Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #91
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'm curious as to why you feel that is 'safe to say', since none of the Democrats who voted for the war, were saying that, at the time. So you must have a deep, unique insight into what happened. Senators Hilary Clinton, John Edwards, John Kerry, Joe Biden, Barbara Boxer, Charles Schumer, Diana Feinstein all voted for the war. To my knowledge, none of them claimed they were coerced, not until the war became politically popular.
Well, I simply read what they actually said...not the out of context snippets virally circling the web in people's inboxes.

Everybody thought Iraq was a problem but there certainly wasn't a Dem position favoring the near unilateral action that resulted. Clinton especially made this point very clear.

Bush had to show the threat as well as immediacy. When you have the Vice President on TV claiming al Qaeda connections, Rice talking about mushroom clouds and stories about nuke development being planted in the New York Times you're going to scare a lot of people.

Remember back then a vast majority of American's though Saddam was in on 9/11.

We now have access to pretty much everything Congress had and it's the same BS intel that a bias towards war produced. The facts were indeed being fit around the policy. I'm not aware of specific people and specific lies, but when you're looking to justify something it's a lot easier to lean a little one way vs the other.

Congress as well voted before the UN resolution which Bush abandoned after it was looking like the inspections wouldn't turn up sufficient evidence.

If anything, the position of prominent Dems like Clinton or Kerry is in alignment with the UN Security Council.

Lie? Not so much...

-spence
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #92
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, I simply read what they actually said...not the out of context snippets virally circling the web in people's inboxes.

Everybody thought Iraq was a problem but there certainly wasn't a Dem position favoring the near unilateral action that resulted. Clinton especially made this point very clear.

Bush had to show the threat as well as immediacy. When you have the Vice President on TV claiming al Qaeda connections, Rice talking about mushroom clouds and stories about nuke development being planted in the New York Times you're going to scare a lot of people.

Remember back then a vast majority of American's though Saddam was in on 9/11.

We now have access to pretty much everything Congress had and it's the same BS intel that a bias towards war produced. The facts were indeed being fit around the policy. I'm not aware of specific people and specific lies, but when you're looking to justify something it's a lot easier to lean a little one way vs the other.

Congress as well voted before the UN resolution which Bush abandoned after it was looking like the inspections wouldn't turn up sufficient evidence.

If anything, the position of prominent Dems like Clinton or Kerry is in alignment with the UN Security Council.

Lie? Not so much...

-spence
"the position of prominent Dems like Clinton or Kerry is in alignment with the UN Security Council."

When the public supported Bush, I didn't hear those senators speaking out against the war. When public opinion turned against the war - BINGO - all of a sudden, those folks never really supoprted the war, rather they were duped by Bush's lies. What a coincidence!

Maybe those folks didn't like the near-unilateral approach. Neither did Bush. That's why Bush sent Colin Powell to the UN.

Bush admits he was wrong. Most of the Democrats who voted for the war will never admit that...rather, they were misled by Bush's lies.

Again, I feel you're being 100% fair to Bush. I just think you're bending over backwards to paint the Democrats who supported the war, in a favorable light.

I can't say it any simpler than this...those Democrats I mentioned supported the war when it was popular. When public opinion turned against the war, all of a sudden those Senators changed their tune. Either the timing is a coincidence, or they are being less than honest about not originally supporting the war.

Spence, you keep harping on the fact that they didn't like the near-unilateral way we did it. Maybe they didn't like it, but they voted for it. And two of them (Biden and Hilary) got significant promotions after that, while Bush is demonized. Seems a wee bit inconsistent. Bush was president, and the responsibility lies with him, so he deserves much criticism. But if the war was fundamentally immoral (as many liberals claim), I don't see why the senators who authorized it, get a pass.

I don't think we're that far apart on this one.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #93
scottw

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;971587

I don't think we're that far apart on this one.[/QUOTE]

there's harmony in the foxhole !!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #94
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
TDF and Scott, no surprise that I think Spence is incredibly wrong on just about everything, and I'm sure he feels the same. But Spence was fair (and not towing the liberal line) in his words about Bush. I give credit to him for not simply towing his party's line, I respect anyone who can demonstrate the ability to think for himself.

I have my opinions, obviously. But I'm fair-minded and consistent. I also likely agree with him on gay marriage and gun control. I'm not a parrot for the right-wing fringe.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #96
PaulS

Quote:
TDF and Scott, no surprise that I think Spence is incredibly wrong on just about everything, and I'm sure he feels the same. But Spence was fair (and not towing the liberal line) in his words about Bush. I give credit to him for not simply towing his party's line, I respect anyone who can demonstrate the ability to think for himself.

I have my opinions, obviously. But I'm fair-minded and consistent. I also likely agree with him on gay marriage and gun control. I'm not a parrot for the right-wing fringe.
You make me laugh.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #97
spence

Quote:
When the public supported Bush, I didn't hear those senators speaking out against the war. When public opinion turned against the war - BINGO - all of a sudden, those folks never really supoprted the war, rather they were duped by Bush's lies. What a coincidence!
Or you could say they were giving the President the benefit of doubt in a time of national crisis.

Quote:
Maybe those folks didn't like the near-unilateral approach. Neither did Bush. That's why Bush sent Colin Powell to the UN.
I don't believe many in Bush's inner circle wanted to involve the UN as it would have been an impediment to removing Saddam. They had to know the case against him wasn't as good as they were making it out to be...even President Bush was reported as remarking (in Woodward's book) "that's all we've got?".

Powell was sent to the UN to get support for the Congressional authorization.

Quote:
Bush admits he was wrong. Most of the Democrats who voted for the war will never admit that...rather, they were misled by Bush's lies.
From what I've read many have said given what they know now they wouldn't have voted for the authorization. This is a pretty rational position.

Quote:
Again, I feel you're being 100% fair to Bush. I just think you're bending over backwards to paint the Democrats who supported the war, in a favorable light.
I think many have deep regret that they didn't push harder. Hindsight is a bitch...

Quote:
I can't say it any simpler than this...those Democrats I mentioned supported the war when it was popular. When public opinion turned against the war, all of a sudden those Senators changed their tune. Either the timing is a coincidence, or they are being less than honest about not originally supporting the war.
Then you could say the same thing about the entire country. America was overwhelmingly behind the war when we believed the Administration's case and support eroded when it became clear that we were pushed into it.

Quote:
Spence, you keep harping on the fact that they didn't like the near-unilateral way we did it. Maybe they didn't like it, but they voted for it. And two of them (Biden and Hilary) got significant promotions after that, while Bush is demonized. Seems a wee bit inconsistent. Bush was president, and the responsibility lies with him, so he deserves much criticism. But if the war was fundamentally immoral (as many liberals claim), I don't see why the senators who authorized it, get a pass.
If anything was immoral it was the hawks in the Administration vigorously trying to find a way to justify war rather than vigorously trying to work to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

There's a big difference between Moveon.org and Senators Clinton and Kerry. You can't lump them all together.

-spence
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #98
ecduzitgood
time to go

I don't believe Bush lied. Please convince me.
How many resolutions did Saddam break before we took action? How many places did the inspectors get barred from inspecting?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saddam Hussein's Defiance of United Nations Resolutions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saddam Hussein has repeatedly violated sixteen United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) designed to ensure that Iraq does not pose a threat to international peace and security. In addition to these repeated violations, he has tried, over the past decade, to circumvent UN economic sanctions against Iraq, which are reflected in a number of other resolutions. As noted in the resolutions, Saddam Hussein was required to fulfill many obligations beyond the withdrawal of Iraqi forces from Kuwait. Specifically, Saddam Hussein was required to, among other things: allow international weapons inspectors to oversee the destruction of his weapons of mass destruction; not develop new weapons of mass destruction; destroy all of his ballistic missiles with a range greater than 150 kilometers; stop support for terrorism and prevent terrorist organizations from operating within Iraq; help account for missing Kuwaitis and other individuals; return stolen Kuwaiti property and bear financial liability for damage from the Gulf War; and he was required to end his repression of the Iraqi people. Saddam Hussein has repeatedly violated each of the following resolutions:

UNSCR 678 - November 29, 1990

•Iraq must comply fully with UNSCR 660 (regarding Iraq's illegal invasion of Kuwait) "and all subsequent relevant resolutions."

•Authorizes UN Member States "to use all necessary means to uphold and implement resolution 660 and all subsequent relevant resolutions and to restore international peace and security in the area."

UNSCR 686 - March 2, 1991

•Iraq must release prisoners detained during the Gulf War.

•Iraq must return Kuwaiti property seized during the Gulf War.

•Iraq must accept liability under international law for damages from its illegal invasion of Kuwait.

UNSCR 687 - April 3, 1991

•Iraq must "unconditionally accept" the destruction, removal or rendering harmless "under international supervision" of all "chemical and biological weapons and all stocks of agents and all related subsystems and components and all research, development, support and manufacturing facilities."

•Iraq must "unconditionally agree not to acquire or develop nuclear weapons or nuclear-weapons-usable material" or any research, development or manufacturing facilities.

•Iraq must "unconditionally accept" the destruction, removal or rendering harmless "under international supervision" of all "ballistic missiles with a range greater than 150 KM and related major parts and repair and production facilities."

•Iraq must not "use, develop, construct or acquire" any weapons of mass destruction.

•Iraq must reaffirm its obligations under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

•Creates the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM) to verify the elimination of Iraq's chemical and biological weapons programs and mandated that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) verify elimination of Iraq's nuclear weapons program.

•Iraq must declare fully its weapons of mass destruction programs.

•Iraq must not commit or support terrorism, or allow terrorist organizations to operate in Iraq.

•Iraq must cooperate in accounting for the missing and dead Kuwaitis and others.

•Iraq must return Kuwaiti property seized during the Gulf War.

UNSCR 688 - April 5, 1991

•"Condemns" repression of Iraqi civilian population, "the consequences of which threaten international peace and security."

•Iraq must immediately end repression of its civilian population.

•Iraq must allow immediate access to international humanitarian organizations to those in need of assistance.

UNSCR 707 - August 15, 1991

•"Condemns" Iraq's "serious violation" of UNSCR 687.

•"Further condemns" Iraq's noncompliance with IAEA and its obligations under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

•Iraq must halt nuclear activities of all kinds until the Security Council deems Iraq in full compliance.

•Iraq must make a full, final and complete disclosure of all aspects of its weapons of mass destruction and missile programs.

•Iraq must allow UN and IAEA inspectors immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access.

•Iraq must cease attempts to conceal or move weapons of mass destruction, and related materials and facilities.

•Iraq must allow UN and IAEA inspectors to conduct inspection flights throughout Iraq.

•Iraq must provide transportation, medical and logistical support for UN and IAEA inspectors.

UNSCR 715 - October 11, 1991

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN and IAEA inspectors.

UNSCR 949 - October 15, 1994

•"Condemns" Iraq's recent military deployments toward Kuwait.

•Iraq must not utilize its military or other forces in a hostile manner to threaten its neighbors or UN operations in Iraq.

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN weapons inspectors.

•Iraq must not enhance its military capability in southern Iraq.

UNSCR 1051 - March 27, 1996

•Iraq must report shipments of dual-use items related to weapons of mass destruction to the UN and IAEA.

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN and IAEA inspectors and allow immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access.

UNSCR 1060 - June 12, 1996

•"Deplores" Iraq's refusal to allow access to UN inspectors and Iraq's "clear violations" of previous UN resolutions.

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN weapons inspectors and allow immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access.

UNSCR 1115 - June 21, 1997

•"Condemns repeated refusal of Iraqi authorities to allow access" to UN inspectors, which constitutes a "clear and flagrant violation" of UNSCR 687, 707, 715, and 1060.

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN weapons inspectors and allow immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access.

•Iraq must give immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access to Iraqi officials whom UN inspectors want to interview.

UNSCR 1134 - October 23, 1997

•"Condemns repeated refusal of Iraqi authorities to allow access" to UN inspectors, which constitutes a "flagrant violation" of UNSCR 687, 707, 715, and 1060.

•Iraq must give immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access to Iraqi officials whom UN inspectors want to interview.

UNSCR 1137 - November 12, 1997

•"Condemns the continued violations by Iraq" of previous UN resolutions, including its "implicit threat to the safety of" aircraft operated by UN inspectors and its tampering with UN inspector monitoring equipment.

•Reaffirms Iraq's responsibility to ensure the safety of UN inspectors.

UNSCR 1154 - March 2, 1998

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN and IAEA weapons inspectors and allow immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access, and notes that any violation would have the "severest consequences for Iraq."

UNSCR 1194 - September 9, 1998

•"Condemns the decision by Iraq of 5 August 1998 to suspend cooperation with" UN and IAEA inspectors, which constitutes "a totally unacceptable contravention" of its obligations under UNSCR 687, 707, 715, 1060, 1115, and 1154.

•Iraq must cooperate fully with UN and IAEA weapons inspectors, and allow immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access.

UNSCR 1205 - November 5, 1998

•"Condemns the decision by Iraq of 31 October 1998 to cease cooperation" with UN inspectors as "a flagrant violation" of UNSCR 687 and other resolutions.

•Iraq must provide "immediate, complete and unconditional cooperation" with UN and IAEA inspectors.

UNSCR 1284 - December 17, 1999

•Created the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspections Commission (UNMOVIC) to replace previous weapon inspection team (UNSCOM).

•Iraq must allow UNMOVIC "immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access" to Iraqi officials and facilities.

•Iraq must fulfill its commitment to return Gulf War prisoners.

•Calls on Iraq to distribute humanitarian goods and medical supplies to its people and address the needs of vulnerable Iraqis without discrimination

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 11-28-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
Or you could say they were giving the President the benefit of doubt in a time of national crisis.

I don't believe many in Bush's inner circle wanted to involve the UN as it would have been an impediment to removing Saddam. They had to know the case against him wasn't as good as they were making it out to be...even President Bush was reported as remarking (in Woodward's book) "that's all we've got?".

Powell was sent to the UN to get support for the Congressional authorization.

From what I've read many have said given what they know now they wouldn't have voted for the authorization. This is a pretty rational position.

I think many have deep regret that they didn't push harder. Hindsight is a bitch...

Then you could say the same thing about the entire country. America was overwhelmingly behind the war when we believed the Administration's case and support eroded when it became clear that we were pushed into it.

If anything was immoral it was the hawks in the Administration vigorously trying to find a way to justify war rather than vigorously trying to work to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

There's a big difference between Moveon.org and Senators Clinton and Kerry. You can't lump them all together.

-spence
"Or you could say they were giving the President the benefit of doubt in a time of national crisis. "

You can say that if you wish. But it's not what they said at the time. What they said at the time was, Saddam has WMDs and needs to be stopped. In this same thread, I supplied quotes from those very same Democrats. Read them. But I must warn you, you won't like it.

Spence, if you have to ignore the actual facts and invent your own, doesn't that suggest that perhaps there is something flawed about what you believe?

"Powell was sent to the UN to get support for the Congressional authorization."

Spence, are you feeling all right today? If Powell was seeking COngressional approval, why didn't he simply address Congress? Why go all the way to New York, instead of walking across the street to the Capital Building? Who did Powell address at the UN - Congress?

Iraq was not a unilateral situation, by the way. I worked with soldiers from many different countries.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
Jim in CT

Quote:
Or you could say they (Democrats) were giving the President the benefit of doubt in a time of national crisis.

-spence
Spence, this, right here, is a pivotal moment for you.

In the above statement, you are saying that prominent Democrats didn't genuinely believe that Saddam had WMDs. but rather, they were just giving Bush the benefit of the doubt (as if they did that all the time, but we'll save that for another day).

Here is what those prominent Democrats actually said. you tell me if what they are saying is that they are just giving Bush the benefit of the doubt, of if they really believe what they are saying...

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes

"We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's WMD program" - Bill Clinton, 1998

"respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end it's WMD program" - Senator John Kerry, 1998 (before Bush was president)

"Saddam has been engaged in the development of WMDs..." - Nancy Pelosi, 1998 (before Bush was Presisdent)

"there is no doubt that Saddam has reinvigorated his weapons programs" - Sen Bob Graham, D-FL, 2001

"Saddam...is building WMDs and the means of delivering them..." - Sen Carl Levin, D-MI, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons..." - Al Gore, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam is seeking and developing WMDs" - Ted Kennedy, 2002

"we are confident that Saddam retains some stockpiles of chemical and bioogical weapons..." - Sen Robert Byrd, 2002

"there is unmistakable evidence that Saddam is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons..." Sen Jay Rockefeller, D-WV, 2002

"it is clear that if left unchecked, Saddam will continue to increase his capacity of biological and chemical weapons" - Hilary Clinton, 2002

and finally...

