Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Lawn tractors

Ok so we are under agreement on a home and it has a LOT of lawn (for me anyways, prob about an acre of mowing at least). I want to find a used lawn tractor. Just looking for some info on what brands are good and what to look for when buying used (or maybe you will tell me I shouldn't buy used! (lot of these on craigslist for people downsizing it seems). Seems most available are John Deere or Craftsman both solid brands just based on the names but I really don't know anything about these things.

Last edited by Rockport24; 06-22-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Fwiw, neighbor just had a 5 year old Craftsman blow a motor and I mean BLOW! Blew a hole right out of the side.

I did research and ended up buying a Cub Cadet. Great machine. No problems. Know of several over 10 years old still purring.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Btw, when I picked mine up, I saw a TON of Ariens in the service area. Something to watch out for
Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas View Post
Fwiw, neighbor just had a 5 year old Craftsman blow a motor and I mean BLOW! Blew a hole right out of the side.

I did research and ended up buying a Cub Cadet. Great machine. No problems. Know of several over 10 years old still purring.

You got a real Cub Cadet or a Home Depot Cub Cadet ?
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Duke41
got gas?

Got a real Deere 12 years old no problems.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

If you get a Deere or a Cub Cadet, I recommend getting them from a dealer not a Big Box version. I have a 1998 Deere that has a 48" mower and a 44" snow thrower. Someone gave it to me and I had to replace the engine, it has been running strong since. Rumor is Mrs. B ran it without oil.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
Raider Ronnie

I just went from a Home Depot John Deere 48 inch 20hp Briggs V-twin hydrostatic auto that had a tired motor to a commercial Cub Cadet 54inch deck, 23hp Kohler Command motor, shaft driven pto driven hydraulics including power steering, hydraulic deck up & down.
Also has Power Flow bagging system with online blower.
The John Deere was a toy compared to this machine.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I just went from a Home Depot John Deere 48 inch 20hp Briggs V-twin hydrostatic auto that had a tired motor to a commercial Cub Cadet 54inch deck, 23hp Kohler Command motor, shaft driven pto driven hydraulics including power steering, hydraulic deck up & down.
Also has Power Flow bagging system with online blower.
The John Deere was a toy compared to this machine.
I had been watching CL & other classifieds for about a year for a machine like this, more specific with the Power Flow bagging system.
thing sucks up every grass clipping, pine needle & leaf.
Fall leaf clean up will be easy compared to years past.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Rockport24

thanks for the info guys
so a "Real" deere or a cub cadet is the way to go it sounds like?
the craftsmens get good reviews online too, anyone have one?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #10
Raven

ask the repair shops
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have a craftsman, it's my second one. First I bought, lasted 6 years or so, tranny stuck in gear, then would not start, put out front by road, gone in 30 minutes. This one was given to me by my dad, it's an automatic. works ok for my small property. I would not reccomend one for your size yard, it won't last

go with a real dealer, not lowes or HD

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
redlite

I have been thru a bunch of good 2nd hand machines over the past couple of years. Mtd, toro, craftsman
Current machine is a beast of a crapsman. Tld 2000. 48" 22 hp kohler engine. Hydrostatic pedal drive. Only had 200 hrs on it. Cruise contol. Electric mower engagement. A P.O.S
Before i bought it i looked into them and there were complaints about the hydrostatic tranny failing. My brother assured me this machine was fine. Well it isnt. On flat ground it is fine. Any incline and machine slows to stop and whines. Cant tow even the kids in the trailer Have researched repairing and it seems it is common unrepairable issue great.
Engine is a strong powerful v twin tho
I would recommend staying away from big box store machines. Go to a dealer and get a real cub cadet. As big as u can afford. Machine raider ronnie got is the ticket. Worth the investment to buy new and not inherit someone elses problems. Not worth the savings of a used machine vs new and no headaches. My machine new was $2800. I got it for $700. A waste
Only other recommendation i can give is try to buy a machine with a good metal hood. Thought my neighbor was off his rocker bitchin that he wouldnt buy an other machine with a plastic hood. Now i know why. Every single one i have had including this one have broken
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
You got a real Cub Cadet or a Home Depot Cub Cadet ?
Picked up a real Cub Cadet. Got the LTX42kh with the Kohler 22hp. Thing is fantastic

Bob Thomas
Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
Liv2Fish

Love my (real) Cub Cadet. I have the LXT4500 and it's been great. I'm very hard on it too. Pulled small landscape bush stumps by jerking them out. Haven't had any issues at all. I broke the blade drive belt once but that was 3 years old and I was mowing 6" tall rough with it. They recommend changing the drive belt with the oil every 50 hours. My mower is now about 8 years old and I'm still on the 2nd belt.

Oh, and I haven't raked leaves once since I got it. I blow them into a pile them run the pile over several times with the mulching cover on the mower deck, then switch to the vacuum bag and suck them up. Takes me about an 2 hours to de-leaf my .75 ached lawn. I do it two or three times each fall while having a few beers and listening to the pats game.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
Cool Beans

I have a 2nd or perhaps 4th or 5th hand old Craftsman 19hp that I purchased on Craigs list for $300 last year that runs like a beast. I have the big trailer and snow plow for it and push snow, haul firewood and have dragged trees out of the forest with it. I really like my old Craftsman. (my yard is more of a 1.5 acres of wooded forest than grass, so I have not used the mower deck)
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #16
Rockport24

thanks guys - not sure if I will have the scratch for a new fancy machine but I will research it out. I definitely don't want to throw away money on a POS second or third hand one though.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #17
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Cub cadet offers 1 year interest free financing. Bunch of other options out there like that as well
Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
petern27

I suggest going for a John Deere-parts always available and built to last (I have 15 years with the same machine)-Just make sure you service it!
petern27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
Rockport24

thanks, the more research I do, the more I am leaning towards a "real" Deere, they are just so damn expensive though, get what you pay for as I always say
Old 08-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Rockport24

Ok so I've determined there is no way I can afford a new machine right now, so do you guys think I can find something for around $500 that could get me through the end of this season and maybe through some of next year? Or is that just a bad idea and should I just pay someone to mow my yard for the rest of this season?

If anyone knows of anyone selling a decent machine let me know, not having a lot of luck on craigs list
Old 08-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
MrHunters
What was that!?!

if all you are doing is mowing.. you can find a JD from a dealer for <1500.. they have recommendations for different size lawns.. I went from .5 acres to 3.5 and my D105 couldnt handle it... soooo I financed a x530 and its a BEAST.. I always here dont go with a HD version of a john deere but my D105 was set up by the dealer near the house (had a sticker on it saying "Set up by Rosencrantz and Sons" The dealer ALSO sells the D105.. That said, it is the lowest model you can buy. Perfectly fine for under and acre.. My point is, I think the same parts are under the hood..not 100% sure though. So I guess the answer depends on what you want to do. Go to a dealer and talk to them. I got mine from http://www.nhtractor.com/ -- they were very helpful... Got the 48inch snow thrower too.. Its going to make snowblowing fun this year!. good luck.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
gh0ztkid21

I did pick up a husqvarna z254i zero turn from gamka equipment and so far is very good. They have a good deal 10year warranty on deck and frame, 3 year warranty on engine and they offer 0% apr up to 48 months. And their mowers are priced very well and not the big store #^&#^&#^&#^& that you get. I did just get mine this year so we'll see what time will bring but it is built very well and it will last a long time. Especially how I take care of my stuff. Wash it after every use, kept inside out of the weather and although on the long straight away I fly with it, on the hills and around the trees I take my time and don't bang it up. Time will tell but I would recommend checking them out.
gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #23
Raven

home depot wanted $1700 for their model of xt1 cub cadet

wonder what tractor supply inc will ask for theirs? hmmm

Last edited by Raven; 09-06-2015 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #24
Raven

fixed my old one (tor0 )
bought a duplicate
now have 2 riders
for less than the price
of a new one....
Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Matt,
Maestranzi Brothers has a couple listed on their specials page of website. Take a drive. Buy your straw hats in the winter.....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote