Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Sponsors Specials » Surfcasting Rhode Island

Surfcasting Rhode Island Online tackle shop with useful and unique items and fishing content.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Plum Crazy

Let's get this PARTY STARTED!

We need to up this thread.
BIG TIME!
Joe is always there for us.
I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention.

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
swhitworth

I'm corn-fused what are we doing?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
wader-dad

ok I will tell you how I met Joe. Years ago I wanted to speed up the learning curve so I hired Joe when he was still guiding to take me out. So we meet and he puts a danny on my line and says ok lets see you cast. So I cast and I start reeling in the plug so fast the Danny is barely touching the water. So he says Dude what are you doing? (This could have been before dude got popular). I said I am bringing in the lure. It took about 5 casts before he got me to slow down enough. Like a commercial with 5 takes. Slower - Slower.

He taught me alot that night- beach, jetty,rocks, plugs, eels, gear, reading the water. Caught fish. Best money I ever spent.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Joe works for the The Samaritans now.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Plum Crazy

LOL good story wader-dad.
So did you hook up?
Joe still guiding?
I don't know why I started this thread.
Winter has me so bummed out. I think I am losing my mind.
63 days till spring.

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Joe

Thanks for the nice comments. No, I do not guide anymore.

Tynan - That comment I made over on the main board was more of a surfcaster's eye view of the world.
When fishing or going to fish, I've had the most unwelcoming, rude encounters with people. You will also if you fish enough places. So what? You can't let your negative experiences with other people get to you. People are more transitory than furniture, they'll be gone or missing in short order.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
... You can't let your negative experiences with other people get to you. People are more transitory than furniture, they'll be gone or missing in short order...
Yup, I agree with ya, Joe...here today, gone later today...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Redsoxticket

Joe's writing skills are excellent and I truely miss his articles that had frequent the OTW magazine. Matter of fact I dropped my subscription for a year plus once he stopped writing the RI inside stories. He talked from a surfcasting perspective that made it interesting.

Victor
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Joe, I was trying to add a little humor. In your response to a sarcastic comment on your original comment you said you were trying to be funny. I thought I was being funny taking that negative comment and turning it around to say you were working for the agency that says call them if you are desperate, You See? I work with 3000 plus people in a hospital. I deal with enough ego's, negative people and dying people to know what is out there. That is why I fish to get away from all that.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
wader-dad

I think we should have a Winter get together of all of Joe Surfcasting Rhode Island fans and take Joe out to lunch and a beer some Saturday.

That would be a good time (although Joe would be interacting with some humans in a social setting)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan19 View Post
Joe, I was trying to add a little humor. In your response to a sarcastic comment on your original comment you said you were trying to be funny. I thought I was being funny taking that negative comment and turning it around to say you were working for the agency that says call them if you are desperate, You See? I work with 3000 plus people in a hospital. I deal with enough ego's, negative people and dying people to know what is out there. That is why I fish to get away from all that.
I should have said that I meant the guy who did not want to post anymore over a negative response. Not you.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wader-dad View Post
I think we should have a Winter get together of all of Joe Surfcasting Rhode Island fans and take Joe out to lunch and a beer some Saturday.

That would be a good time (although Joe would be interacting with some humans in a social setting)
You keep trying to get me out I get afraid that it might be a trap.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Rob Rockcrawler

How out the TFCTFN. Good excuse to get out, and i can meet the guy who gets my money on more than 10 occasions.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Raven

i vote for JOE

Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
wader-dad

Joe- just so you know- this is what happens when guys take you to lunch.

You show up at a restaurant, you get seated at a table by a hopefully nice looking woman, you sit down and at the table are guys you know- friendly guys- maybe even a customer or 2. You then get another nice looking woman to bring you free food and free beer. You eat the food and drink the beer. Some guy may say something like I like Sluggos or I like that RM Smith danny I got from you. Stuff like that. Then you get to leave unscathed. No trap involved.

I can take you to lunch myself for a practice run. Then you can see if you like it.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Joe's afraid to leave his basement, the light is to bright it hurts his eyes

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
Joe's afraid to leave his basement, the light is to bright it hurts his eyes
IT PUTS ON IT'S LOTION - NOW!

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Joe

Or else it gets the hose again.
It won't do Crafty, this ham-handed popular culture reference....I really expected more from you.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Right you are, Joe - intellectual sloth is the first step on the road to perdition...