Little boys don’t naturally want to play with trucks, and little girls aren’t naturally drawn to dolls, if unsullied by eager parents who try to indoctrinate their children with heterosexist ideas about “gender.” According to my professor, gender roles cause people to live according to the very limited ideas of others. The ultimate goal, of course, is androgyny, where no differences between males and females exist.

“I’m going to raise her as gender-neutrally as possible and let him decide which gender she prefers at the age of eight.” (Oh, eight; that’s the age at which my son dug up our Tennessee yard one square foot at a time, because he was convinced pirates had buried treasure there.)

Whenever I write about Ithaca (as I did in one of my memoirs), I invariably get e-mails asking, “Really?”

Understandably, people can’t quite believe that there are parents like this in America. However, a recent New York Times article called, “What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/ma...2&pagewanted=1
attempts to further push the normalization of gender-confused children into the mainstream. It includes a very similar playground anecdote:

One day this spring I went to a playground with an 8-year-old boy named P. J. A pink ribbon with sparkly butterflies held back his thick black curls, which he occasionally flipped dramatically. He was wearing a serpent-and-skeleton bike helmet, a navy Pokémon T-shirt, black-and-pink stretch pants, a fuchsia sweatshirt and an iridescent heart necklace. As he and a friend raced happily around the park in a loud game of tag, they accumulated new pals.

After playing for half an hour, a few kids huddled to catch their breath and finally introduce themselves. One 10-year-old girl’s eyes opened wide. She turned to me, the closest adult. “Do you know she’s a he?” Yes, I nodded. Certain that I’d misunderstood, she pointed at P. J., who was right next to her. “No!” she said. “She is a he!”

The article, by Ruth Padawer, a professor at the Columbia University School of Journalism, examines how various parents deal with children when they don’t seem to fit into traditional gender roles. Padawer — and psychologists — describe this “condition” in the following flowery terms: gender-atypical, gender-fluid, gender-variant, gender-creative.

Parents Susan and Rob have one of these “gender creative” youngsters. Consequently, they sent an e-mail to the parents of their son’s classmates explaining their child will sometimes be wearing a dress to preschool. They explained that their son “has been gender-fluid for as long as we can remember, and at the moment he is equally passionate about and identified with soccer players and princesses, superheroes and ballerinas (not to mention lava and unicorns, dinosaurs and glitter rainbows). . . . The important thing was to teach him not to be ashamed of who he feels he is.” When Susan let her son wear dresses around town, however, her son was upset when strangers assumed he was a girl. He said, “I just hate being misunderstood.”

Last edited by scottw; 08-15-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If you want ot have a good laugh...think about what the look on your fathers face would be if you tried to do something like that.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Jim in CT

That's one of the principles of liberalism...if it feels good, do it. And every human impulse is to be encouraged and celebrated.

ScottW, we lose to these people.

Sad.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
FishermanTim

So....if you created a new term for an already existing one, you can get a headline spot in the news????

Maybe I'm try-sexual (I try to have sex as much as possible).
Now I can get a job in politics, geta front page story in the Globe and probably get my own tv show!

Yeah, let's let the kids decide well before they have developed their true sexuality, and they pay the price when they realize they chose the wrong one for 8 years.
Sounds like some parents are going to have to sue somebody to pay for their own mistakes. (isn't that how it's supposed to be done?)

It's stories like this that make me glad that some "intellectuals" don't reproduce!