Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
WoodyCT

Slipknot, Ecduzit, Raven- Misunderstanding

In a recent thread about Plug Fest I referred to no one else's work but my own when stating that 'bondo, an airbrush and elbow grease' beat out other lures.

My bondo, airbrush and elbow grease job won a category that contained plugs masterfully crafted from scratch. I do not feel that it should have.

I apologize to all for being vague and causing a misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Jon
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I see
no problem here
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

IIRC, then that was one helluva bondo job

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

fix my fender ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Red face Thin skinned

Perhaps I am a little to thin skinned. I think part of my sensitivity is derived from comments I have seen about 'boutique plugs' or plugs that have a little more attention/effort put into their appearance.
We all know them and many of us have said them for instance "fancy paint jobs catch fishermen not fish" or "might look great but I'll bet it swims like a turd" and how about this "it's not the paint it's the action". What purpose do comments like these serve?
I do agree the action is a very important factor and should be considered....but haven't you ever had a plug hit while not moving at all ? And I am not refering to tossing the plug into a group of thrashing fish, a plug that is just sitting there while you fiddle with a birdsnest. I have and it came out of no where, not a fish to be seen or heard.
I'm not going to go off on a long winded story here but I read the post http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...-question.html and took it personally. It did not occure to me that it was just ribbing between buddies. It did not help that I had just started dealing with not smoking and was a little edgie, well actually alot. I watched the thread for a little while and not seeing anyone take issue with the comments decided to pick up my crayons and leave the room. I have read the threads over and now realize that I was being an ass or at best a child. I would still like to see people ease up on the opinion that appearance/paint is not a factor; if we knew exactly what works then why bother trying to improve or experiment with other methods. I apologize for causing any grief because I hold the people here especially the builders in the highest regaurd.
Ed
P.S. WoodyCt, I felt guilty myself and still do because I also did not feel worthy after seeing the plugs that were there so please accept my sincerest apology for creating this friction.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
WoodyCT

No worries

As I said, I feel partly to blame for not simply stating my embarassment over winning a plack for a paint job when true art like Paul's Bass Aqua were on the same table.

Don't be so hard on yourself- I do that and I make myself downright miserable.

Apology accepted with cheer,
Jon
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Don't feel bad for Paul. The baztard didn't give that plug to me.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Ed ,, wasn't your plug the one with the magnet hook holder ? ,, frigging genius .. Unless I missed it ,I didn't see anything derogetory toward anyone ,, just hashing things out ,,.. Action is overated .. sometimes I think a little less action is more realistic.. I'm mainly a needle fisher ,, closes thing to chunking ..

I got that plug Numby ,, sorry ,,,, not

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
WoodyCT

Action

Definitely over rated at times.

Injured or retarded fish swim all wild and crazy, but the other 99.9% just flick their tails and glide along.

One of my very favorites is a plastic swimmer with the lip removed just fished like a needle with an occasional twitch. Or just let it stem in the current of an outflow...

That belly magnet is genius!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
Definitely over rated at times.

Injured or retarded fish swim all wild and crazy, but the other 99.9% just flick their tails and glide along.

One of my very favorites is a plastic swimmer with the lip removed just fished like a needle with an occasional twitch. Or just let it stem in the current of an outflow...

That belly magnet is genius!
It's those injured fish that make an easy meal.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
ecduzitgood
time to go

Thanks guys but I'm still not sure about the magnet. It did make a difference as far as hook pointers but I might have dropped a few more fish than I would with a plug that has no magnet. I hope to get the chance to fool with some building again in the near future.

Also the guy that said to me wouldn't a rubber band accomplish the same thing is in my book a genius, I mean really I never thought of that. I'm just the kinda guy that will climb over a fence and land on the other side and then see someone open the unlocked gate and stroll right through.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 01-08-2010 at 11:36 AM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote