Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
wdmso

Acting US Navy secretary resigns

Mr Modly flew 8,000 miles on Monday to the Pacific island of Guam, where the USS Theodore Roosevelt is docked, and berated the crew for having cheered the captain as he left the ship.

he was a) too naive or too stupid to be the commanding officer of a ship like this," Mr Modly said. "The alternative is he did it on purpose."

And the Capt Has tested Postive for covid 19

I think the acting Sec of the Navy thought he was going to bully the crew with a press conference modeld after a Trump press confrence beat down ... so much for that
Old 04-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Two wrongs did not make a right.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Military chain of command rules are essential in conducting operations of any kind. This is why he was fired, though I think relieved is a more proper word. (And you do not publicize to the world that one of your aircraft carriers, one of your most influential weapons, is out of commission... Period.)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Military chain of command rules are essential in conducting operations of any kind. This is why he was fired, though I think relieved is a more proper word. (And you do not publicize to the world that one of your aircraft carriers, one of your most influential weapons, is out of commission... Period.)
This ^

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
This ^
Agreed. You also don't publically demean the former CO to the entire crew like he did. Both good shoots.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I 'm not sure what to think of Modly. Not the type of jam you expect to find an Annapolis grad in. He also got muddled up in the court martial of the Navy SEAL where the President made an executive decision. Was considered a civilian boss by veteran navy officials. This appears to be a sacrificial lamb laid down for the Dems....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Agreed. You also don't publically demean the former CO to the entire crew like he did. Both good shoots.
I thought it was pretty classless myself.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
thats a BS reason pushed by the the Navy every family member knew what was going on and they were in port and its never been out of commission

If the Capt hadn't made his choice to get his men treatment the ship not being combat effective would have happened ..
Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
thats a BS reason pushed by the the Navy every family member knew what was going on and they were in port and its never been out of commission

If the Capt hadn't made his choice to get his men treatment the ship not being combat effective would have happened ..
I will respectfully disagree. Not even going to begin to go through your statements, Wayne.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Joint chiefs of staff official: "It's not a good idea to think that the Teddy Roosevelt is a one-of-a-kind issue. We have too many ships at sea."

Hmmm, is Captain Obvious going to be "removed from command" also?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
wdmso

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markcan.../#48c4fb5a1e10

no recruit Training parris Island the Army has suspended new recruits as well

ships are ideal disease incubators. Crews are tightly packed and kept together for weeks at a time. It is customary that bronchial diseases (“the crud”) get passed around the crew during the deployment. A crew with COVID-19 would likely not be allowed to enter any foreign port. Most ships don’t have a doctor on board, just corpsmen,

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2020...ginia-sailors/
“We’ve got confirmed cases on four carriers, and obviously there’s ships other than carriers, too,”

I'll stick with my 1st assessment of the Navy's response... since the cats out of the bag the Navy's on its heals .. and the Bad Captain mantra isn't passing the smell test
Old 04-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #12
Sea Dangles

Wayne,as a human you are right.
In the context of our military, you are wrong.

This was not a civilian captain. There are consequences. Even when you do the right thing,it can be wrong if you have not followed protocol.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Wayne,as a human you are right.
In the context of our military, you are wrong.

This was not a civilian captain. There are consequences. Even when you do the right thing,it can be wrong if you have not followed protocol.
He was not wrong for bypassing leadership who were ignoring their duty but the Trump administration and his supporters disparages the man ?

the only official in the entire government who has been publicly disciplined to date for mishandling the coronavirus is a Navy officer who acted to save his crew from an outbreak. This makes no sense save in the upside-down moral universe inhabited by the Trump administration.

the New York Times reported that Esper had “urged American military commanders overseas not to make any decisions related to the coronavirus that might surprise the White House or run afoul of President Trump’s messaging on the growing health challenge.” This was a dismaying directive that seemed to put politics above force protection

“I didn’t want to get into a decision where the president would feel that he had to intervene because the Navy couldn’t be decisive,” Modly

Yet Trumps administration and supporters support the of pardoning personnel who have been accused, and even convicted, of war crimes. ???

Make up your minds

Last edited by wdmso; 04-10-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Old 04-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

Apples and oranges
They could not retain this captain and even he knows why.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #15
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Apples and oranges
They could not retain this captain and even he knows why.
He did it knowing he was taking the bullet.

He’ll be just fine.

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:58 AM   #16
rphud
GrandBob

funny thing I heard was his boss was right down the corridor
Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #17
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

He’ll be just fine.
Agreed
Good man

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

He’ll be just fine.
Been my contention from day 1 the issue I had and have with Navy Secretary taking the position it was about chain of command and showing our enemies the ship was out of commission aka not combat ready...

When his action were about his men , and if actions were not taken.
the Navy would have a readiness issues .. which all branches are seeing

But he embarrassed the White house and the Navy . so he had to go. !

If he called it a hoax he would have earned a medal

Just another example of the politicization of the military Rumsfeld pushed it hard and this administration is of the chart ,,,

But kill a prisoner in custody, and in this administration your a hero? Aka mixed messages to the men in uniform and citizen's on what is to be considered proper conduct
Old 04-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #19
Sea Dangles

I am not sure he had to go due to embarrassing Wayne.
He simply did not follow protocol.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #20
spence

Everybody knew the ship was infected, he wasn’t tipping off our enemies to anything. Even if he didn’t follow protocol the Navy has a process to review his actions and serve the appropriate punishment, which, once again Trump circumvented to stroke his ego.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Sea Dangles

Rules are rules Jeff.
Especially in the military.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Luckily Naval Command is wiser than some people here, the Navy will still exist after the current Commander in Chief is gone along with the incompetent fawning supplicants he claims are the "best".

Capt. Crozier is a consummate leader and, in his capacity as such, demonstrated exactly what a a man of his stature would do. His priority was his crew and he put their well being over his career. He is inspirational.

More than 400 sailors on the Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive for coronavirus after Crozier raised an alarm. Modly is now in quarantine.

On March 31, before Crozier was relieved and a day after he wrote his letter, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Robert P. Burke sent a message to the fleet regarding COVID-19 response, which stated:

“There are times that you will need to push back on operational requirements. There are times that you may need to go to an installation commander for places to house your Sailors because you cannot effectively isolate your personnel… If you’re not getting what you need, don’t suffer in silence, get the word up the chain. Above all, and I want you to hear this from me and the CNO, WE HAVE YOUR BACK. When in doubt, lean forward and lead.”

WASHINGTON— Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday that he is willing to consider reinstating Capt. Brett Crozier as commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, pending the outcome of an investigation.

“No further action will be taken against Capt. Crozier until the investigation is completed. And once that’s completed, we’ll see where that takes us. And so we’ve taken nothing off the table,” Esper said Friday during an interview with CBS This Morning.

Esper said he is waiting for the Navy’s recommendations from the investigation.

“My inclination is to always support the chain of command and to take their recommendations seriously. So, we’ll see how that plays out,” he said. “At some point here in the coming days, they will come to me and share with me their findings and recommendations.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

WASHINGTON — Capt. Brett E. Crozier should be restored to command of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, the Navy’s top officials recommended on Friday.

But Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper, who was briefed on the recommendations, has asked for more time to consider whether to sign off on reinstating the captain of the nuclear-powered carrier.

Mr. Esper received the recommendation from the chief of naval operations, Adm. Michael M. Gilday, and the acting Navy secretary, James McPherson. Defense Department officials said earlier that they expected to announce the results of the Navy’s investigation into the matter on Friday afternoon.

Mr. Esper’s decision to hold up the investigation has surprised Navy officials, who believed that the defense secretary would leave the process in the hands of the military chain of command.

Lets Go Darwin