Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
basswipe

Any Refrig. guys here?

Got a fridge/freezer in the basement that I started using again.Problem is the fridge even on its lowest setting will freeze everyting in it and the unit as a whole runs constantly unless turned off.

The unit is a Gibson Frost Clear with Energy Saver.The unit is about 20yrs old.

I'm hoping its something easily repairable and not to expensive if it is repairable.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Adam_777

Have you opened it and tried cleaning the inside of it ? Poking around inside may help lead you/us to finding why it's constantly running.Clean all the dust bunny's out and give it a good once over.Check all the obvious wires and connections.If you notice icing starting from a certain area like a valve or evaporater take a picture if you have a camera and post it.Make sure the fans are working and nothing is plugged with dust.I am licensed but don't work on appliances.I work on truck and trailer refrigeration units.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Have you opened it and tried cleaning the inside of it ? Poking around inside may help lead you/us to finding why it's constantly running.Clean all the dust bunny's out and give it a good once over.Check all the obvious wires and connections.If you notice icing starting from a certain area like a valve or evaporater take a picture if you have a camera and post it.Make sure the fans are working and nothing is plugged with dust.I am licensed but don't work on appliances.I work on truck and trailer refrigeration units.
This thing got a COMPLETE dousching.Nothing is dirty,all fans are fully clean and functional.All wires and connections look good.

The back is hot.The tank(?) at the bottom is very hot.I assuming that's because its constantly running?

I was kinda hoping it might be something simple like a thermostat on a car.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
leo33

sound like a temp control problem.look at the evaporator on the inside and see if there is a bulb next to it. if it is not touching the evap. it may not get the proper reading and keep the temp control closed and allow it to run constantly.
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote