Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Placing & Epoxying Weights Prior to Turning

Just wanted to share a tip I sometimes employ to help create perfectly-level epoxy fill in belly weight holes.

For some patterns I place the belly weights in the blank prior to turning. I use thinned epoxy to fill these holes, as it penetrates well and is relatively bubble-free.

Once cured, I cut/sand the blank and I'm left with perfectly-level epoxied holes. This can help with the fill/sand process if you like everything flush before priming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	51802  
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
pbadad

Eric I've done this on a few designs. I poured the lead into the cavity at a predetermined depth. One thing when getting the same and proper weight is that the wood has to be perfectly sized for each. prefer to plane the wood prior to this procedure. Sounds anal but when doing swimmers a few grams count. On big needles not so much. I did experience poured lead flying out of the wood when spinning. Epoxy weights in wood keeps them in. I did a drilled hole then took a bottoming tap to put threads in hole to secure lead. Worked fine but the finish product (smooth surface) still needs filler do to the half thread left at the top. Don't hold me to this but I think Beachmster pours lead in blank b/4 turning. If I get a chance at the CSA meeting I will ask Bob from Beachmaster about this. He is our guest speaker. Nice idea Eric.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Eric Roach
Big E

Thanks for checking with BM, please let me know.

A couple of tips: Although 5 minute epoxy is quicker to cure, it contains a lot of bubbles, which leave pock marks when turned, requiring fill. Thinned epoxy is best.

Sand paper will cut into softwoods more than the epoxy, which can leave them raised. Don't over-sand.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
lazzyone

I turn my plug (dont sand), then add weight and after the epoxy cures I put it back on the lathe to sand. Just have to add, make sure your lead is secured well in your plug. Having lead shoot out at high rpms would not be fun.
lazzyone is offline   Reply With Quote