Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Republicans were for it before they were against it...

Interesting read. Huff post so take it for what it is...
Republicans Were For Obama's Health Insurance Rule Before They Were Against It
Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
buckman

Sounds like most Democrats about invading Iraq. Take it for what its worth
Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Interesting read. Huff post so take it for what it is...
Republicans Were For Obama's Health Insurance Rule Before They Were Against It
It could be a huge impediment to a Romney run for president. He claims there are important differences between his Massachusetts plan and the Obama plan. I am not familiar with Romney care. Does it work to your satisfaction? And if it does, why replace it with a costly, contentious, Federal plan. From an outsider's perspective, the advantage of your State plan is that it can already be a model for what works and what doesn't. Other States can apply what is "good" for their circumstance and discard the rest. What is most glaringly non-arguable, is that your citizens can more easily repeal it if they don't like it. Was it approved by a vote of the people? If it was, it certainly passes all constitutional muster. If not, many "conservatives" would have a problem with it. I recall "conservative" commentators arguing against it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It could be a huge impediment to a Romney run for president. He claims there are important differences between his Massachusetts plan and the Obama plan. I am not familiar with Romney care. Does it work to your satisfaction? And if it does, why replace it with a costly, contentious, Federal plan. From an outsider's perspective, the advantage of your State plan is that it can already be a model for what works and what doesn't. Other States can apply what is "good" for their circumstance and discard the rest. What is most glaringly non-arguable, is that your citizens can more easily repeal it if they don't like it. Was it approved by a vote of the people? If it was, it certainly passes all constitutional muster. If not, many "conservatives" would have a problem with it. I recall "conservative" commentators arguing against it.
As a business owner, my health related costs have increased. As a resident, my wait for doctors appointments has significantly increased.

My understanding is that MA has the highest concentration of Primary Care Medical Doctors in the nation per capita, yet the longest waiting times for appointments. What's going to happen in other states that don't have the luxury of a high concentration of doctors, yielding more available choices for care?

There should be two lines. One line for people that paid for their health care, and a second line for people that have their health care paid for them. Not only do I have to pay for someone else, but I have to wait in line behind them too??
Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Sounds like most Democrats about invading Iraq. Take it for what its worth
Precisely. They're all a bunch of hypocrites.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
As a business owner, my health related costs have increased. As a resident, my wait for doctors appointments has significantly increased.

My understanding is that MA has the highest concentration of Primary Care Medical Doctors in the nation per capita, yet the longest waiting times for appointments. What's going to happen in other states that don't have the luxury of a high concentration of doctors, yielding more available choices for care?

There should be two lines. One line for people that paid for their health care, and a second line for people that have their health care paid for them. Not only do I have to pay for someone else, but I have to wait in line behind them too??
Sounds like Romney-care is not so good. If Obama-care is Romney-care taken to a national level, sounds like the whole nation is in for a screwing. As I mentioned in another thread, leaving matters such as this to the States (as Constitutionally intended) would provide the diverse competition to show which models work and which don't. Things could more easily (and Cohstitutionally) be repaired. The National stuff goes on and on and on, getting tweaked, but not discarded.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:

My doctor doesn't accept MassHealth and I still have to book appointments 3 months ahead of time, except for emergencies.

MA may have the highest concentration of PCPs in the country, but on Cape Cod there is still a shortage of PCPs. It's tough to find one who accepts new patients.

The ERs at CCH and Falmouth Hospitals are their default PCP.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Nebe

Op-Ed Columnist - Whose Country Is It? - NYTimes.com
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
"A Quinnipiac University poll released on Wednesday took a look at the Tea Party members and found them to be just as anachronistic to the direction of the country’s demographics as the Republican Party. For instance, they were disproportionately white, evangelical Christian and “less educated ... than the average Joe and Jane Six-Pack.”"

I believe I was lambasted on here for making a remark regarding how many of the people who take part in the Tea Party Protests are morons and that my comments were an attack on highly educated women (or something to that affect).
Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I love that column. Lumping all people pissed at the healtchare bill into violent right wing extremists. And for chuckles throw in the race/gender card. yes, we are all mad that an aftican american passed this bill and that a woman was behind it, sure.
funny that the majority of the country voted for Obama and are also against the bill! How does race figure into that? This country belongs to those that EARN it. Obama is giving it way to those that DONT!

Maybe it will be "soon" Nebe, but you'd better be looking at another career. Im pretty sure your clientele is affluent and only spends discretionary $. "Soon" those dollars will be going to pay the health care bills of others and also the Bush tax cuts will expire, giving more money to Obama and well...... less to you

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Nebe

Good point Jim. Its defiantly a reality for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
"A Quinnipiac University poll released on Wednesday took a look at the Tea Party members and found them to be just as anachronistic to the direction of the country’s demographics as the Republican Party. For instance, they were disproportionately white, evangelical Christian and “less educated ... than the average Joe and Jane Six-Pack.”"
I thought the same poll went on to say that they make less $ than the average joe and jane also. Prime candidates to benefit from plan.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought the same poll went on to say that they make less $ than the average joe and jane also. Prime candidates to benefit from plan.
Making less than the average doesn't neccessarily mean that they'll benefit from the plan. They may work hard to just get by without government assistance and are afraid about being taxed more. A lot of people are nervous because they don't know how it's going to affect them.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

watch the media milk every drop of the latest milita bust to tie it to the tea party or others disatisfied with the Dems.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
buckman

Quote:
Didn't read the poll but does it mention if they are on welfare or have jobs?
Are they paid by a union to appear at rallies or are they paying there own way?
Did they get off an Acorn bus or drive themselfs?

Such a large group to be only made up of hardworking, poor,uneducated, right wing nuts. Now add in the educated independent voters, wealthy hardworking people and the self employed entrepeneurs and Obama and the Dems are clearly in deeeeep sh$t.

The only way to balance that out is..................Amnesty.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Making less than the average doesn't neccessarily mean that they'll benefit from the plan. They may work hard to just get by without government assistance and are afraid about being taxed more. A lot of people are nervous because they don't know how it's going to affect them.
Don't necessarily disagree with you.

I saw some interviews with Reno protest this past weekend and some of the folks they interviewed were unemployed and getting benefits including foodstamps. I didn't bring them up b/c the sample was so small it was meaningless.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
buckman

Quote:
Don't necessarily disagree with you.

I saw some interviews with Reno protest this past weekend and some of the folks they interviewed were unemployed and getting benefits including foodstamps. I didn't bring them up b/c the sample was so small it was meaningless.
Even the right wing nuts are unemployed????? Must have closed down the mines again