Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
dunky

Laptop dvd drive

I have a HP laptop almost 2 yrs old. the dvd drive has stopped working or at least recognizing dvd's. it still works for cd's both music and data. I have removed and reinstalled the drivers, i have removed and reinstalled the drive, I have system transfered my files then rebooted the computer to factory specs. (PITA). I have tried quicktime, HP quick play, and windows media player w/o luck.

HP wants $160 for a new drive, I found a sony dvd rw drive on ebay for $50 but it says I need to have my own soft ware. Now what do they mean by this? Can I down load the drivers or will vista find the drivers?? I have roxio for a dvd burner is that all I need? Are all newer laptop dvd driver slots are the same size?

Thanks for your help or any other suggestions

Chris
dunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
dunky

Anyone??? I have ordered a used drive from ebay from the same model HP.
dunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

did you try searching for the exact same HP drive on E-Bay...then you should be able to plug it in and go

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote