Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Fishing Hardwater

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
yj1990

ice auger tunning??

I live up in haverhill, my dad has a jiffy auger and it runs like #^&#^&#^&#^&. looked on line they say everything from carb adjustment to rejetting any on help me with finding some one to fix it ect thanks. and if you want to recomend some one is great, just want to you know im comming to borrow yours when they #^&#^&#^&#^& it up lol need reliable help thanks.
yj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Did flush out the old Gas and change the plug? Good place to start?

Talk to the guy at River Street Bait and Tackle in Haverhill....he may be able to point you in the right direction for service. He's a Big Ice Fishing B&T in the area

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
yj1990

yeah i down there all the time, try to buy local but its a small shop and this is a on going pain in the ass. will run it by him thanks
yj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Rockfish9

what you do/ can do depends on the engine ( not the brand) ... the 2 hp models have no adjustments and parts must be replaced... a good carb rebuild usualy repairs all woes.. the 3 HP models are adjustable, but most likely it needs an overhaul.. in the future run stabilzer in your fuel all season.. it keep carbs clean and keeps small quantities of fuel from degrading...

run fresh REGULAR fuel... not premium.. here is the reason... premium fuel, is made for high compression engines, it ignites at a higher temperture... not what you want in your Ice auger...when I mix my fuel, i use Startron as an additive... it contains cleaners,water dispersants and stabilizers to combat todays Ethonol fuels.. i also use a High grade synthetic 2 cycle oil and mix it at their specifications...in my case I use Amsoil mixed 2 100:1.. this oil is MADE to run at that ratio... always use the mix ratio recomended by the oil manufacturer...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
WESTPORTMAFIA

[QUOTE=The Dad Fisherman;966599]Did flush out the old Gas and change the plug? Good place to start?

We all know that there should NEVER be any OLD gas left unless treated and stored. That's his problem 100%. Ethonol! Gunked out carb issue. Not a biggie.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
WESTPORTMAFIA

90% of the time you wont need a full clean, or rebuild. Just get it started with some carb cleaner and starter fluid and run it for 15 minutes (usually spits the tiny junk out). After that treat the BRAND NEW gas and run it every once in a while.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
90% of the time you wont need a full clean, or rebuild. Just get it started with some carb cleaner and starter fluid and run it for 15 minutes (usually spits the tiny junk out). After that treat the BRAND NEW gas and run it every once in a while.
NEVER run starter fluid in a 2 stroke motor... the reason... there is no lubrication in ether...ether( starting fluid) burns uncontroled and bearings take a beating because the fuel charge is stored in the crank case... if the engine does not blow imediatly.. you are taking serious hours off of your rig...
repair kits are available at most service centers .. I order mine on line from parts tree.com...do it right.. clean the carb... mix with clean fuel and all will be fine.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote