Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #61
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So Jimmy,it seems you parent the same way I do...my 3rd grader walks home from school (supervised at first and with a buddy).All three have had college accounts since birth and will incur minimal debt (a little teaches them nothing is free).I have not however written the EastonJournal to demonstrate my bravery which you seem so proud of.Do I consider myself a lemming?Not in the least,but I choose to make a positive impact in other ways.I won't hesitate to say I resent being called a coward for my lack of civil disobedience,I would probably refer to myself as a realist.NRA just made recommendations for our childrens safety;they seem to be on my page and not yours.I would rather have my kids safe and try a little prevention while you seek a cure.Yup I am going mainstream again.Now I will go wrap gifts with the kids at My Brothers Keeper.A Holiday tradition of helping those less fortunate enjoy Christmas.Each gift is delivered with a cross to let the recipients know where the gifts come from.I am not religious but it makes me feel good.I guess that makes me a selfish coward.
you should read your posts, I responded to your acqusations. the coward comment was on your point (read you post) that things suck but deal with it. I never said you dont do anything good, I dont even know you but you attacked me for questioning the dramatic change in our culture which in IMHO undermines our society. And I believe you just made my point - "a little prevention" now equals armed guards at school. Wow, just wow. Whats next?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You're right...we should do nothing and just let natural order take over...

-spence
I see, Spence. So according to you, there are 2 kinds of people.

(1) those who agree that Biden is the man for the job, and

(2) those who don't care about dead kids.

Spence, you are really coming un-glued, and you are really coming across as a horse's ass. I don't want Biden in charge of this, because he's not qualified to handle something this important. He's an un-serious, thoughtless, tired old party hack who will focus all the energy on guns (because his party hates the NRA) and he will do nothing to regulate violence in the entertainment industry (because his party gets huge $$ from Hollywood).

Biden is a joke, a punch-line. If we are serious about taking the reasonable steps to try to reduce the risk of future school massacres, we need someone in charge who won't be limited by what he currently believes, but someone who will be guided by facts and common sense. That ain't Joe Biden.

But congrats on assuming that those who don't think Biden is qualified, don't care about dead little kids.

The wheels are coming off the bus, Spence, you really sound un-hinged.

And for my $0.02, gun control that is forward-looking (meaning, laws that don't confiscate the guns currently out there) can not possibly have a significant impact. Yet 99% of what I hear from Democrats is gun control. I want someone who recognizes that we ned to take a long hard look at the crap our kids get bombarded with.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #63
spence

I assure you I'm quite lucid.

As for your 99% remark, you're clearly not listening very well then.

-spence
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:

As for your 99% remark, you're clearly not listening very well then.

-spence
You stated that detbuch doesn't want to protect little kids, despite the fact that he never said anything of the kind.

The fact that you can mindlessly regurguitate one-sided talking points does not make you lucid. Anytime anyone offered another opinion, your response was "suck it up haters".

Lucid? Hardly.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #65
spence

That was pretty obvious sarcasm, I insinuated nothing of the sort.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
, I insinuated nothing of the sort.
Here is what you typed, verbatum...

"You're right...we should do nothing and just let natural order take over..."

You didn't type "suck it, haters" multiple times?

Seriously, are you OK today?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #67
striperman36
Old Guy

no joy here the hater's have arrived
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #68
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you should read your posts, I responded to your acqusations. the coward comment was on your point (read you post) that things suck but deal with it. I never said you dont do anything good, I dont even know you but you attacked me for questioning the dramatic change in our culture which in IMHO undermines our society. And I believe you just made my point - "a little prevention" now equals armed guards at school. Wow, just wow. Whats next?
With guards at school I can tell you what is NOT next and that is known as death of children.Still waiting for your suggestion.Do youthink McVeigh didn't get outside enough?What about Kaczinski our homegrown unabomber;too much spongebob?While you are writing op eds kids are dying at school but you think we should stand down while I prefer to deal with it?That is real courage and conviction,the country is indebted to your service indeed.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #69
scottw

Quote:

-spence
that's what every nut-job says right before they lose it

Last edited by scottw; 12-21-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #70
Nebe

I like turtles
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #71
JohnnyD

Quote:
Jimmy, just wait until he starts threatening to smack you because you disagree with him.

I declared a new mantra for myself last month that I plan on carrying through 2013... "You cannot reason with the unreasonable."

It works well to remind me not to try to understand women's emotions, hyper-liberals, mega-conservatives and people like Sea Dangles that coast around fishing websites calling random people he disagrees idiots and claiming he'd smack you if you were in the room.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #72
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
i dont think so. he would cite the great advances in race relations. he had mostly african american friends grwoing up and expercienced racism first hand, he loved the advances in technology in his lifetime.
he went to school same as i did, played outside same as I did. Im pretty sure he would say that things have improved from his childhood.
Can I say the same for my kids? Are things better now?
Im not willing to embrace police at schools, security everywhere, less and less freedom. its not how I want my kids to live.
Places in time I guess .. funny ,, I just saw the history of xmas on the history channel . Very telling . Children were not valued as much in this country until after the industrial revolution . I guess they were factory workers before that . They became the center of the home during the Victorian age . Santa Claus was invented ,, later songs ,, Rudolph ,, White Christmas.. This all happened 50's early 60's .. 1962 (Charles #^&#^&#^&#^&ens) A Christmas Carol with Mr. Magoo was the best telling of that story ever . As beautiful time as it was to grow up, all this Santa Claus stuff was fueled by advertisers. Even Santa coming down the chimney was a ad to sell Coal originally . enter Black Friday,,, Now people going out shopping is becoming less and pushing buttons in your home buying on the internet is becoming the norm ,, I believe that's black Monday ? ,, the busiest shopping day now .. For better or worse we never stand still .. We evolve ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #73
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

You must have seen some snow yesterday for Christmas that should cheer you up.

Does it make me a bad person if I really don't worry about this subject, the sky falling, very often?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #74
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
You must have seen some snow yesterday for Christmas that should cheer you up.

Does it make me a bad person if I really don't worry about this subject, the sky falling, very often?
too funny, nah, cooking my prime rib on the grill with heavy snow and 23 degree weather was not how I planned to spend Christmas in TX, Still was a great day though.

And I dont think your a bad person for not worrying but I think we need to look around every now and then and see how things are shaking out. Negative change, IMHO, has been drastic lately with more rules and regulation coming fast and furious. We accept most of it but at what point is it too much? When are we no longer the land of the free?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #75
detbuch

Quote:
too funny, nah, cooking my prime rib on the grill with heavy snow and 23 degree weather was not how I planned to spend Christmas in TX, Still was a great day though.

And I dont think your a bad person for not worrying but I think we need to look around every now and then and see how things are shaking out. Negative change, IMHO, has been drastic lately with more rules and regulation coming fast and furious. We accept most of it but at what point is it too much? When are we no longer the land of the free?
The 10 worst regulations of 2012 News -- GOPUSA

Thought I might give a link to a few of the MANY examples of regulations just passed, and many more to come from the hundreds of Federal Regulatory Agencies (as well as those from State agencies).

BTW, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), responsible for the first (#10) of the regulations listed in the article, is possibly a new model for future regulatory agencies which can be sheltered even more than other existing agencies. Because it is placed within the Federal Reserve its budget is not subject to congressional control which limits congressional AND, as well, presidential oversight, and the Federal Reserve is statutorily prohibited from intervening in CFPB affairs.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-27-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #76
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

im not very religious but thought this was interesting and pretty prophetic for 1965.....its a shame how accurate this is

CLASSIC REWIND - 1965: 'If I Were the Devil' (Warning for a Nation) - Paul Harvey - Paul Harvey - Fox Nation

Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #77
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

whew, I feel safer, dont you?
Apparently this is the America Dangles wants.....

Maryland school suspends six-year-old boy for making gun gesture, saying ?pow? - Yahoo! News

Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #78
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There's 2 of the stupidest things wrong today in 1 story.....

The "Politically Correct Over-reaction of the school" and the "Quick Call a lawyer and lets sue" reaction by the parents.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #79
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
There's 2 of the stupidest things wrong today in 1 story.....

The "Politically Correct Over-reaction of the school" and the "Quick Call a lawyer and lets sue" reaction by the parents.
folks are also suing the movie theatre where the other shooting took place.......sad but true

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #80
Sea Dangles

Quote:

Maryland school suspends six-year-old boy for making gun gesture, saying ?pow? - Yahoo! News
Either you are making a point and using me to help or you are incredibly stupid.
Context is hard to follow for the close minded but I will try to help you.
Go back and read the thread from the start and try to understand what I meant by deal with it...do you think I meant we should ignore the problems because there is nothing that can be done? If you are nodding your head,you are stupid.If you think I meant we need to find the best solution as a country and deal with the circumstances we are burdened with then you have a clue as to what I meant. Give yourself a pat on the back for me.
Nobody ever expected an attack like the one we were burdened with on 9/11, but we have moved forward and we have dealt with it. How? you ask....drones,seal teams,bombs etc. That is dealing with it in my world.
I hear Switzerland is nice this time of year,perhaps you could take up yodeling.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #81
Jim in CT

Quote:

09/11 was a game-changer. Maybe the Newtown tragedy was too, I don't know. I don't want to see an armed guard at an elementary school, but to me it's preferable to seeing tiny little coffins.

To the original reason why you posted this thread...it's hard not to look around and wonder how we let things get so bad.

Saw you did a prime rib on the grill...one of my favorites. Charcoal grill, I hope. Is it legal to buy a gas grill in Texas? I'm something of a pitmaster myself, but I can't figure out how do do a good beef brisket, which Texas is famous for. Where abouts in TX are you? Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #82
Typhoon

I blame the lawyers for most of my current depression about America. Everyone suing each other for the mighty dollar. A complete nanny state.

Sledding is about to be banned. Most local golf courses will have to put up fences for their liability insurance because little Suzie's mom will sue.

Arrested for sledding? | North - WCVB Home

Bonfires in Humarock banned.. one of my fondest childhood memories living in Ocean Bluff.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/0...nanmen-square/

I could go on and on. We are raising a nation of "bubble children".

-Andrew
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
When are we no longer the land of the free?
I'd say when our kids graduate from college (mine are 6, 3, 1), and before they start their careers, they find out they are each $200,000 in the hole because of decisions made by the previous 3 generations...that's when much freedom is lost. And I can't see how we avoid that. And one political side seemingly could care less.

Imagine going to a restaurant. You sit at the table. You are ready to enjoy the meal. The waitress hands you the bill from the people who just left that table and says "the people who just left this table ran up a huge tab, and you have to pay it before you can order your drinks".

How would you like that? How is that not what we're doing to our kids?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #84
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Either you are making a point and using me to help or you are incredibly stupid.
Context is hard to follow for the close minded but I will try to help you.
Go back and read the thread from the start and try to understand what I meant by deal with it...do you think I meant we should ignore the problems because there is nothing that can be done? If you are nodding your head,you are stupid.If you think I meant we need to find the best solution as a country and deal with the circumstances we are burdened with then you have a clue as to what I meant. Give yourself a pat on the back for me.
Nobody ever expected an attack like the one we were burdened with on 9/11, but we have moved forward and we have dealt with it. How? you ask....drones,seal teams,bombs etc. That is dealing with it in my world.
I hear Switzerland is nice this time of year,perhaps you could take up yodeling.
no, you believe we should take extreme measures to put safety above freedom. In your world, we should monitor emails of ex-milatry or disgruntled americans in order to prevent the next McVeigh or unibomber. Why not, it would protect lives! Freedom is dangerous in the wrong hands but we cant monitor everyone, arm every school, tap every phone line, strip search everyone boarding a plane. Curious, do you always wear a lifejacket on your boat? If not why, dont you care that your family would lose you? Dont you think your chances of drowning drastically decrease if you wear one? . Dealing with it should not lead us to be more live Ecuador or Somalia or nazi germany. Dictatorships have very little violent crime. You lose what this country is about. You seem very comfortable with others making decisions for you and being in charge, Im not. Crazy, but I believe i know whats best for my family, not some jackwad in washington. I cant be everywhere to keep my kids safe and I dont expect them to be. If I lock them in my closet they will not get VD, do drugs or be bullied, 100% guaranteed. But what life is that. Dealing with it to me, is fostering moral character, self worth,pride, etc. Not arming everyone and removing the day to day freedoms this country was built for.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 01-03-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #85
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
I blame the lawyers for most of my current depression about America. Everyone suing each other for the mighty dollar. A complete nanny state.

Sledding is about to be banned. Most local golf courses will have to put up fences for their liability insurance because little Suzie's mom will sue.

Arrested for sledding? | North - WCVB Home

Bonfires in Humarock banned.. one of my fondest childhood memories living in Ocean Bluff.
Scituate Man Says Bonfire Standoff Was Like ‘Tiananmen Square’ CBS Boston

I could go on and on. We are raising a nation of "bubble children".
yup....it just keeps going, f'in newport folk festival doesnt allow any booze, not even beer! Apparenlty 1% of the people cant handle their booze so they ban it for everyone, crazy! You wouldnt even have folk music if it wasnt for alcohol!
you know what we have in Texas, those little levers on gas pumps that allow you to pump hands free, amazing. Apparently we are willing to take the risk of the 1 in 100,999,000 people who use it may overflow if the pump doesnt shut off!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #86
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
yup....it just keeps going, f'in newport folk festival doesnt allow any booze, not even beer!
That's because it is a state park... same as if it was held at Beavertail or one of the state beaches....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #87
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
That's because it is a state park... same as if it was held at Beavertail or one of the state beaches....
thats crap - I drank at the jazz fest for years
and storm brewey has a festivaol there...

14th Annual Newport Storm Luau

Saturday, 4:30pm – 10pm

Presented by Coastal Extreme Brewing Company. This is to benefit the Fort Adams Trust. Live music, Polynesian Dancers, Hawaiian themed food, ice cold Newport Storm beer and Thomas Tew rum drinks.

Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door (while available).

Tickets can be purchased at the Fort Adams Trust Gift Shop, online at www.newportstorm.com or at their brewery located at 293 JT Connell Road, Newport or by calling 401.849.5232.

This is a 21+ only event. Must show valid ID upon entrance.

Sponsorship Opportunities available. For more information contact Laurie Labrecque at 401.841.0707 or at llabrecque@fortadams.org

and the rhythm and roots fest is held at Ningret State Park.. and they serve beer.......Welcome to Rhythm and Roots Festival

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #88
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
thats crap - I drank at the jazz fest for years
and the rhythm and roots fest is held at Ningret State Park.. and they serve beer.......Welcome to Rhythm and Roots Festival
I'm just telling you that's the argument, not that it's right/wrong... If I recall at R&R, it is limited to the concert area, from a vendor, AND it is Ninigret Park, not state park, which I thought was town propery, not a state park

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #89
Sea Dangles

Quote:
no, you believe we should take extreme measures to put safety above freedom. In your world, we should monitor emails of ex-milatry or disgruntled americans in order to prevent the next McVeigh or unibomber. Why not, it would protect lives! Freedom is dangerous in the wrong hands but we cant monitor everyone, arm every school, tap every phone line, strip search everyone boarding a plane. Curious, do you always wear a lifejacket on your boat? If not why, dont you care that your family would lose you? Dont you think your chances of drowning drastically decrease if you wear one? . Dealing with it should not lead us to be more live Ecuador or Somalia or nazi germany. Dictatorships have very little violent crime. You lose what this country is about. You seem very comfortable with others making decisions for you and being in charge, Im not. Crazy, but I believe i know whats best for my family, not some jackwad in washington. I cant be everywhere to keep my kids safe and I dont expect them to be. If I lock them in my closet they will not get VD, do drugs or be bullied, 100% guaranteed. But what life is that. Dealing with it to me, is fostering moral character, self worth,pride, etc. Not arming everyone and removing the day to day freedoms this country was built for.
Next thing you know we will see peanut free zones in school cafeterias;oh the horror! I guess you are right Jimmy,where do I sign up to join your revolution?One thing I am quite sure of is my children will be prepared to succeed regardless of the obstacles and will make informed decisions which are basedd on life experiences both good and bad.I have a 15 year old boy heading to Ecuador for a month next summer to get a slap of reality and to realize how fortunate he is. I think it would be a good trip for someone like you also.Your cookie cutter life could use an infusion of reality.
Not shocked but again you misunderstood why I even referenced McVeigh and Ted K but I wont get into it because your absoption rate seems low even for you. Did you eat some funny mushrooms in TX?I am beginning to think homeschooling might be the alternative that will satisfy your expectations. Please consider it.

Last edited by Sea Dangles; 01-03-2013 at 09:45 PM..

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN