Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

8/20-8/21

Not exactly sure where yet...waiting for final temp chart and roff report.
Probably veach or Atlantis but still not sure. Since we are not leaving till noon I think I might actually be fishing most of the night instead of napping.

update upon return
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Good luck!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Good luck and catch em up.
I can't wait to return to the blue water

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
MakoMike

Good luck, I'm jealous!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Just got back from Atlantis. It was a slow trip with really no hot action but we slooowly picked away at fish one at a time and managed to scratch out a decent trip. Ended up with 4 mahi, 2 longfin albacore, 1 yellowfin and we got a white marlin about 60# which made the trip. We lost a wahoo that bit thru the mono leader behind the boat a ways but I could see the fish and the bite was clean. But there were a lot of hours of idle time. A long liner set his line within 100 yards of us at 2:00am…there was no other boat around for 30 miles and he set right next to us, I could not believe it. We had swordfish baits out and were chunking butter fish.. We reeled in everything and started to move…then he finally left. Weird. No radio contact. Nice night out there though with the full moon. Always a fun trip with these guys.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Sounds like a good trip, even with the full moon which seems to slam the door shut up here for a few days.
I'mThinking of making the run in my boat labor day weekend, weather depending.
I figure 125 mile run until I start trolling. with 55 extra on deck I'll be back home. worst case fill up south of the canal on the way back.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Sounds like a good trip, even with the full moon which seems to slam the door shut up here for a few days.
I figure 125 mile run until I start trolling. with 55 extra on deck I'll be back home. worst case fill up south of the canal on the way back.
Nope...

Dump it in as soon as you can.. weather can always turn sloppy... don't wait!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Mr. Sandman

what RIROCKHOUND said...as soon as you are down enough to hold whats on deck, unload it and store the containers.
Not a huge fan of bladders for gas. Diesel is probably OK but you can not move a bladder and if you leak you're screwed. (and they have leaked) The 17 gal hard plastic containers (the 15's hold just about 17) are rugged and you can move them. Also they have a slick 8gpm hand pump that moves a lot of fuel in a hurry with no drips. The disadvantage is storage, you need space to put them when they are empty. (http://flofast.com/) I know guys that who tried this and sold their bladder once using this. Luckily I hold enough in my boat for a single engine set up where I don't need them for a weekends fishing and I don't like the idea of messing with fuel out on the water but if I did, this is what I would use, and if I had gas, this is for sure what I would use. You can actually use this when it is pretty sloppy out and not end up with issues that keep you up at night. If you are going to use a 55 gal steel drum, check out their pump for that ap.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 08-22-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
JackK
Not Jack

Judging from the pics I just saw of a buddy's trip (landed yesterday), it's quite good out there... Wish I could find a way to make it! Go now!
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Any issues with diesel in a plastic 55 gallon car wash drum, and rotary hand pump?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Give a heads up when you hit the ditch,,, we'll lower some sandwich's down from a bridge

Have great trip,, be safe
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Any issues with diesel in a plastic 55 gallon car wash drum, and rotary hand pump?
If you think it is rugged and you can strap it down good (you don't want it falling over and rolling around). The hand rotary pump works well as long as it is designed on pump fuel. Given that it should work out ok. Think about placement of the drum, it will effect performance of the boat on the way out...another reason to unload it asap and get that weight down low in the boats own fuel tanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

yes it's a rugged drum and the pump I bought specifically from harbor freight as a diesel transfer pump.
I use a pastic 55 gallon barrel as my livewell on the port side so the weight on one side is familiar also.