Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The first yields no benefit to the American people. I'm sorry but saving 1 million people in Africa from AIDS just means that they're now going to die from famine, war or some other disease. With the number of homeless children and vets that we have in this country, the billions sent overseas for other countries' people is a major sticking point for me.

In the second, it could be argued that Bush's "security infrastructure", along with his Patriot Act could be argued to be the pinnacle point in which we started down the rabbit hole of a totalitarian-like government where once inalienable rights are blatantly infringed upon and every citizen is treated as a terrorist.
"The first yields no benefit to the American people. "

I'll respectfully disagree, as the yield to this American is quite astounding.

"the billions sent overseas for other countries' people is a major sticking point for me."

You make a good point there. All I can say to that is this...many problems here (like poverty and homelessness) can not be solved by throwing money at tham. Many people are not poor due to a lack of money, they are poor because of laziness or menatl disease or addiction. Can't cure that with money. But you absolutely can save the life of an African baby, born with AIDS, with money.

But as usual, you make a logical point about solving our own problems first. There is some validity to that.

"down the rabbit hole of a totalitarian-like government where once inalienable rights are blatantly infringed upon and every citizen is treated as a terrorist"

I'll respectfully disagree again. IMHO, the world changed on 09/11, and we can respond to the new threat or we can ignore it. I have never felt like I was being treated like a terrorist. I don't see any large-scale elimination of inalienable rights. I don't see that I have an inalienable right to bring a shampoo bottle on a plane, I can just as easily buy it when I get there.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #62
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Come on...

First and foremost, George Bush is credited with saving the lives of more than one million Africans, thanks to a massive AIDS initiative that he spearheaded (called EPFAR). In a fair world, he gets the Nobel Peace Prize for that. Obama will never do anything that comes close to that.
Some might say pushing and signing a bill that will ensure health care for millions of people comes somewhat close to that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #63
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Some might say pushing and signing a bill that will ensure health care for millions of people comes somewhat close to that.
hope he tries to run on that one

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA),[1] informally referred to as Obamacare,[2] is a United States federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010

January 24, 2012
More Americans Uninsured in 2011

However, more adults aged 18 to 26 now covered

by Elizabeth Mendes

This is the first article in an in-depth series on the state of health insurance coverage in America. Future articles will explore trends in types of health insurance coverage and uninsured rates across states.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More American adults lacked health insurance coverage last year than in any year since Gallup and Healthways started tracking it in 2008. The uninsured rate has been increasing since 2008, climbing to 17.1% in 2011.

at least we're covering more "children" ages 18-26...good place to start or reinforce the road to government dependence oh wait....we're actually forcing insurance companies to accept them as children so that they can stay on mommy and daddy's policy....

Young Adults Seem to Benefit From New Healthcare Law

U.S. adults aged 18 to 25 -- who are now allowed to stay on their parents' plans until age 26 because of a provision of the 2010 healthcare law -- are less likely to be uninsured than in previous years. The percentage of uninsured declined further in 2011 to 24.5%, from 27.6% in 2010 and 28.2% in 2009. Although this group is still among the most likely to be uninsured, it is the only group Gallup tracks that has seen a significant decline in the percentage uninsured in 2011.

should have made it 36.....then the numbers would be really inmpressive

Last edited by scottw; 08-10-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Some might say that...but as of now, it hasn't happened yet. Bush saved those lives, past tense. Obamacare has lofty goals, which are nowhere near accomplished yet. Time will tell if Obamacare does what he said it would do, but we know for a fact what Bush did. And Bush's feat remains mostly anonymous because of deranged hatred.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #65
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
hope he tries to run on that one

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA),[1] informally referred to as Obamacare,[2] is a United States federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010

January 24, 2012
More Americans Uninsured in 2011

However, more adults aged 18 to 26 now covered

by Elizabeth Mendes

This is the first article in an in-depth series on the state of health insurance coverage in America. Future articles will explore trends in types of health insurance coverage and uninsured rates across states.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More American adults lacked health insurance coverage last year than in any year since Gallup and Healthways started tracking it in 2008. The uninsured rate has been increasing since 2008, climbing to 17.1% in 2011.
Most of the law isnt in effect. You wanted to point out that one of the few parts that went into effect has lowered the uninsured rate?

at least we're covering more "children" ages 18-26...good place to start or reinforce the road to government dependence oh wait....we're actually forcing insurance companies to accept them as children so that they can stay on mommy and daddy's policy....

Young Adults Seem to Benefit From New Healthcare Law

U.S. adults aged 18 to 25 -- who are now allowed to stay on their parents' plans until age 26 because of a provision of the 2010 healthcare law -- are less likely to be uninsured than in previous years. The percentage of uninsured declined further in 2011 to 24.5%, from 27.6% in 2010 and 28.2% in 2009. Although this group is still among the most likely to be uninsured, it is the only group Gallup tracks that has seen a significant decline in the percentage uninsured in 2011.

should have made it 36.....then the numbers would be really inmpressive

Most of the law isnt in effect. You wanted to point out that one of the few parts that went into effect has lowered the uninsured rate?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #66
detbuch

Quote:
"down the rabbit hole of a totalitarian-like government where once inalienable rights are blatantly infringed upon and every citizen is treated as a terrorist"

I'll respectfully disagree again. IMHO, the world changed on 09/11, and we can respond to the new threat or we can ignore it. I have never felt like I was being treated like a terrorist. I don't see any large-scale elimination of inalienable rights. I don't see that I have an inalienable right to bring a shampoo bottle on a plane, I can just as easily buy it when I get there.
You don't have the inalienable right to bring a shampoo bottle on a plane because the plane is not your property. Supposedly, the plane belongs to the airline company, and it has a right to say what you can bring onto its planes. That is the company's inalienable right to its property. It acts constitutionally when, on its uncoerced volition, it prohibits the shampoo bottle. When, however, it is coerced to do so by the government, the government, in effect, owns that piece of its property, and is denying, in that respect, its inalienable right and ownership of that property. The overreaching government in this case will say that it is acting under the now ubiqitous commerce clause. Originalists would say that the commerce clause was intended to promote commercial cooperation among the States, but not a tool for the central government to own commerce. The clause was not intended to allow the central government to become a commercial entity, nor one which would usurp the commercial powers of private entities. A progressive would say that the Constitution has evolved, and, indeed, the Federal Government does have, as a necessity, unlimited powers under various clauses.

Property and the right to it is precisely one of the original principles that progressives intend to remake. The progressive shift of property is from the individual, as originally intended, to the public, which, of course, is expressed in, and by, the government. For the public good, individual ownership of property must be limited to "reasonable" and "fair" or "equitable" bounds. Property was orignally one of the main tenets of the Founders Declaration of Independence. The pursuit of happiness was a more generalized version of the pursuit and ownership of property.

And this attack on property, and inalienable rights, started down, as JohnnyD says, the rabbit hole of a totalitarian like government long before Bush. And it is parroted as a benevolent exercise by various speeches of Obama, such as his you-didn't-build-it speech. It is government, directly, or through its regulatory directions of the people, that did it. We build publicly more and more, and own as individuals, less and less, through the regulatory schemes of a benevolent gvt. that directs our efforts toward the public good, not the selfish private.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You don't have the inalienable right to bring a shampoo bottle on a plane because the plane is not your property. Supposedly, the plane belongs to the airline company, and it has a right to say what you can bring onto its planes. That is the company's inalienable right to its property. It acts constitutionally when, on its uncoerced volition, it prohibits the shampoo bottle. When, however, it is coerced to do so by the government, the government, in effect, owns that piece of its property, and is denying, in that respect, its inalienable right and ownership of that property. The overreaching government in this case will say that it is acting under the now ubiqitous commerce clause. Originalists would say that the commerce clause was intended to promote commercial cooperation among the States, but not a tool for the central government to own commerce. The clause was not intended to allow the central government to become a commercial entity, nor one which would usurp the commercial powers of private entities. A progressive would say that the Constitution has evolved, and, indeed, the Federal Government does have, as a necessity, unlimited powers under various clauses.

Property and the right to it is precisely one of the original principles that progressives intend to remake. The progressive shift of property is from the individual, as originally intended, to the public, which, of course, is expressed in, and by, the government. For the public good, individual ownership of property must be limited to "reasonable" and "fair" or "equitable" bounds. Property was orignally one of the main tenets of the Founders Declaration of Independence. The pursuit of happiness was a more generalized version of the pursuit and ownership of property.

And this attack on property, and inalienable rights, started down, as JohnnyD says, the rabbit hole of a totalitarian like government long before Bush. And it is parroted as a benevolent exercise by various speeches of Obama, such as his you-didn't-build-it speech. It is government, directly, or through its regulatory directions of the people, that did it. We build publicly more and more, and own as individuals, less and less, through the regulatory schemes of a benevolent gvt. that directs our efforts toward the public good, not the selfish private.
"That is the company's inalienable right to its property..."

The airline doesn't own the space above my house where it flies the plane. Therefore, I have no problem with the feds telling airlines that they have to take precautions before they take to the skies. If an airline doesn't ant to put security measures into place, that endangers all of us.

"Property and the right to it is precisely one of the original principles that progressives intend to remake."

Agreed 100%. I just don't feel like the post 09/11 security measures have reduced my freedoms by any measurable amount.

I see a lot of things that scare me out there, most of them economic in nature, because I'm a numbers guy. But not many safety measures that are part of the war on terror, worry me. I only worry that we aren't going far enough in the name of political correctness.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #68
scottw

Quote:

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that most of those 18-26 year olds would prefer a job to a free ride on their parents health insurance policy and a room in their basement
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that most of those 18-26 year olds would prefer a job to a free ride on their parents health insurance policy and a room in their basement
I hope you're right. But the fact that a large majority of those 18-26 year olds will vote for Obama, makes me think they'd prefer a handout.

How do you add $4 trillion to the debt, and still have unemployment over 8%...Not much to show for that expenditure...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #70
detbuch

Quote:
"That is the company's inalienable right to its property..."

The airline doesn't own the space above my house where it flies the plane. Therefore, I have no problem with the feds telling airlines that they have to take precautions before they take to the skies.

Who "owns" the space above your house, and how high up is it owned. Are there any international and free levels? Are you saying the Federal government owns the space. And it's quite a leap from "The airline doesn't own the space" to "I have no problem with the feds telling airlines . . ." What is the connection between the airlines not owning the space to the gvt. telling them what to do? Under the premise that airlines not owning the space gives the gvt. power to tell them what precautions they must take, what is it that the government cannot demand the airlines do? Do you own that space above your house? Remember, there is a difference between space and atmosphere. Since the space is above your house, it is certain that you are in various ways entering that space with every breath you breath or car you drive or cigarette you smoke, or in so many innumerable ways. Does this give gvt. the power to make you do as it wishes? Do you believe that market competition is a more effective driving economic force than government regulation? Haven't airlines taken many "precautions" without being told by government to do so?

If an airline doesn't ant to put security measures into place, that endangers all of us.

I think JohnnyD's point about the "rabbit hole" of totalitarian like gvt. leading to every citizen being treated like a terrorist, exagerated as it is (you do understant hyperbole, right?) stems from security measures being directed at citizens rather than actual terrorists. Rather than the government constitutionally protecting us from terrorists by securing borders, cooperating with States to find and deport aliens, and demanding the exportation of those whose visas have expired, keeping tabs on all who are here for temporary purposes, and, most importantly, taking the so-called war on terror to those places where they reside, hide, and breed, in an all-out war of actual annihilation or surrender of the enemies . . . rather than that, we impose security measures at home. Half wars like Viet-Nam, Desert Storm, temporary occupations, counter insurgencies from a distance, and avoidence of collateral damage, don't seem to stop determined adversaries. Crush them totally in the first instance, rather than imposing bunker mentality regulations on our own people. The Afghanistan war should have been a quick and massive destruction with the understood and expressed threat that this is what you will get if you harbor those that kill us.

I see a lot of things that scare me out there, most of them economic in nature, because I'm a numbers guy. But not many safety measures that are part of the war on terror, worry me. I only worry that we aren't going far enough in the name of political correctness.
When you give government power over you for safety, you might be a bit safer in one way (debatable), but in danger of forfeiting your sovereignty in another. Was it Franklin that said something to the effect that those who give up liberty for security and comfort deserve neither (or will lose both?).

Last edited by detbuch; 08-10-2012 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #71
zimmy

Quote:
Luckily, pretty soon after we got the current president, we stopped purging jobs. I know, don't blame Bush

" For each job the private sector cut under George W. Bush, the private sector gained~0.09 jobs under Barack Obama (if one attributes January 2009′s job losses to Obama, the private sector eliminated ~5 jobs for every job it created under Bush). The economy would need to destroy 701,000 private sector jobs for Bush to break even with Obama (not accounting for the 125,000 jobs that the economy must create each month just to keep pace with population growth)."

Bush vs. Obama: Unemployment (May 2012 Jobs Data) | Reflections of a Rational Republican

Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Luckily, pretty soon after we got the current president, we stopped purging jobs. I know, don't blame Bush

" For each job the private sector cut under George W. Bush, the private sector gained~0.09 jobs under Barack Obama (if one attributes January 2009′s job losses to Obama, the private sector eliminated ~5 jobs for every job it created under Bush). The economy would need to destroy 701,000 private sector jobs for Bush to break even with Obama (not accounting for the 125,000 jobs that the economy must create each month just to keep pace with population growth)."

Bush vs. Obama: Unemployment (May 2012 Jobs Data) | Reflections of a Rational Republican
I hope he tries to run on that too

Obama’s remarks on worst job growth: Did he end it or should he own it? - The Washington Post

The Pinocchio Test

There’s no doubt that Bush owns an unimpressive record on job creation. But Obama comes in either last, second-to-last or in the bottom half among presidents since the Great Depression, depending on which way you look at the numbers. considering all of the money he spent saving and creating jobs..you'd think he'd have better results

The president said that policies from 2000 through 2008 produced the “most sluggish job growth we’ve ever seen.” Perhaps so, but the worst numbers on record occurred under his watch.

Obama chose a poor metric for measuring past administrations. To make his point with jobs data, he has to point to his own numbers and completely disavow much of them, or else ignore public-sector losses. We came close to thinking this was worth Three Pinocchios, but ultimately decided he was not necessarily including his record in the statement oh....just give him 4 he's earned it . Still, it’s a very fine line. The president should be much more careful about making such a sweeping claim.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #73
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Three pages and I have a headache - time to roll a new thread

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: