Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I feel the same way. Perhaps a better flag would be a public listing of any gun owner who owns more than a certain number of weapons (pick a number). Listing of weapon owners would be publicly posted at city/town halls and printed in local media (newspaper) quarterly. Just as gun owners have a right to bear arms I think residents and law enforcement have a right to know if there is a "private arsenal" for lack of a better word in their neighborhoods. All to often neighbors say they had "no idea" their neighbor had that many weapons. If they knew maybe they could monitor behavior more closely and alert law enforcement.
If th government can regulate sudafed to flag an abuser (potential meth cook), they can moniter arms hoarders. Unless the hoarder has a lot of straw men buying for him.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
If th government can regulate sudafed to flag an abuser (potential meth cook), they can moniter arms hoarders. Unless the hoarder has a lot of straw men buying for him.
they cant the law will not allow ATF to have a searchable Data base
Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
they cant the law will not allow ATF to have a searchable Data base
That's my point.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I don't see the need for the public to know who has one gun, 15 or 150, I can only see good neighbors suddenly becoming bad ones. I do however see a reason law enforcement should have access to who's amassing enough weapons to start a war. What is the difference between this nut or one that happens to be a radical Islamic nut? What they are buying, where and when IMHO should be part of the record that local law, federal agents or anyone in homeland security should be able to see.

It's sad that this is where we are today, that we can't go calmly into a football stadium, concert hall or country fair, or airport without being concerned about our safety. I see no reason to not be monitoring purchases by law enforcement and maybe this is already in place, but if not; I think it would be a good thing to be monitoring. Sadly this isn't Mayberry and Aunt Bee isn't baking Andy a nice pumpkin pie for the holiday weekend.

If legal gun owners or collectors have no reason to be concerned, then why would you mind if law enforcement has a record or what you own? If someone breaks into your home and walks away, then law enforcement has a record of what was taken. The argument about what legally should be allowed to purchase is clearly a contentious one. I would back legislation to ban anything that can be used to cause the loss of life and injuries this or previous attacks before them caused. Whether that is bump stocks, silencers or semi-automatic weapons which can be converted to automatic operation.

It's clear most on this site are gun owners, I'm sure are all responsible owners, it's properly locked and used safely and responsibly. My problem is that someone just like you, no someone exactly like you, once a very responsible gun owner, well respected, a great guy according to all the neighbors, suddenly losses is job, his wife, his truck, his health, his self respect and then one night after a half a bottle of booze hatches a plan to make a statement and grab his 15 minutes of fame. Hopefully it's never someone we know, but it's always someone, someone knows.

Hope your indoor range has some good filtration, that stuff you breath will kill you.