Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so much for freedom!

Calif. tax bill seeks to punish Scouts for gay ban

whether you agree with the scouts or not.....if this passes, they MUST do the same things for all religions. Catholic, Jewish and Muslim religions are anti-gay. Its a fact.
They also must do this for girl scouts. Can I as a straight male take girl scouts camping? Hmm...
Ahh yes, the purpose of government is to push its beliefs on private organizations!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Like you said, whether you agree with the position or not, if they are allowed to discriminate against protected classes (no girls), who the hell is the state force the organization to accept people from unprotected classes?

Also, the targeted attack by the legislature will easily (though expensively) be overturned as it directly violates the US Supreme Court's ruling in 2000 that the private organization can lawfully discriminate.

What's next, a quota on the diversity of whom private individuals are friends with? "Mr JD, we noticed that you have a variety of white, black and asian friends. However, you are two friends short on your latino ratio. You're going to have to pay a additional 5% penalty fine tax."
(Yes, I know the example is extreme and ridiculous.)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Ahh yes, the purpose of government is to push its beliefs on private organizations!
Yup. The agenda of Progressive government is to establish beliefs to which everyone will ascribe. A collective society must have uniform beliefs or it will splinter. Outdated principles such as individual rights or freedom of association create animosities and dissentions, or even worse, allow offensive speech. If we are to have such a thing as the First Amendment, it should prescribe a uniform code of speech. As well, if the government is to tolerate freedom of religion, there must also be a uniform code of religious beliefs. Beliefs that deviate from normally accepted science, however, should be gradually made moribund. Any notion of a higher existence than society is not truly acceptable. Any devotion to an elite entity should be directed toward a fidelity to collective society and to the rules and regulations of experts that know what is best for universal happiness.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Back in the 90"s the Boy Scouts voted with their wallets by giving up over 50% of their funding which they got through united way. UW would not continue giving the Scouts money because of their stance on gays and the BSA stood their ground.

It is Tyranny, fueled by the media and education systems which are simply the propaganda arm of the Government masteminds. Next thing we know anything not specifically allowed will be forbidden; anything for the betterment of man.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
It is Tyranny, fueled by the media and education systems which are simply the propaganda arm of the Government masteminds. Next thing we know anything not specifically allowed will be forbidden; anything for the betterment of man.
This is what our country has evolved into. It is not a matter of "is XYZ illegal?" but "does the government allow us to do that."

Laws in this country are supposed to be created with the assumption that everything is legal except for that which is specifically made not legal. Today, there are so many laws and such convoluted interpretation of those laws, that the government can make not wiping your ass properly illegal if they want to.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is the leveraging of wiretapping laws in order to arrest and successfully prosecute people for recording police while out in public. The spirit of the law was to prevent the unknown recording of phone conversations, not the video recording of police while out in public.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Raven

let's see

why did we start the war
with ENGLAND again?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
let's see

why did we start the war
with ENGLAND again?
So we could replace the English king with an American one.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Raven

this message shall be taxed
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Next thing we know anything not specifically allowed will be forbidden; anything for the betterment of man.
Alles Verboten

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Wouldn't expect anything less from the "Land of Fruits and Nuts"

BSA is voting on their membership policy in May, lets see what happens then.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Wouldn't expect anything less from the "Land of Fruits and Nuts"

BSA is voting on their membership policy in May, lets see what happens then.
Im all for people being as fruity and nutty as they want. I think its great if you want to be gay, have 100 piercings, die your hair blue. Its your life and you should live how you want to. But that applies to the scouts too, they should be able to have their rules. Some people may feel alientated but thats life. Start your own org with your own rules!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Im all for people being as fruity and nutty as they want. I think its great if you want to be gay, have 100 piercings, die your hair blue. Its your life and you should live how you want to. But that applies to the scouts too, they should be able to have their rules. Some people may feel alientated but thats life. Start your own org with your own rules!
I agree...thats pretty much how I feel....To Each his Own.

No matter how the vote goes I will still support Scouts and their membership, Its a program I believe in.

Personally...I think the vote is going to keep things status quo. I've said it before....75-80% of all scouting units are chartered by Religious Organizations....are they going to risk alienating that many organizations....and their funding....to satisfy a few.....I doubt it.

But stranger things have happened.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."