Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Im for free markets but .....really?

Al Jazeera buys Al Gore's Current TV - CNN.com

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
BigBo

But Glenn Beck's offer to buy Current TV was rejected.

"Every once in a while a tweet appears that's so silly, it must be a joke. Like this one from Glenn Beck: "Before Al-Jazeera bought Current TV, TheBlaze looked into buying it but we were rejected by progressive owners." Guess what? He's totally serious. The Wall Street Journal caught the detail in its coverage: "Glenn Beck's The Blaze approached Current about buying the channel last year, but was told that 'the legacy of who the network goes to is important to us and we are sensitive to networks not aligned with our point of view,' according to a person familiar with the negotiations."

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
But Glenn Beck's offer to buy Current TV was rejected.

"Every once in a while a tweet appears that's so silly, it must be a joke. Like this one from Glenn Beck: "Before Al-Jazeera bought Current TV, TheBlaze looked into buying it but we were rejected by progressive owners." Guess what? He's totally serious. The Wall Street Journal caught the detail in its coverage: "Glenn Beck's The Blaze approached Current about buying the channel last year, but was told that 'the legacy of who the network goes to is important to us and we are sensitive to networks not aligned with our point of view,' according to a person familiar with the negotiations."
I'll have to ask him about it at this week's football game.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

I'll have to ask him about it at this week's football game.
Glenn Beck the tv nutjob was buying the station, not Glenn Beck the person that goes to his kid's football games. Politicizing the denied request is with no motivation other than in order to rile up the minions. The way Glenn Beck publicly politicizes every situation is no different than how Al Sharpton makes every public situation involving a black person racist. He is the Jerry Springer of politics, an unfunny version of Stephen Colbert.

Frankly, Al Jazeera is frequently a better source for less-biased information than any of our domestic media outlets. At least unlike CNN, MSNBC and FOXNEWS, it isn't obvious that politicians have the media in their pockets.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Glenn Beck the tv nutjob was buying the station, not Glenn Beck the person that goes to his kid's football games. Politicizing the denied request is with no motivation other than in order to rile up the minions. The way Glenn Beck publicly politicizes every situation is no different than how Al Sharpton makes every public situation involving a black person racist. He is the Jerry Springer of politics, an unfunny version of Stephen Colbert.

Frankly, Al Jazeera is frequently a better source for less-biased information than any of our domestic media outlets. At least unlike CNN, MSNBC and FOXNEWS, it isn't obvious that politicians have the media in their pockets.
I'll have to ask him about it when I see him at the football game.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Al Jazeera is awash in money from it ad revenues. Even with Bin Laden's lost advertising revenue, down 92%, Al Jazeera has still managed to reaped 16% profit from its marry-my-daughter-she-is-a-virgin ads, and the ever popular ads matching suicidal individuals with potential employers.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Al Jazeera is awash in money from it ad revenues. Even with Bin Laden's lost advertising revenue, down 92%, Al Jazeera has still managed to reaped 16% profit from its marry-my-daughter-she-is-a-virgin ads, and the ever popular ads matching suicidal individuals with potential employers.
I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread prompted a racist post...even if it was likely only in jest

-spence
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
buckman

Al Jezeera is awash in oil money. Now Gore is. How ironic
To bad he didn't sell before 12/31 . Obama cost him millions
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Al Jezeera is awash in oil money. Now Gore is. How ironic
To bad he didn't sell before 12/31 . Obama cost him millions
Good one! I am more than certain he has found a way around that as well.

Look he found a way to care about the environment with out really doing anything to reduce his true footprint. We can all be pigs if we buy carbon credits

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
scottw

Al Whore

huffpo- "Al Jazeera has acquired Current TV, the progressive cable news station co- founded by Al Gore"

translation: Anti- American propoganda machine extends it reach through purchase of flailing American Progressive Cable News Station founded by former American Democrat Presidential Candidate...."no controlling legal authority"

"former Democratic presidential candidate was insistent that the sale to the Qatari channel be completed before December 31. That date was important to Gore because he was trying to avoid the higher tax rates that President Obama has been clamoring for so desperately for years.

Unfortunately, despite their best efforts to avoid “paying their fair share,” Gore and his partners were unable to get the deal done before 2013:

Al Jazeera did not disclose the purchase price, but people with direct knowledge of the deal pegged it at around $500 million, indicating a $100 million payout for Mr. Gore, who owned 20 percent of Current. Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1, according to several people who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. But the deal was not signed until Wednesday."

I've seen a number of responses to various posts regarding this...apparently Al Jezeera is one of the most reputable, reliable and unbiased news sources in the world.........oh, and if you suggest otherwise you are probably a racist

Last edited by scottw; 01-04-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
buckman

Will we get to see journalist have their heads removed with a butcher knife ???
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Will we get to see journalist have their heads removed with a butcher knife ???
only conservative ones