Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

H-Bomb

5.8-6.2 mag quake at NORK nuke site. Building ins China and Russia shaking.

Worst case scenario:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...-in-emp-strike

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
spence

What are you worried about they can't hit Boston.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Well, if they could put that on their HS14 they could hit Boston, and NY (and NWC NPT).

Norks have been successful with a lot of their tests lately.

Out on the edge of possible - hence the worst case scenario -is the EMP.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Even more disturbing is seeing how far he has gone without either Russia or China taking a stand. Unless one of them is in bed with him.... One would think that Putin values his vast bank account more than any trust or alliance with Kim. And I am a little surprised that China's US educated president hasn't minimized Kim's risk to his country's growth position in the world economy. Both of those leaders have much more to lose than Kim does if he lights off a live one.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
how are things in Canada?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
DZ

Who says you have to launch it from NK? Possibilities are endless for NK to farm it out to other bad actors. Hell, it could be possible to place it on a Merchant ship bound for a US port. Something that big doesn't even need to be detonated close - just downwind toward the US. A terrorists dream. This guy needs to be taken out.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Who says you have to launch it from NK? Possibilities are endless for NK to farm it out to other bad actors. Hell, it could be possible to place it on a Merchant ship bound for a US port. Something that big doesn't even need to be detonated close - just downwind toward the US. A terrorists dream. This guy needs to be taken out.

Thats pure fear mongering there is no intel about a 1st strike weapon ,, your SCENARIO applies more to Pakistan
Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Nebe

Trump doesn't have the balls to actually get militarily involved here. He will talk this up and push things to the brink but it's all talk. It reminds me of Obamas red line in the sand regarding Syria
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
Nebe

And if he did get us involved, we will be looking at WWIII.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
DZ

Looks like we will be potentially cutting off all trade with any country that supports NK - China. Will isolating China work since they have financed most of our debt?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Looks like we will be potentially cutting off all trade with any country that supports NK - China. Will isolating China work since they have financed most of our debt?
It would shutdown the global economy.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
JohnR

Quote:
They are known for sharing much of their nuke tech with Iran. Gee, almost wonder who could be financing this. In an unrelated note, glad Obama stopped Iran's nuke problem and didn't give them any money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Trump doesn't have the balls to actually get militarily involved here. He will talk this up and push things to the brink but it's all talk. It reminds me of Obamas red line in the sand regarding Syria
I am not sure about this.

Quote:
It would shutdown the global economy.
Yes. And the fraying ends of global peace with it maybe.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
They are known for sharing much of their nuke tech with Iran. Gee, almost wonder who could be financing this. In an unrelated note, glad Obama stopped Iran's nuke problem and didn't give them any money.

I am not sure about this.

Yes. And the fraying ends of global peace with it maybe.
And with the fraying of global peace.... you have...... wait forrrrrrr it...........wait forrrrrrrrrrr it...........

WW3
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Fishpart
Keep The Change

We could simply return to the way we handled Kim for the previous 8 years. Send him some Uranium and Physics books and tell him to go play in his room... How'd that work out for us?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
We could simply return to the way we handled Kim for the previous 8 years. Send him some Uranium and Physics books and tell him to go play in his room... How'd that work out for us?
Unless you wanted to invade and have Seoul leveled by howitzers I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do.

It will be interesting to see how China's position evolves on this. There's concern growing that the mountain they've been detonating all these bombs under could collapse and start spreading radiation into China...this wouldn't be good.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:

Unless you wanted to invade and have Seoul leveled by howitzers I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do.

well...he did lower the ocean levels and kill Bin Laden...also handled the Russians, Syrians and Iranians "brilliantly"....so NK should have been a lay up....maybe a cup o' tea with the dictator or something
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
well...he did lower the ocean levels and kill Bin Laden...also handled the Russians, Syrians and Iranians "brilliantly"....so NK should have been a lay up....maybe a cup o' tea with the dictator or something
Brilliant. I am curious to see what response you get from the Obama apologists...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Brilliant. I am curious to see what response you get from the Obama apologists...
I heard he was on Facebook attacking Trump...which is pretty funny if you think about it....maybe Obama will fly to Florida, hold up his arms and divert the hurricane
Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
As opposed to the Trump apologists who claim NK is Obama's fault but give Trump credit from day 1 for the economy? Maybe Trump should have worked on NK earlier and it would have all been solved?

Hypocrites?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how China's position evolves on this. There's concern growing that the mountain they've been detonating all these bombs under could collapse and start spreading radiation into China...this wouldn't be good.
"I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do. "

I "expected" Obama to do exactly what he did, i.e., zip. I "hoped" he would do what the world knows needs to be done, which is to get China to reign that maniac in.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
wdmso

Quote:
"I'm not sure what you expected Obama to do. "

I "expected" Obama to do exactly what he did, i.e., zip. I "hoped" he would do what the world knows needs to be done, which is to get China to reign that maniac in.

This is the issue you see North Korea as solely an American issue same with the Iran Deal but again those are not the Facts

the US has not acted unilaterally they acted with the WORLD in both of theses issues

But the rights Base are clueless and think thats whats happen under Obama he acted unilaterally and now kim has the bomb in 8 years
the truth is they were making the bomb well before Obama but again Plz dont let facts get in the way

1st test October 9, 2006, then may 2009 then feb 2013 Jan 2016 September 2016 ,September 2017
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
This is the issue you see North Korea as solely an American issue same with the Iran Deal but again those are not the Facts

the US has not acted unilaterally they acted with the WORLD in both of theses issues

But the rights Base are clueless and think thats whats happen under Obama he acted unilaterally and now kim has the bomb in 8 years
the truth is they were making the bomb well before Obama but again Plz dont let facts get in the way

1st test October 9, 2006, then may 2009 then feb 2013 Jan 2016 September 2016 ,September 2017
I don't see this as a us only issue at all. Once again, you are responding to something that no one has said. Obama was supposed to be the guy, unlike bush, who could get other countries to help us, by being nicer to them. Did the world line up to help obama with NK?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Paul, here's my issue with the left's treatment of Trump.

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.

If I was a lefty political consultant, i would be telling the DNC to spread the message that despite controlling everything, the GOP can't get a damn thing done. That's a very fair criticism (it ticks me off to no end), and it could hurt the GOP in 2018. Instead, the democrats are devoting all their time to making Trump out to be Darth Vader. Maybe it will work. We'll see.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Nebe

Quote:

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.

If I was a lefty political consultant, i would be telling the DNC to spread the message that despite controlling everything, the GOP can't get a damn thing done. That's a very fair criticism (it ticks me off to no end), and it could hurt the GOP in 2018. Instead, the democrats are devoting all their time to making Trump out to be Darth Vader. Maybe it will work. We'll see.
You could have just said... "but Obama..."
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
You could have just said... "but Obama..."
Here's the thing...if I am going to try and explain why I feel there is a double-standard, I kind of have to refer to the POTUS who I claim got preferential treatment.

How else would one go about demonstrating a double standard, then by comparing the way the 2 have been treated? Can you tell me how you'd do it?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #26
PaulS

Quote:

For 8 years, the left claimed that it was no big deal that Obama was admittedly close to two loathsome racists - Rev Wright, and Rev Sharpton. As despicable as Sharpton was (Brawley/Pagones - can name them off the top of my head) I don't view him the same as Nazis or KKK.

But now, the left is telling me it's a huge deal that Trump associated himself with Steve Bannon. I view some of his ideas as repugnant so just as you viewed Sharpton that way, others view Bannon that way. And I guess it's a bad sign that Trump doesn't wake up every morning and have a press conference that he doesn't start off by saying "I don't like Hitler".

My dog could spot the glaring double standard, and he's not an overly bright dog.It's not a double standard it is the other side of the coin.

Does the right engage in that kind of hypocrisy? Of course, that's politics. But not to the same degree. BS - it is the same.Lots of conservatives criticize Trump when he deserves it. Not many liberals dared to criticize Obama. It's not the same thing.TThe diff. is Trump isn't conservative - at this point he is clay and can be molded by the last person who talks to him bf he tweets.
NM
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
NM
Yes it is a double standard. Almost no one on the left cared about rev wright or sharpton, but those same people cannot stand that a potus would associate with Steve Bannon. Textbook double standard.

Sharpton incited violence that led directly to white Americans being murdered. I don't know that Steve bannon has blood directly on his hands.

I agree that nazis and the klan are worse. But fortunately for you, trump has given you zero compelling reason to suspect he sympathizes with them.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #28
Nebe

2 wrongs have never made a right.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
JohnR

Quote:
2 wrongs have never made a right.
But BU5H!tler

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #30
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
But BU5H!tler
Yeah. Exactly.