Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Cool Beans

Hit the water after work

Took the yak out for a few hours, mainly to test the new mount for the trolling motor after all my fiberglass work with the outrigger pontoons.

It worked perfectly! pushed my 285# butt around the water nicely 35# min kota 5 speed motor on #3 is just right for tube and worm. Adding the forward rod holders made it so much easier as well, even paddling I don't hit the rods with the paddle.

And I caught a little 46" 22# bonus prize.

Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Fly Rod

congratulations on the fish....Kayak looks great...

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
46 inches only 22 pounds ???
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
46 inches only 22 pounds ???
my digital scale from walmart may be busted.... It felt alot heavier to me but the scale said 22.4 pounds. heres a better picture of the fish. My daughter took the first from her phone at 50 yrds away.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
ronfish

Congratulations on a good fish. On another note- you do realize that now that you have a trolling motor mounted on your yak you'll have to register it with DEM just like any other motor boat. Just thought I'd mention it as DEM can make things difficult if you aren't legal.
Ron
ronfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfish View Post
Congratulations on a good fish. On another note- you do realize that now that you have a trolling motor mounted on your yak you'll have to register it with DEM just like any other motor boat. Just thought I'd mention it as DEM can make things difficult if you aren't legal.
Ron
Thanks, I will definitely look into that. If its gotta be registered, I'll return the Min Kota to Walmart and get more exersize.

Any ideas on what that would cost? Since I am running a modified Job Lot yak that may not last more than a few years, it seems like it will not be worth it.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

As long as it doesn't last you can relocate some of that equipment to another in the Mosquito Fleet. WHat are you using for a battery?

(Think USS Bonefish)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
peterpanwkfd

The out riggers look awesome. Did they really help with you stability when bringing that fish to the yak? I had a good conversation with a gentlemen the other day that had a fully decked out hobie with the mirage drive system. If I only had a few G's to drop on one... lol
peterpanwkfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
As long as it doesn't last you can relocate some of that equipment to another in the Mosquito Fleet. WHat are you using for a battery?
I bought one of the larger deep cycle batteries at walmart for around $90 that I put in the forward hole. so far it holds a charge for 4 hours of steady low to mid speed use. I have not had it run dead on me yet.

I am confused on the registration part as I didn't think an electric trolling motor would require it to be registered, (only gas powered ones). The pontoons connect by sliding them in on each side to the slightly larger pvc that is fiberglassed to the yak, I use a couple stainless bolts as cotter pins so they are on/off in about 1 minute. I fiberglassed all of the pvc joints to make sure nothign slips or moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpanwkfd View Post
The out riggers look awesome. Did they really help with you stability when bringing that fish to the yak?
YES! A huge help! Each one contains just over 1 cubic foot of air and offer alot of added stability (I read somewhere that 1 cubic foot should give about 50 pounds of added floatation). I have taken it out on short test trips close to the navy base in 15+ SW winds that really make it rough here, however, I cannot use the trolling motor if its rough though as the battery weight up forward causes every wave to soak me. But with paddling only she is stable even in pretty rough water. At Mellville pond I have tested how stable she is, by paddling out and then standing up in it and casting a few times. It seemed like I could do that safely but it felt weird as the pontoons are behind me and when standing I only see the skinny kayak so my mind is screaming "Idiot don't stand up in a kayak" but I never came close to flipping it.

Found the info on the registration, seems its pretty easy and will cost only $32 every 2 yrs, so I will do that. Just have to find that recipe from Job Lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpanwkfd View Post
If I only had a few G's to drop on one... lol
You can always go in on the cheap end, like I did I figure I have about $750 total invested in mine (including the motor and battery and the fiberglass cloth and resin and 2 extra recessed rod holders.)

Last edited by Cool Beans; 08-23-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
massbassman

Congrats on the fish and the Yak!! I gotta get me one of those... or both of them for that matter!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
massbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by massbassman View Post
Congrats on the fish and the Yak!! I gotta get me one of those... or both of them for that matter!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
From mass site in answer to who has to register a boat.

State law requires the registration of any boat that is powered by a motor and operated on public waterways in Massachusetts. Registration is required even if the motor is not the primary means of propulsion for that boat. Some examples of boats that require registration include fishing boats with motors, recreational motorboats, canoes or sailboats that use motors (includes electric motors), and personal watercraft such as Jet Skis or wet bikes. Boats exempt from registration requirements include those that do not use motors, and documented vessels (large boats that are issued a marine document and registration through the U.S. Coast Guard). Vessels used solely by a city, county, state, or federal agency will be issued a certificate of registration and number at no charge.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
jonserfish

if its under 14' no registration needed.

I LOVE it when MY WIFE lets me fish
jonserfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonserfish View Post
if its under 14' no registration needed.
nope,
I think you mean no title required

still have to register it

Ya, a 46" fish should be closer to 30 pounds even that skinny

good fish

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
CTSurfrat

Very cool kayak!

Bill
CTSurfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Ya, a 46" fish should be closer to 30 pounds even that skinny good fish
ok, mistranslated the length.. Short story, wife is Japanese, our only tape is one she uses for sewing and its in centimeters. I measured it and asked her to convert it as she was on her computer. she told me in Japanese I heard 46 she said 40.6. Figured that out tonight I caught a 42" fish that was bigger than the 46" one..... this one was 26 pounds.

40.6 does not equal 46

She says that I suffer from 2 different ailments that effect how I measure things. #1 I'm a Fisherman and #2 I'm a Man, both of which enjoy stretching things.

true story.....

Last edited by Cool Beans; 08-23-2014 at 01:01 AM..
Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I bet it was a good tow ride by the fish either way

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote