Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Rockhound, you out there?

Here's a photo from last nights Emmys. Check out all the masks and social distancing!

A serious question. If this is permissable, why are my three kids forced to wear masks in school all day, when we know schools (especially for little kids) have not been hotbeds of transmission. In a practical sense, little kids are immune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emmys.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	68352  
Old 09-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
PaulS

Updated Aug 20, 2021, 04:57pm EDT
TOPLINE Attendees of this year’s edition of the Emmy Awards will need to show proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test in addition to proof of vaccination to enter the ceremonies next month, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences announced Thursday, amid rising coronavirus numbers in California and concerns over breakthrough cases due to the delta variant.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Updated Aug 20, 2021, 04:57pm EDT
TOPLINE Attendees of this year’s edition of the Emmy Awards will need to show proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test in addition to proof of vaccination to enter the ceremonies next month, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences announced Thursday, amid rising coronavirus numbers in California and concerns over breakthrough cases due to the delta variant.
ok. so if my teenager who is vaccinated gets a negative test, why does he have to wear a mask all day long, if the hollywood swells don’t?

it appears as though there’s a true caste system regarding the response here.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
ok. so if my teenager who is vaccinated gets a negative test, why does he have to wear a mask all day long, if the hollywood swells don’t?

it appears as though there’s a true caste system regarding the response here. I just posted the press release. So need to try to insult someone you angry man
NM
Old 09-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
NM
Paul, I'm not angry, I'm curious and therefore asked a question. And I specifically asked someone other than you, someone who knows more about this than we do, and forgive me for saying, but someone who in my opinion, puts truth ahead of politics WAY more regularly than the rest of you. I addressed it to Bryan, you chose to engage me here, so grow a pair and answer the obvious question.

If my 15 year-old son (who is way lower risk than these adults at the Emmys) does what they did (vaccine and negative test), why can't he make the choices they do, and not wear a mask? Is that not an obvious, fair question to ask? Does the virus differentiate between those who have Screen Actors Guild cards, and those who don't?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Don't know what Bryan's medical specialty is but Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Mayo Clinic Children's Center, answers these questions and offers insights into the benefits of everyone over age 2 wearing masks when in public settings or around unvaccinated people.

Are there negative effects of a child wearing a face mask?

Because of the concerns that have been raised about whether there are any negative effects of masking on children, there have been now numerous studies done. These studies have unequivocally shown that there are no negative health effects on children from wearing a mask.

What are the benefits of a child wearing a mask?

We know that masks significantly protect both the person who's wearing them and the people around them. The other benefit of masks is that they can help protect against other viruses. We are seeing an increase in other respiratory viruses that we don't usually see circulating this time of year, specifically two viruses, respiratory syncytial virus or RSV, and parainfluenza virus, which is a virus that causes croup. We will also be getting into influenza season this fall. Masks are effective in preventing the spread of these viruses as well.

Wearing a mask will help decrease the number of symptomatic respiratory illnesses that kids have, as well. Hopefully, this will help keep more kids in school and avoid having to quarantine if there are positive cases, and reduce the number of days that parents need to take their kid in for testing if they were to get sick — because these other respiratory viruses are also circulating now.

At what age should children begin masking?

Masking is recommended for anyone over 2. The other important part, especially in the pediatric age group, is the person wearing the mask should be able to remove it themselves if they need to. If your child has a neurodevelopmental disability, for example, or motor issues, where they wouldn't be able to remove the mask if needed, we do not recommend they wear a mask.

What type of mask should children wear?

A multilayer cloth mask or a child-sized medical mask are both good options. The important thing when it comes to kids is making sure that they're wearing it and making sure that they're wearing it properly. That means it should cover both their nose and their mouth completely. It should be comfortable for them to wear, and it should fit securely on their face without any large gaping areas or gaps.

It's important, especially since kids have probably grown over the last 18 months, to make sure that you increase their mask size as they grow. And before going back to school, try them on to make sure they all fit properly. Make sure that they're labeled with your child's name, so they don't get shared around with other children, and make sure that they're kept clean and in good condition. A new clean mask should be used each day, and your child should always have a backup mask easily available at school in case the mask they are wearing becomes wet, dirty or damaged.

Can kids really get sick from COVID-19?

We do know that over 500 kids have died of COVID-19 in our country. We do know that there can be long-lasting effects from this infection that we're still trying to understand. We still don't know the impacts on developing organs, bodies, organ systems in kids or whether there might be other long-term impacts that have not come to light as well yet. When you look at all those things, it becomes important to do whatever we can to try and prevent kids from getting this infection.

We also know that there's a rare complication called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children that can be life-threatening as well. The only way to prevent that is to prevent kids from getting COVID-19. And that's another reason why vaccination is an important part of preventive strategies for this age group.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Don't know what Bryan's medical specialty is but Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Mayo Clinic Children's Center, answers these questions and offers insights into the benefits of everyone over age 2 wearing masks when in public .
dr rajapakse has obviously never had a 2 or 3 year old
Old 09-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Don't know what Bryan's medical specialty is but Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Mayo Clinic Children's Center, answers these questions and offers insights into the benefits of everyone over age 2 wearing masks when in public settings or around unvaccinated people.

Are there negative effects of a child wearing a face mask?

Because of the concerns that have been raised about whether there are any negative effects of masking on children, there have been now numerous studies done. These studies have unequivocally shown that there are no negative health effects on children from wearing a mask.

What are the benefits of a child wearing a mask?

We know that masks significantly protect both the person who's wearing them and the people around them. The other benefit of masks is that they can help protect against other viruses. We are seeing an increase in other respiratory viruses that we don't usually see circulating this time of year, specifically two viruses, respiratory syncytial virus or RSV, and parainfluenza virus, which is a virus that causes croup. We will also be getting into influenza season this fall. Masks are effective in preventing the spread of these viruses as well.

Wearing a mask will help decrease the number of symptomatic respiratory illnesses that kids have, as well. Hopefully, this will help keep more kids in school and avoid having to quarantine if there are positive cases, and reduce the number of days that parents need to take their kid in for testing if they were to get sick — because these other respiratory viruses are also circulating now.

At what age should children begin masking?

Masking is recommended for anyone over 2. The other important part, especially in the pediatric age group, is the person wearing the mask should be able to remove it themselves if they need to. If your child has a neurodevelopmental disability, for example, or motor issues, where they wouldn't be able to remove the mask if needed, we do not recommend they wear a mask.

What type of mask should children wear?

A multilayer cloth mask or a child-sized medical mask are both good options. The important thing when it comes to kids is making sure that they're wearing it and making sure that they're wearing it properly. That means it should cover both their nose and their mouth completely. It should be comfortable for them to wear, and it should fit securely on their face without any large gaping areas or gaps.

It's important, especially since kids have probably grown over the last 18 months, to make sure that you increase their mask size as they grow. And before going back to school, try them on to make sure they all fit properly. Make sure that they're labeled with your child's name, so they don't get shared around with other children, and make sure that they're kept clean and in good condition. A new clean mask should be used each day, and your child should always have a backup mask easily available at school in case the mask they are wearing becomes wet, dirty or damaged.

Can kids really get sick from COVID-19?

We do know that over 500 kids have died of COVID-19 in our country. We do know that there can be long-lasting effects from this infection that we're still trying to understand. We still don't know the impacts on developing organs, bodies, organ systems in kids or whether there might be other long-term impacts that have not come to light as well yet. When you look at all those things, it becomes important to do whatever we can to try and prevent kids from getting this infection.

We also know that there's a rare complication called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children that can be life-threatening as well. The only way to prevent that is to prevent kids from getting COVID-19. And that's another reason why vaccination is an important part of preventive strategies for this age group.
So your opinion of what happened last night at the Emmys, with all those well-connected democrats, is.......

I can also show you video footage of Fauci saying that wearing masks to prevent getting a virus, is "paranoid", he literally laughed at the suggestion in 2019.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So your opinion of what happened last night at the Emmys, with all those well-connected democrats, is.......

All vacc'd or with current tests, they chose to take the risk. Kids in school don't have that choice, nor staff or their families.

I can also show you video footage of Fauci saying that wearing masks to prevent getting a virus, is "paranoid", he literally laughed at the suggestion in 2019.

Two years ago, at the start of Covid?

Who cares about either of those and what do either have to do with the health of children given what is known and still unknown today?

Herschel Walker played Russian roulette and is still here, would you suggest anyone try that also?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Who cares about either of those and what do either have to do with the health of children given what is known and still unknown today?

Herschel Walker played Russian roulette and is still here, would you suggest anyone try that also?
Why do the actors get to make a choice that isn't available to my kids?

Interesting, that the HELP at the emmys, had to wear masks. But not the swells.

You posted a doctor who advocates for kids wearing masks. Fo revery single study showing kids benefit from wearing masks, I can post a study saying the masks don't help little kids. There's no consensus.

Yet actors who write huge checks to democrats can forgo masks, and all you can say is that it's their choice to not wear one. That requires you to ignore the risk they pose to everyone else.

You're OK with famous democrats being able to make a choice. BUt not anyone else. Because as always with you guys, politics trumps truth. Always. Always.

Except with Bry. Which is why I asked him, not you guys. I already knew for 100% certainty what you'd say.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Nothing says childish like the current vaccine debate. I think that it’s instructive to look at how the country reacted to the COVID vaccine compared to the polio vaccine. First, some facts. The first polio vaccine was released in 1955. According to the CDC, in the prior year, there were 38,475 cases of polio and 1,368 deaths. Contrast that with the year prior to the COVID vaccine being released (I chose March 1, 2020 to March 1, 2021 as the time period just to get an equivalent number of months). In that year span, there were 28,000,000+ cases and 515,124 deaths.

And how did the country react to these two scenarios? I am old enough to remember being given the Sabin polio vaccine shortly after it came out (I’m pretty sure that they gave it out in school). And I don’t remember any arguments against taking it. In fact, I only remember people being happy that such a miracle drug was available (I think that pictures of people in iron lungs will do that for you.). No one accused the medical authorities of crimes against humanity. No one claimed to have been magnetized by the vaccine. No one accused J. Paul Getty (the richest man in America in 1955) of trying to profit from the vaccine.

In other words, as a country, we acted like adults.

And what about 2021? Here we were faced with a disease that caused 376 times more deaths than polio (and was more transmissible to boot). And a vaccine with a 90%+ effectiveness was being given to us free of charge. Yet armed with that knowledge many of us decided to do our own “research” and then decided that we weren’t going to take the vaccine because we believed it was somehow designed with evil intent or (at best) was going to cause more harm than good. How did we know that? Because we have seen a “collapse of any division between professionals and laymen, students and teachers, knowers and wonderers - in other words, between those with any achievement in the area and those with none at all”. So a lot of people simply decided that they knew more than the medical experts, or they simply searched for someone who would confirm their already-held beliefs. And in 2021, there’s always someone.

And, of course, it wasn’t just the vaccine. We reacted to simple mitigation steps like wearing a mask as if we were being forced to crawl across broken glass on our hands and knees. We weren’t about to eat that broccoli.

Serious countries don’t react like we have.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:

Serious countries don’t react like we have.
you should probably move to a serious country
Old 09-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
In a practical sense, little kids are immune.
Pediatric cases are way up actually, and they can still pass it along. Comparing the vaccinated and tested Emmys to school kids doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense either.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you should probably move to a serious country
The pandemics 2nd wrongest commentator continues to just be clueless.

As a state Vermont took it seriously, and it has worked.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Pour children someone is trying to protect them and others from getting sick or worse dying, we did it with so many other infectious diseases. Oh wait pour republican parents who can’t parent and deal with the new regulations like responsible adults wahwah.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Pour children someone is trying to protect them and others from getting sick or worse dying, we did it with so many other infectious diseases. Oh wait pour republican parents who can’t parent and deal with the new regulations like responsible adults wahwah.
you’re so damn dense. If my kids have to wear masks to protect others ( which may be a valid argument), why don’t all the people at the emmys? why do they have the right to risk the health of others for the convenience of not wearing a mask, but our kids don’t have that right?

you’re impossible to talk to. you really miss my point so completely?

Just be consistent. that’s all.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Pediatric cases are way up actually, and they can still pass it along. Comparing the vaccinated and tested Emmys to school kids doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense either.
my 15 year old is vaccinated and i can get him tested tomorrow. but he still had to wear a mask at school.

You are the single
most predictable
person on this board.

Tell me why if a group of actors are tested and vaccinated, they can forgo masks. But kids who are tested and vaccinated, Can’t.

are kids getting sick more than adults? is that what you’re saying?? are you saying children are a riskier group than adults? have fun with that.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
according to data released by NPR, the ratio of
kids getting sick compared to adults, is about the same as it’s been.

if kids absolute numbers are going up, but adult numbers are also going up by the same proportion, that means kids are still
less risky than adults.

WTF do you know about what makes sense?

Look at that photo, they’re on top of each other. if that’s safe as long as they’re vaccinated with a negative test,,why isn’t school? kids who are six feet apart, still have to wear masks?

Make sense of that.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/10304...fects-children

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-20-2021 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Herschel Walker played Russian roulette and is still here, guess anyone could try that.

I wouldn't recommend it, someone might try, just to own a lib.......

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
my 15 year old is vaccinated and i can get him tested tomorrow. but he still had to wear a mask at school.

You are the single
most predictable
person on this board.

Tell me why if a group of actors are tested and vaccinated, they can forgo masks. But kids who are tested and vaccinated, Can’t.

are kids getting sick more than adults? is that what you’re saying?? are you saying children are a riskier group than adults? have fun with that.

Does your son only go to school with 15 year olds? have they all be vaccinated ?.. Why does a mask bother you as bad as someone Throwing an Egg ? Republicans act as if a Mask is a yellow star or some evil form of control ... it's just a mask .. To bad parents can't adjust to mask wearing as effortlessly as Children.. there is always the home school approach freedom of choice is still alive and well
Old 09-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #21
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
you’re so damn dense. If my kids have to wear masks to protect others ( which may be a valid argument), why don’t all the people at the emmys? why do they have the right to risk the health of others for the convenience of not wearing a mask, but our kids don’t have that right?

you’re impossible to talk to. you really miss my point so completely?

Just be consistent. that’s all.
Oh I got your pointless point, regulating sports events, theatre and special events is up to the event planners. Schools are different, but you go Jim I know you like to beat the dead horses.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Does your son only go to school with 15 year olds? have they all be vaccinated ?.. Why does a mask bother you as bad as someone Throwing an Egg ? Republicans act as if a Mask is a yellow star or some evil form of control ... it's just a mask .. To bad parents can't adjust to mask wearing as effortlessly as Children.. there is always the home school approach freedom of choice is still alive and well
at my sons school, they’re all vaccinated ( private school).

why change the subject?

answer - even you know you can’t discuss this subject, and not have your side look stupid.

you’re dodging the question completely. because you know you can’t answer it without losing the argument.

how the hell do you know, how effortlessly kids are adjusting?

why can’t actors adjust to wearing their masks?

because you can only criticize the right. you’re a brain dead parrot.

everyone of you is exactly the same.

You’ll criticize republicans for
mask hesitancy, but. it these people. Please explain why?

have fun!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
The Emmy's were a single event with a few thousand people, it would likely be be impossible to test millions of kids frequently enough not to mention for the schools to manage it.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Schools are different,
How are schools that different from huge banquet halls that host the emmys?

My kids schools are also socially distancing. Are the people in the photo?

And schools have children. Children are less risky than adults.

Where did I go wrong?
Old 09-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Emmy's were a single event with a few thousand people, it would likely be be impossible to test millions of kids frequently enough not to mention for the schools to manage it.
Many, many schools do regular testing. Most colleges tested students weekly all last year. Not sure what planet you've ben living on. My son's school tests everyone, every two weeks. What else ya got?

Just keep making stuff out of thin air, Mr Common Sense, as long as it serves The Narrative.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pediatric cases are way up actually, and they can still pass it along. .
Let's stick to your response for a moment.

Are you saying that as of now, kids are not meaningfully less vulnerable to covid, than adults? Sure seems like that's what you're saying.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
it would likely be be impossible to test millions of kids frequently enough not to mention for the schools to manage it.
Great timing for that lame argument.

New York City announced today that they will test all public school children weekly.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...hools-80127892

Same thing in Los Angeles...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/w...ols-covid.html

Would you care to recant?
Old 09-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Many, many schools do regular testing. Most colleges tested students weekly all last year. Not sure what planet you've ben living on. My son's school tests everyone, every two weeks.
Nation wide there are some 80 million students, not to mention a lot of states and schools that would refuse to do it. Doesn't seem like the protocols in place right now are that demanding, why change if the rates of infection are still too high?
Old 09-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
Let's stick to your response for a moment.

Are you saying that as of now, kids are not meaningfully less vulnerable to covid, than adults? Sure seems like that's what you're saying.
No that's not what I said.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nation wide there are some 80 million students, not to mention a lot of states and schools that would refuse to do it. Doesn't seem like the protocols in place right now are that demanding, why change if the rates of infection are still too high?
ok let’s make it really simple.

so in my sons school, where every kid is vaccinated and every kid is tested every other week, why should he have to wear a mask, especially when they are socially distancing, , while these adults ( a far riskier group) aren’t required to do so, while sitting on top of one another.