Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Nebe

"The economy is growing"

Everytime I hear this I scratch my head..

How is this judged?

I ask because when I hear the President say that "everything is good.. the economy is growing" I think that 'the economy' means profits. which means higher prices, which means you and me are having to pay more for stuff....In reality, I want to hear "everything is good, personal income is growing"... yeah right.

spin.. nothing more than spin....

thats my random thought for the day.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
spence

Growing simply means the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is increasing, basically the output of products and services is up.

This isn't to say that growth = profit, which is why corporations are focused on "profitable growth".

Slow growth is better than negative, but mostly it just gives the Washington types an excuse to say we're not in a recession.

-spence
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
buckman

With the cost of fuel and the increases of the cost of everything associated with it, I think we are headed into some real tough times. Next winter, the economy could be as bad as this country has seen in a long time.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
spence

I think things are different this time around. With globalization we're supported more by cross industry trade of goods and services. For instance the explosion in oil and gas exploration in Canada and overseas is generating huge orders for the makers of exploration equipment in the USA. Etc...
This storm can be weathered, we just have to be prepared to make some serious choices about how we live our lives. Just because you can't drive a Chevy Surburban to the grocerty store doesn't mean the American dream is dead.

-spence
Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
With the cost of fuel and the increases of the cost of everything associated with it, I think we are headed into some real tough times. Next winter, the economy could be as bad as this country has seen in a long time.
agreed.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Bronko

If Obama wins he will fix it all with hope, unity and change.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Got whacked today so for me the econmy is severly shrinking...Nebe, need someone to build furnaces for you???

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
buckman

Sorry to hear that fishpart. Keep the faith, go on unemployment, do some side work and enjoy the summer.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
EarnedStripes44

We need some leaders who are going to invest in and expand infrastructure. It will jumpstart things and provide jobs.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Sorry to hear this Ed. Now the wife has to get a job, eh?

You are smart, experienced, and have one hell of a work (and life for that matter) ethic. I don't think you will be down for long. In the meantime, we should go fishing.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: