Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
Jimbo

Caning Chair Seats

Does anyone know if caning chair seats is difficult to teach one's self to do? We have 10 that were inherited, very nice, sturdy (Pennsylvania Dutch/Shaker design) chairs that I've now put my butt through 3 of. It gets pricey to have them done and it doesn't look that difficult for the most part, but the do it yourself videos and how-to's don't go into every detail, mostly like finishing it off in the end which looks complicated. Doesn't seem to be any mentors in the NJ area to teach someone to do it, just a couple guys that will take your $200+ and call you when it's done.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Rmarsh

Woodcraft supply has books tools and materials
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Guppy
User

My father was a good one for " if someone else can do it" so can I...
And he did even into his 90s, caning chairs was one of his winter time projects,,, you can do it,,, if u screw it up, undo it and start over,,,, LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Jimbo

OK, well, thanks, I guess two replies was all I needed. I'll be near a Woodcrafters this weekend, I have space in my basement and I could use a winter project, and, my grandfather as well, late in his 80's also did this (he probably offered to teach me, but a late teens/early 20's stubborn know it all a$$hole me would never have gone for it. Truly my loss!).
Thanks you two.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote