Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-18-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Question Question for Grizzley Owners

Howdy Gang,

I bought a Grizzley 8690 last year. I wanted to get a 4 jaw chuck so that I can work on poper mouths with a little more ease. Grizzley said they don't make them. My question is does some other company have some that are adaptable to the Grizzley 8690 or am I up a wall??

Thanks!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
PNG

Bob,

Check the thread specs where the chuck would mount. It should be in the owners manual if you do not have one check Grizzlys site.
Once you know go to www.pennstateind.com and see if they have what you need. I'm assuming you are going to put a round router bit in it?
Nova chucks are also out there but so is their pri$e.
I have had good luck with PSI & they have great customer service.
Let us know how you make out.

Chris
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
Fishpart
Keep The Change

There is an outfit called packard woodworks that carries several types of chucks. With the right insert you can probably get one that will fit your lathe.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Pasngas,

I'm actually looking for the chuck that would hold the stock with 4 jaws, not for drilling. I can't remember what it's called but it goes on the motor side of the lathe bed, where the center would be (highly technical terms here ) You would crank down on the jaws to hold the stock. It's supposed to eliminate the need for the live center.

Right now, I have a big 1 1/8" nut that cranks down on the spindle center thingy. Not sure if I can get a chuck that would fith those threads or if it is made specifically for the nut and nothing else.

What I am trying to do is mount the stock and turn it. Then put this "Chuck" on the lathe and remount the wood in that piece. This would leave the popper mouth end open where I could turn the lathe and use a dremel to hollow out the popper mouth.

Bob Thomas
Old 08-20-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
MAC

Bob, check out Penn State Industries (link listed above). they have a 4 jaw chuck for $51.45 plus shipping. it is item #L4J. You remove the big nut and figure out what the thread is (probably 3/4"x 10). If you check out the grizzly site you can probably find out what the head stock center is threaded at.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

NG,

Checked into the specs. 3/4x10tpi. Can't find that item # in pennstate but found C3J....comes in 3/4x16tpi only.......this is becoming a project

Bob Thomas
Old 08-20-2003, 08:17 PM   #7
Jigman

Take a 2x4 scrap and a couple scraps of plywood. Nail a piece of plywood to two sides of the 2x4 to form a corner. Place this in a vice to keep it steady. Place the popper blank in the corner and clamp it. It is now held steady and verticle. Take your dremel and have fun. You can also mount this on a drill press and do the same thing. Also good for holding the blank upright while center drill the thru-wire hole on the drill press. With the money you save, you can buy more plug parts

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote