Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I doin't think Bryan's article is incorrect. I've been noticing an upswing in High Tech in Massachusetts. Dice is the biggest Job Site for I.T.

I have been getting a lot more recruiters contacting me about opportunities in MA...a lot of guys I work with have also been getting a lot more calls/e-mails from recruiters.

I will say that IT has seemed to have gone more the temp to perm route. A lot of companies want to Vet their new hires that way as there are a lot of people claiming to have the skill sets needed but not being able to perform when hired.

The last 3 places I contracted with have all wanted to hire me on permanently, once they found out I was capable of doing the job.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I doin't think Bryan's article is incorrect. I've been noticing an upswing in High Tech in Massachusetts. Dice is the biggest Job Site for I.T.

I have been getting a lot more recruiters contacting me about opportunities in MA...a lot of guys I work with have also been getting a lot more calls/e-mails from recruiters.

I will say that IT has seemed to have gone more the temp to perm route. A lot of companies want to Vet their new hires that way as there are a lot of people claiming to have the skill sets needed but not being able to perform when hired.

The last 3 places I contracted with have all wanted to hire me on permanently, once they found out I was capable of doing the job.
point in time, look at the trend over the past 10 years. just because 3000 jobs were added, how many were lost over the years.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
while I agree with you that companies dont care about your quality of life, the quality of life of an area is what attracts talented people. Its not about only money. people want work/life balance and most cities cannot offer that.
I agree with that 100%...

There's a reason I won't work in the City.

I could make more money, but my quality of life would not be where it is.

I would be spending much more time commuting. I've managed so far to keep my commute to roughly 35-40 minutes wherever I've worked.

10 Minutes would be awesome....

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
point in time, look at the trend over the past 10 years. just because 3000 jobs were added, how many were lost over the years.
I know its a point in time...but at least its going up. Hopefully it will continue to trend that way.

Bottom line for me...Quality of life for me means Living in New England.

I've Lived in CA, and I've lived in SC....but I like New England the best.

I have been contemplating a move to NH or ME though...that may be happening

Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
Redsoxticket

I had traveled to most of the major newspapers in the design and development of the ad composition systems and interfaces. Two of those were the Dallas Morning News and the Houston Herald. This goes back to the many years ago and even then the job growth was phenomenal for the reasons you sited.
The overall health of people in TX appear to be healthy for most are lean and not overweight and the women are attractive.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

dad - i hear ya. this is not meant to be a personal thread, everyone has there own vlaues.
i just cannot believe that some are blatantly ignoring the article I posted and arguing against it. ignorance is the only word that fits

Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
dad - i hear ya. this is not meant to be a personal thread, everyone has there own vlaues.
i just cannot believe that some are blatantly ignoring the article I posted and arguing against it. ignorance is the only word that fits
Nobody is ignoring it.
My original point was, in large part, the Texas development is fueled by Energy payments to states, (which allows states to make incentives available to buisnesses) OR were around DC, based largely on Gov't contract work.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

incorrect Bry. look at the info.

Look, I am out of this discussion, I leave you the following. Do you what you want. My point in this forum is that the areas of growth in country are republican controlled. The areas of decline are democrat controlled. Please review the following.

Kiplinger.com

Another Triumph for Texas: Best/Worst States for Business 2012 | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

and again, my original post

Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Let me requote you.

Quote:
Its not about only money. people want work/life balance and most cities cannot offer that.
Now since its not about money, we'll go on your premise that those living in those places can afford it, therefore they're there for the work/life balance.

So, where you're living, list the number of the following there are:
World class theatres (where you might see say, Mathew Broderick doing a show)
World class restaurants (we'll be fair, 4 star or above)
World class museums (no explanation needed)
World class art galleries (no cowboy hats allowed)
World class views (something to compliment eben's work)
World class shops (those spence WOULD be found in)

Also while we're at it, if Texas is doing so great at job creation, why is its unemployment rate back up?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Let me requote you.

Now since its not about money, we'll go on your premise that those living in those places can afford it, therefore they're there for the work/life balance.

So, where you're living, list the number of the following there are:
World class theatres (where you might see say, Mathew Broderick doing a show)
World class restaurants (we'll be fair, 4 star or above)
World class museums (no explanation needed)
World class art galleries (no cowboy hats allowed)
World class views (something to compliment eben's work)
World class shops (those spence WOULD be found in)

Also while we're at it, if Texas is doing so great at job creation, why is its unemployment rate back up?
serioulsy? Are you really that narrow minded? Take a seat Likwid.

Ft Worth has one the largest cultural centers in the country

A few miles west of downtown Fort Worth, you can discover one of the largest arts districts in the nation.

The Fort Worth Cultural District features five internationally-recognized museums in a beautiful, park-like setting that are all acclaimed for their architecture, the quality of their collections and the programs they offer. This remarkable collection of museums in a single location has made Fort Worth a major destination for lovers of art and architecture.

Part of its surprising Cultural District (on Bowie Ave, west of downtown), the Kimbell Art Museum is, some say, the best ‘small’ art museum in the US, with a lovely naturally lit space for its Cezanne, Michelangelo and Caravaggio pieces. Its buffet lunch in its tranquil courtyard is one of Fort Worth’s favorite dining pleasures. Plus entrance is free!

well that covers museums and art and they're about 20 mins from my house. I didnt bother with dallas which has incredible science museums and aquariums

On to theatre!

theres bass hall in ft worth
Bass Performance Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Built as a multi-purpose facility, the Hall is able to house symphony, ballet, opera, stage, musicals, and rock concerts and it is now the permanent home to the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, Texas Ballet Theater, Fort Worth Opera, and the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition and Cliburn Concerts. Performing Arts Fort Worth, which manages the Hall, also hosts its own performances here, including national touring Broadway productions and a family series.

(what no hoedowns? No tractor pulls!)

there are also these "dumps" in dallas
AT&T Performing Arts Center
an opera house? In dumb ole texas?
Winspear Opera House | AT&T Performing Arts Center

on to restaurants!
oh and a little more culture for ya
Dallas Design District Is a Destination for Art and Food, Too - NYTimes.com
fwfoodie.com - Fort Worth Foodie Magazine
Dallas' Texas-Size Offerings, from Five-Star Restaurants to World-Class Shopping - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Dallas boasts more restaurants per capita than any other city in America. There are endless options from the very sophisticated and chic to the casual and fun ambience. In addition to the true steak experience, Dallas offers cuisine from all over the world. Whatever your taste buds are wanting, Dallas' restaurants provide it all from Italian to Japanese/sushi to Latin to European to Chinese and Thai. Dallas' Mexican restaurants are always popular as well. Dallas has around 10 five-star restaurants, including Stephan Pyles, The French Room, Abacus, Nana, and The Mansion on Turtle Creek, to name a few.

Dallas has always been synonymous with shopping. We have it all. Dallas is home to the internationally recognized specialty store Neiman Marcus and it is also the site of America's oldest shopping center, Highland Park Village.

From unique boutiques to premier shopping malls and hip new shopping districts, Dallas has fashion buttoned up. Galleria Dallas, Northpark Center, Willow Bend Mall, Stonebriar Mall, West Village and Mockingbird Station are just a few of the shopping opportunities and areas that you shouldn't forego when you visit Dallas

I think that covers shopping too, but just in case, here is a vid from my neighboring town, we walk around here at night.....10 mins from my house

Southlake Town Square

so I think we covered everything but views, but before we go there, I think you left out something I value - diversity. Texas is just bunch of white people, right?
Important to me since my wife is chinese
Wrong....
A sizable Koreatown can be found in Dallas, though this mostly commercial area of the city has not been officially designated as such.[25] Dallas has the largest Korean American community in Texas and second (to Atlanta) in the Southern US.
Dallas has a thriving vietnamese community
And lets not forget food!
Asian Supermarkets in the Dallas Metroplex - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
that more than in the Boston metro area!

Now, you want views...not sure what to link to but google "beautiful views" dallas metroplex

Well, I think that does it. I've left out all the fairs, music festivals, jazz festival, cultural gathering. In a few weeks we go to the italian car festival and the week after the the annual wine festival in grapevine (somthing like 400,000 visitors)
Also, world class colleges and schools. My kids schools are rated 10, as exception, the highest rating there is

I've lived in San Francisco for years, my wife is from there, LA, and Boston area. Minutes from my house I have lakes, parks, shopping, culture, a fantastic music scene, restaurants, gourmet shops and can enjoy all of this for less that it would cost me to park in Boston.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've only been to Dallas once....and I was amazed at how clean of a city it was.

Every metroplitan area has its Cultural centers....and every metropolitan area of the country has a different culture....I personally like to take in every area I go to and check out the food, nightlife, and people

Seriously, beautiful ballpark there, great BBQ (I know, it doesn't come with Mango chutney and drizzled in Truffle oil), the people I met when I was there were friendly.

My only knock with that area is the weather....to friggin hot for my liking, I like 4 seasons.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

in massachuetts we wanted to send our kids to learn to speak chinese, closest place was an hour drive away.
Now, we have a place in our town that teaches it, 5 mins away.
I posted the cities culture and activites - the metroplex is huge and surrounded by towns with great centers, restaurtants, shopping, boutiques. Its amazing here.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Its amazing here.
If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?
Oh yeah... I forgot, it's Texas, you can't.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
in massachuetts we wanted to send our kids to learn to speak chinese, closest place was an hour drive away.
Now, we have a place in our town that teaches it, 5 mins away.
Your local take out joint doesn't qualify as a cultural center.

Job growth is a pretty complex thing and as we've discussed in the past, so many of the areas in the original link are growing because of government spending, energy spending and established businesses who are doing well.

Low taxes and regulation alone aren't an incentive to invest. Companies are taking advantage of where the MONEY IS FLOWING FROM and hiring there.

-spence
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #45
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
So how many of those can you walk to? You wanted to argue about Manhattan.

How many?

And I'm still waiting for your source of stats from earlier.

Ski Quicks Hole