Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Classifieds Area - NO COMMERCIAL POSTS WHATSOEVER » Classifieds

Classifieds Buy,Sell, or Swap for members only please. NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING - thanks... And if you sell something like a boat through here - throw us a couple bucks for the site please :D

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Ian
Idiot

WTB Sewing machine with foot pedal

Anyone have one laying around? Not looking to break the bank, but maybe take one off your hands that doesn't get used.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

I have a giant old heavy duty singer Taylor's machine with walking foot.
You can sew 1/4" plywood together with it.
You can have it for what I paid on here a couple years ago. Ill have to search and look it up if your interested.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

It matters as to what you plan to do with it.

There are home and industrial machines of all sorts out there.

Industrial straight stitch machines are of two general varieties and they look very similar (big, heavy, powerful and set in tables with V belt driven motors beneath)

There are garment machines that sew fine fabrics at very high speeds and walking foot machines that sew heavy fabrics at slower feeds.

The feed mechanisms are different in important ways, the garment machines move thin fabrics fast and straight, the walking foot machines move thick multi layered things without shifting. Unfortunately there are all sorts of in between machines built for specific inbetween jobs out there that may or may not do what you want.

If you are doing upholstery, canvas work, fishing bags, back packs,leather etc you want a walking foot machine (and not a home version). If you are doing garments, drapes, etc get a garment or home machine

Be careful also what the seller says. Everybody lists their stuff as "industrial strength" or "great for leather". Most of it is not. If you are looking for a walking foot machine the upholstery sites and leather working sites have machine forums that discuss common model numbers you should be looking for. Understand also that used industrial machines often have been worn down enough to have some issues.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
pbadad

Ian for sewing or cannabalizing for a rod wrapper?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Hey G. can you hem some pants for me. Also what is your opinion on double knits, I know Eddie's, they are the pits.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Ian
Idiot

I should have been more specific. And until the first post was for a walking foot machine, I was gonna make an edit. My initial post was, like Billy said, to strip the motor out for a rod wrapper. I found a motor and pedal on eBay but figured I might be able to find a neglected one on here for short $ or a plug.

Then the walking foot machine got posted, and my imagination went places it shouldn't have lol. I think I'm gonna stick with looking for one I can cannibalize.

If I don't see anything by the weekend I'll just buy the eBay one.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
saltfly

Try a sewing machine retailer.When I lived in Orleans there is a fabric/sewing machine shop Murrays Fabrics.Well on my weekly trips to the dump I'd stop at the metal,wood,disposal containers and found multiple times 10 to 15 sewing machines heaved into the metal bin.Out came the boat gaffs[found on the beach] from the back of the truck.Hauled them up and removed the motors,thread tensioners[sometimes multiple setups],and footpedals.Oddly enough I just gave a couple away and brought the others to the Rangeley swap shop here in Maine.I had them at the house on the cape for a couple of years then moved them[that pissed off the queen] to Maine.I just can't pass up good junk.The repair shops also get to a point that they have to clean house too. Just a Thought.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Ian
Idiot

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Smulax

I got one you can have
Smulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Ian
Idiot

Sweet! I leave for FL tomorrow. Work out details when I get back?