Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Hooper
Southsider

On The Water TV 3/8

Did anyone see today's OTW TV episode where they were fishing for bluefins east of Chatham? I wanted to see if I was off on this or not, there wasn't a single mention of being safe out there and what that means.

1.) They're running across the Sound in the dark with no radar
2.) They're fishing in active shipping lanes with 100'-400' (their estimate) visibility with no radar.
3.) No mention of an EPIRB or liferaft on board
4.) They were encouraging everyone to just "get out here and try this"

Not everyone should be 30 miles off Chatham in small boats in the fog, sorry. Clueless people inshore are bad enough.

Like the Noman's shows, there isn't a single moment devoted to being safe out there. Container ships run 20 kts and they don't give a $%^& about tuna fisherman. EPIRB's and rafts are mandated for commercial fisherman, who I gues know a lot more about being safe offshore than your average weekend warrior. I had my 23 SeaCraft for several years before venturing off Chatham for tuna and it wasn't until I bought a EPIRB and a raft, without them it seemed foolish.

Is it just me, or should OTW take a moment to explain some of the hazards and caution people to fish with someone who knows the drill for awhile before going it alone? Guess ACR EPIRB and Furuno radar need to become OTW sponsors before that happens.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote