Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
animal

First trip to Stellwagen

ADVERTISE HERE
Well we finally got the boat out to Stellwagen on Saturday.We ended up going 0 for 2.The first fish was a behemoth,we saw it smash our live pogie on top,about 50 feet from the transom.It looked to be about 9 feet long.
We were fishing my 130,and a pair of 80's,unfortunately,this was the very first time I've fished the 130,and like a dope(I hesitate to admit this on a public forum,it's pretty bad)I had no crimps for the 200 # mono it's packing.The drag at strike was set for 48/49 pounds.Since I had no crimps, I tied a beautiful 7 turn uni knot at the swivel to the 200 # leader.As soon as we dropped the pogies back,my fishing partner dropped a jig to the bottom to see what we could find there,and was jigging,while I was rigging an 80 to get a third pogie out.Well he gets hit on the jig,we were thinking cod/pollock/haddock,so I grab a gaff,and I'm standing next to him as he brings it up,when we hear something,we look over and the 130(in a swivel rodholder)is going hard right.It comes tight,I think we heard a pop,and it goes limp,then we see the fish break on top,it's immense.I run over,grab the crank,and start reeling like a madman,in case he's still attached,because he was swimming right at the second pogie,Vinnie goes to the other rod,mind you he's still got a jigging rod,with a fish on, in his right hand,and tries to back off the drag on the 80 a bit,it was literally seconds since we just dropped a monster,and we were a little shellshocked.Unfortunately,using his left hand,he went a little far with the drag lever,into freespool,and you guessed it,the fish picks up the bait,right then.He didn't birdsnest it,but he fluffed it up a little,as Vin got the reel back in gear,zzzzzzzzzz,the rod headed West in the swivel,then just came off.I took the jigging rod,and it was Vin's turn to reel like a madman,but noone was home.Since we got the leader back on that one,I had another pogie out in seconds,but they(it?)were gone.Upon reeling the jig up,we were delighted to find a big dogfish.
We found no more joy yesterday,though we did troll around a few pods of breaking tuna later in the day.
The first fish was definately well over 73,I guess we'll never know if the second hit was the same fish,or not.I guess a lot of people would be pretty disgusted with the results of our trip,but we learned some valuable lessons.We did manage to land a fish on the 130 yesterday,a 32 pound bass.We ended up with 3 stripers(released)and a doggie,and some knowledge.We'll be back next weekend,if not this week,looking for some payback.
As an aside,I'll say this,we trolled for 3-4 hours in the am,with bars,chains,birds and green machines,and came up with 3 bass.As soon as we left the fleet,and dropped over the livies,the tuna were on them in about 3 minutes.
You may now feel free to ridicule us in any way you feel is appropriate.
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Anytime you learn something that will better your angling skills it is a successful trip. Dont measure success by fish landed.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
Dont measure success by fish landed.
Ok Travis.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
saltyric

Good showing! I have made about 6 trips to the bank this year with zero hook-ups! We had them "busting" in the spread friday, but couln't BUY a bite.......

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Moses

I fished out in that area too saturday. We fished more over to Peaked Hill. Had 3 knockdowns but no tuna. Started the troll at 445am and end around 1030am. Saw a couple single fish pushing water/chasing something but no group feedings. Did see quite a few boats in that area fishing live pogies via balloons and kites. And saw 2 boats hook up during that time frame.

Started jigging just w/i the three mile limit and were bringing up 38-42" bass. Just massive amounts of sand eels out there.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

great story. sorry for your loss.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Travis

Nice job Animal...Matt is right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Ok Travis.
...and Steve, you're a buffoon. Some day I will get a "Look At Me" boat (AKA"The Wizard II")and become an internet-hero-tuna-star without paying my dues like you and your boy...

Go back to trollin...

Last edited by Travis; 07-13-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Nice job Animal...Matt is right..

...and Steve, you're a buffoon. Some day I will get a "Look At Me" boat (AKA"The Wizard II")and become an internet-hero-tuna-star without paying my dues like you and your boy...

Go back to trollin...
Maybe you will..... How much more do I have to pay?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Ok Travis.

Steve,
Not for nothing , but this crap is uncalled for !!!
How many trips did you start out with with no success till Matt started helping you out and teaching you

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Not quoting any particular post, but play nice boys...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Steve,
Not for nothing , but this crap is uncalled for !!!
How many trips did you start out with with no success till Matt started helping you out and teaching you
It's all good Ron, We're all buddies and just like bustin once in a while.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
clambo

Thumbs up Animal

Well said Matt. We all make mistakes! I even thought Steve was a black guy when we went to the tuna hearing in the spring! I didn't know the picture was Obama. Mike
clambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
buckman

[QUOTE=clambo;700841]Well said Matt. We all make mistakes! I even thought Steve was a black guy when we went to the tuna hearing in the spring! I didn't know the picture was Obama. Mike[/QUOTE

That's funny
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
Well said Matt. We all make mistakes! I even thought Steve was a black guy when we went to the tuna hearing in the spring! I didn't know the picture was Obama. Mike
I remember that. Laughed my ass off.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
animal

Hey thanks for the replies,guys.Also for not trashing me for being a dope.Looks like we'll be back on Sunday.Refreshed,replenished,a little better educated,and outfitted with another Crowder,sporting a VSX.
PS,if anyone needs some crimps,I believe I can accomodate you,as I now have enough of every size,to build an aluminum boat.
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
clambo

Hey Matt give me a call .Sometime i'd like to fish with you. Chris has my number. Mike
clambo is online now   Reply With Quote