Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #91
Raven

Arrow started flat-lining again

then i broke that cycle

hit the 261 mark... finally

can't wait to see the 50's again.....

portion control and eating out of the garden helps allot

ate 3 bowls of salad the other night til i was stuffed

next day i thought this won't be good and i
had lost more weight regardless.....

too much salt and every single cell is "water logged and slushy"
but with sufficient potassium from apples and every cell
is a lean mean fighting machine ....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #92
Nebe

I'm down 30 lbs. 😁
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #93
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

Wink

Just thought I would take peek in to see what was going on.

Nice job Raven and Nebe!

Just did my first sprint triathlon, not bad for a fat old Irish guy.

Would have never thought this would be possible if it wasn't for starting the portly angler a few years back.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #94
Raven

I've been learning allot about protein and how it is burned in the body as compared to carbohydrates , protein being three times stronger a burn so it's a much better fuel. That and the specific timing of when to have it for maximum effect with many of the refined sugar foods and empty carbs being phased out....
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #95
Adam_777

It is good to see you guys working on losing that gut.It is really bad for your health.It is also not as easy to lose as it used to be.I was in one of the PA challenges.I didn't win but I sure as hell lost a ton of weight.I went all in.Anyway I have been doing "Insanity" on and off for the better part of the year.That routine is brutal.Not recommended for anyone who doesn't enjoy pain for extended periods of time.The same dude that does Insanity just came out with a new workout in July named T25.It is 25 minutes of working out followed by 2-3 minutes of stretching.It is a nice workout and has a modified version for people with bad knees or can't jump.I do dread a little doing it but knowing it is only 25 minutes is a big help.Anyone on the fence about losing a few and doesn't want to go to a gym this works great.Not trying to sell this workout to anyone.Just saying it works well for me.Just have to stick with it,eat right and work through the little aches and pains.25 minutes a day is nothing.Most of us have tripled that just reading posts on this site.Anyway stick with it guys.Keep pushing.I am 5'11 180 ish pounds and gaining.I was able to stop taking 1 blood pressure pill and half of another.So I take half of one water pill a day to keep my BP in check.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #96
Nebe

Down 35 pounds and feel 20 years younger.
15 more to go.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #97
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
15 more to go.
Good going! 😃
Went thru it myself, keep the good work up 👍
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #98
iamskippy

Whens the 2014 one starting?
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #99
Nebe

In 2014
Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #100
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
15 more to go.
Congrats! Keep it going.

I did an excellent job not imposing the daddy tax on the kids Halloween candy this year. I didn't even have one piece which is a first for my sweet tooth.

Last edited by jredfly; 11-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: edit

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #101
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Smile

down 20 lbs since July.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #102
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post
down 20 lbs since July.
Awesome. !!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #103
Slingah

Is anyone up for this again in 2014?
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #104
Jenn

Not sure I am up for the "official" sign up with all that pressure (though its probably what I need motivation wise) BUT...lets just say someone has in the last 3-4 months gained back 15 of the 25 she lost.

Did not see much/any interest in a 2014 round ...So how about a thread for moral support but nothing "official" with entries and prizes? Maybe take it to a different level where we swap healthy smoothie recipes and weight loss tips? Something more of a "lets help each other" kind of thing as apposed to a contest? Good idea, bad idea?

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #105
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I am up for one but we have to simplify it. I don't have the spare time to properly run one at the moment

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #106
Sea Dangles

I started trying to be better about what I eat in mid-November because I told my friend he looked fat and he asked if I owned a mirror. It started with me swearing off ice cream (sorry ben n jerry) and potato chips. After my evening dog walk which always included a bowl of diesel I would eat a pint or a bag or both. This is after the kids are in bed but I know they are not stupid. I weighed 246 at the time and felt like crap so I started using the health membership I have had for the last 15 years. I would do the eliptical for 30 minutes or run 3 miles at a slow (30 min)pace.
Last week I saw 229 and although I am not Sochi ready,I feel a lot better. I am thinking I may expand my workouts to include weights,which I have never done in my 49 years.I just got a pair of 38" pants which I haven't seen in years. I still cheat on occasion and I am having a hard time with the next step which is cutting down on the pot.Although it is only a few hits a day, it has become a habit that is hard to break.For the first time in a LONG time I am without a bag and find myself thinking of a reason to get one. I don't really have a goal other than to feel good but so far it is working.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #107
Nebe

I'm not a pot smoker, but if you stop smoking, I'm sure that you will find yourself replacing it with another habit. If I were you, I stop drinking beer and keep on toking.
Congrats on loosing what you have lost! It's a hard battle.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #108
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I started trying to be better about what I eat in mid-November because I told my friend he looked fat and he asked if I owned a mirror. It started with me swearing off ice cream (sorry ben n jerry) and potato chips. After my evening dog walk which always included a bowl of diesel I would eat a pint or a bag or both. This is after the kids are in bed but I know they are not stupid. I weighed 246 at the time and felt like crap so I started using the health membership I have had for the last 15 years. I would do the eliptical for 30 minutes or run 3 miles at a slow (30 min)pace.
Last week I saw 229 and although I am not Sochi ready,I feel a lot better. I am thinking I may expand my workouts to include weights,which I have never done in my 49 years.I just got a pair of 38" pants which I haven't seen in years. I still cheat on occasion and I am having a hard time with the next step which is cutting down on the pot.Although it is only a few hits a day, it has become a habit that is hard to break.For the first time in a LONG time I am without a bag and find myself thinking of a reason to get one. I don't really have a goal other than to feel good but so far it is working.
congrats,,, love hearing these stories,,, hit the weights also, you'll be in 36" in no time
good luck
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #109
Sea Dangles

I really like beer and would much rather have something I enjoy than the gay Bud Platinums my friends drink. Beer isn't really bad for you although it is heavy on calories. If used in moderation,which is 95% of the time,it won't be a problem. I had a nice shed IPA with dinner last night and it really hit the spot.I can honestly take it or leave it at this point but the dubage can become consuming whether mentally or physically.I am really not trying to eliminate it,just cut down and not always have it around to tempt me.Playing disc golf a few times a week in addition to ice fishing a few times a week give me too many opportunities to light up.Dare say it;I may even consider a job! Just got back from the gym and an hour on the eliptical burned 775 calories that a corned beef added to my bikini body last night.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #110
bassballer

Seadangles. Nothing wrong with a little toking if you can control the eating. Start lifting weights!!! Functional movements. Deadlifts, Kettlebell swings, squats, push ups, pull ups. You sustain more of a calorie burn longer by strenght training. Mix in some high intensity cardio instead of the 30 min low int. If unsure on movents do some you tubing for instruction. Give it 8 weeks and i think youll be shocked on the results. Losing fat is awesome, and adding some functional muscle is even better.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #111
Sea Dangles

In three months I am now running 3 miles in under 27 minutes.That is not low intensity for a 49 year old fat guy!I get my heart rate up to 150 and end up looking like I just hopped in the pool.I feel great,especially considering my hip is barely 2 years old.Not trying to stop smoking,just slow it down,after 30 something years of blazing I kind of have that figured out.I think some pushups and squats sound like a good idea,maybe I'll even try the rowing thing that I put my coat on.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #112
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Thumbs up

Good Stuff Chris, especially with the hip only 2 years. With all that running make sure you stretch and do some sort of strength training so all those other accessory muscles get a chance to develop as well.

Body weight movements will be good until you decide to throw some weights around etc. push-ups start 3 sets of 15 increase (+5 weekly) 3 days a week, sit-ups 20 (+5 weekly) 3 days a week, air squats, pullups, wall walks etc . With all that running you have to keep your posterior chain strong or your hip will pay, squats are your friend. Foam roller, foam roll the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of your IT band.

For some strength stuff look into: Starting Strength, and Jim Wendler's 5,3,1 both excellent programs. With 5,3,1 you will find it is SLOW but you're constantly making new gains you'll be able to run on that program for quite a while. By the time you're done/bored with 5,3,1 you'll already have a clear decision as to what your next move with strength will be.

I was the same way I'd never touched a barbell in 33 years and when I wanted to exercise I did'nt really know how, good coaching goes a long way and good luck!

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #113
bassballer

TT started the 5-3-1 last month. So far Im digging it. Ive had trouble keeping muscle on while leaning down and the 531 has helped with that.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #114
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Take a look at the black iron beast calculator, you can enter what you have for plates etc and it makes it super simple for you. It also has an off season for mass program that you may find helpful.

I find that printing out week 1-4 makes it a no brainer, the print outs help me because on 5+ day I note what my + ended up being. Its super helpful, I will say I've added 40# to my front squat following it.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 AM   #115
Raven

Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Not sure I am up for the "official" sign up with all that pressure (though its probably what I need motivation wise) BUT...lets just say someone has in the last 3-4 months gained back 15 of the 25 she lost.

Did not see much/any interest in a 2014 round ...So how about a thread for moral support but nothing "official" with entries and prizes? Maybe take it to a different level where we swap healthy smoothie recipes and weight loss tips? Something more of a "lets help each other" kind of thing as apposed to a contest? Good idea, bad idea?
Watching sugar content in stuff
Is the most critical thing

bought some raw fit
"high protein for weight loss" burns fat -satisfies hunger-
fights cravings ect made by garden of life
freakin amazing how well it works

a word of caution or wisdom tho
as i read recently
don't be jumpin on the scale so often that you get depressed
when your weight is flat lining/ staying the same

better to keep making subtle changes to your diet
eliminate the starches that break down so slow

forget about desert for many moons

i have lost ten in the last two weeks they were the tough ten too

the amount of Sugar that is SNUCK into our food supply is appalling
same as water injected into meat to get it to weigh more.....
take your reading glasses with you when you shop
because LABEL reading is a MUST

if you begin an exercise regiment such as walking
and you gain muscle mass from doing so....
you'll weigh more at first as you get into shape

then later feeling more fit... with a better physique
you'll start to BURN off your stored fat.... from chips and other junk food

Last edited by Raven; 07-28-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #116
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quit drinking (only drink wine 1 days a week anyway.)
Went on the NutraSystem diet on Feb 8th. As of Friday I was down 32#.

That's the upside. The downside is I really miss my one day a week of wine and grilled food. I am going to do some salmon on the grill today with grilled Summer Squash and Asparagus and a bottle of a good Hess Cab.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #117
Raven

My wife keeps reducing our sugar consumption by altering all the recipes.
for example Banana bread now gets 1/4 cup of sugar instead of a full cup.
For apple and cinnamon pies and Tarts we use the "FUJI apples" that are
naturally sweet that almost taste like pears so we use ZERO Sugar and it tastes excellent.
For anything sweet we make sure to measure it..... especially coffee creamer .
Old 04-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #118
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Good advise.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #119
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Quit drinking (only drink wine 1 days a week anyway.)
Went on the NutraSystem diet on Feb 8th. As of Friday I was down 32#.

That's the upside. The downside is I really miss my one day a week of wine and grilled food. I am going to do some salmon on the grill today with grilled Summer Squash and Asparagus and a bottle of a good Hess Cab.
What time should I be there? 😄

Congrats
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #120
Raven

another thing we have done
to ENSURE we are no longer sugar-aholics
is to make our OWN yogurt
so easy to do - with the thermometer

makes seven cups in 8 hours, with nice screw cap jars
pop-em in the fridge and we just stir in some chopped fruit
from the bullet ..........zero additives....

the 7th cup...is saved... we stir into the next batch of no. 2 milk
after the thermometer reads on the green line
flip the switch - all done.