"we are in posession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam has a developing capacity for the production of WMDs...the threat of Saddam Hussein with WMDs is real" - John Kerry, 2003

OK Spence, you tell me. Does it sound to you like these prominent Democrats were merely giving Bush the benefit of the doubt (unusual, since some of those quotes are from before Bush was elected). Or, does it sound to you, like it sounds to everyone else here, that these folks are personally convinced that there was a threat?

Your response will be a defining moment for you. I'm rooting for you to put down the Kool Aid, and simply admit that these Democrats believed at the time, that Saddam had (or was pursuing) WMDs.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #101
spence

Jim, nobody doubts Saddam at one time had WMD. Nobody doubts that Saddam wanted to have WMD.

But that's not to say that that thought if he did have it it was such a threat to justify war.

On that they certainly gave Bush the benefit of doubt.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #102
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, nobody doubts Saddam at one time had WMD. Nobody doubts that Saddam wanted to have WMD.

But that's not to say that that thought if he did have it it was such a threat to justify war.

On that they certainly gave Bush the benefit of doubt.
(1) Those Dems voted in favor of war. Therefore, how can I possibly be mistaken to assume that they thought the threat was serious enough to justify war?

(2) did you read any of the quotes in the link? Here are some relevent ones...

"if we have to use force, our purpose is clear...we want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's WMD program"- Bill Clinton

"we urge you to take necessary actions...including air and missile strikes...to respond to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its WMD program"- letter signed by John Kerry

"I will be voting to give the President the authority to use force to disarm Saddam, because I believe that a deadly arsenal of WMDs in his hands are a real and grave threat to our security".- John Kerry

OK, Spence. You're still going to say that the Dems didn't really feel that the use of force was justified, that they were just giving in to Bush's demands? That's what you infer from those quotes?

Come on, Spence.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #103
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
(1) Those Dems voted in favor of war. Therefore, how can I possibly be mistaken to assume that they thought the threat was serious enough to justify war?

(2) did you read any of the quotes in the link? Here are some relevent ones...

"if we have to use force, our purpose is clear...we want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's WMD program"- Bill Clinton

"we urge you to take necessary actions...including air and missile strikes...to respond to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its WMD program"- letter signed by John Kerry

"I will be voting to give the President the authority to use force to disarm Saddam, because I believe that a deadly arsenal of WMDs in his hands are a real and grave threat to our security".- John Kerry

OK, Spence. You're still going to say that the Dems didn't really feel that the use of force was justified, that they were just giving in to Bush's demands? That's what you infer from those quotes?

Come on, Spence.
The effects of loving a party more than a country.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #104
spence

Quote:
You can say that if you wish. But it's not what they said at the time. What they said at the time was, Saddam has WMDs and needs to be stopped. In this same thread, I supplied quotes from those very same Democrats. Read them. But I must warn you, you won't like it.
I've read all of them and provided valuable context years ago, use the search button.

So many quotes attributed to Dems are from 1998 when we were talking about airstrikes. The post 9/11 quotes are based off of the same misinformation campaign presented to the public to justify the actions. Many of them when you read the full transcript are also taken out of context.

Use the search button.

Quote:
Spence, if you have to ignore the actual facts and invent your own, doesn't that suggest that perhaps there is something flawed about what you believe?
Actually, I think my read on the situation is pretty nuts on.

Quote:
Spence, are you feeling all right today? If Powell was seeking COngressional approval, why didn't he simply address Congress? Why go all the way to New York, instead of walking across the street to the Capital Building? Who did Powell address at the UN - Congress?
No, it's called getting votes, this is how Congress works. You placate members of Congress who may be on the fence by telling them we're going to the UN and get a resolution, we're going to do this right etc...

Quote:
Iraq was not a unilateral situation, by the way. I worked with soldiers from many different countries.
I said nearly unilateral. The first Gulf war had a real coalition. The second was primarily a collaboration between the US and the UK who knew we didn't have a solid story. There were some other troops involved if I recally not substantial endorsements as they didn't have the public support.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #105
ecduzitgood
time to go

Spence "The UK knew we didn't have a solid story" where did this come from?
You mention going to the UN for resolutions, well how many should Saddam have violated before action was taken if 16 weren't enough?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #106
scottw

I just watched a Nov 26th clip from Morning Joe with Joe Klein who was on to provide the administration's talking points on Bengazi....it ends with an incredulous Joe Scarborough asking..."has the President invited you to play golf, because you are just gobbling up the talking points like a Thanksgiving Turkey"...what is sad is that they seem to find this all amusing...Spence's characterization that this is simply a contrived political attack by enemies(political) of Obama is not only inaccurate but completely dismissive of very serious issues not to mention the shameful way that anyone who has asks the questions has been characterized.... but that is the world that we live in currently....and for the next 4 years....

Time Magazine's Joe Klein Claims Susan Rice's Benghazi Talking Points 'Were Absolutely Accurate' | MRCTV

I watched the 27th as well where Scarborough asks aloud if Kelin was "on something" the day previous

Spence, you've more than earned a round of golf with the Prez.

Ecdu...you are just asking for more gobbling....

Last edited by scottw; 11-29-2012 at 07:33 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #107
scottw

anyone paying attention to Egypt?..the guy that we graciously helped raise his stature over there in negotiating a cease fire because he apparently speaks terrorist, has just assumed dictatorial powers(which I don't think the Administration has condemned to date) ...good thing that Muslim Brotherhood is "moderate".....Hamas is being rearmed by Iran and I guess Israel is just waiting for the next attack....very "productive"

hey, this is a lot like the fiscal cliff negotiations, the Pres. and Sente assume more power, more money gets dumped on the problem and the Republicans sit around waiting for the next attack...nothing gets solved you just delay the inevitable...which will be really ugly

here's a question regarding Rice and Bengazi...noone seems to be sure why she was chosen to deliver the administration talking points on Bengazi as it's claimed she had little knowledge beyond what was written for her...is it possible that she was chosen specifically because she is black and a woman and any criticism could be easily dismissed as racist and sexist attacks?...as was and is being done....

Last edited by scottw; 11-29-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #108
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
here's a question regarding Rice and Bengazi...noone seems to be sure why she was chosen to deliver the administration talking points on Bengazi as it's claimed she had little knowledge beyond what was written for her...is it possible that she was chosen specifically because she is black and a woman and any criticism could be easily dismissed as racist and sexist attacks?...as was and is being done....
That's my thinking too. Going on the Sunday morning talk shows and spreading cockamamie about an attack, is not something the ambassador to the UN usually does. So either it was to give the administration a reason to use the race card against anyone who dares to ask a question, or she is the only one who was willing to say it was because of the video, which everyone knew was false by that time.

It's very unlikely she'll be the next SecState. Even moderate Lindsay Graham (who voted to confirm Sonia Sotomayor) sald after meeting with Rice, he was more disturbed than before he met her. And he's not anyone's idea of a right-wing attack dog.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #109
scottw

great article on Rice this morning in the WSJ...

Bayefsky and Mukasey: The Susan Rice Troubles Beyond Benghazi - WSJ.com

points out that the president demanded of his and Rice's critics , U.S. leaders not "shoot first and aim later" but rather "make sure that the statements that you make are backed up by the facts."

but of course, he has a much lower standard for his supporters and appointees which is disturbingly common for this president on most issues...like...civility.....

"The president has said that Ms. Rice should not be criticized because she "had nothing to do with Benghazi" and so couldn't have known better when she gave her false account. According to Mr. Obama (and to her), she simply repeated talking points provided by an amorphous and anonymous "intelligence community."

But Ms. Rice did know at least a couple of things. She knew that she had nothing to do with Benghazi. She knew that after the attack the president insisted that U.S. leaders not "shoot first and aim later" but rather "make sure that the statements that you make are backed up by the facts." She knew that the video story line was questionable, as Sen. Dianne Feinstein (chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence) and administration officials had already suggested publicly that the attack was al Qaeda-related. And she knew that the president had a political interest in asserting that al Qaeda wasn't successfully attacking senior American officials but was instead "on the run," as he maintained on the campaign trail.

Senators might therefore ask Ms. Rice why she was put forward to speak about Benghazi, and what part her personal ambition might have played in her willingness to assume the role known during the Cold War as "useful idiot." "
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #110
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
her willingness to assume the role known during the Cold War as "useful idiot." "
There's no shortage of useful idiots in this administration.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #111
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
She has withdrawn!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #112
striperman36
Old Guy

Horseface is a shoe in then