Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #31
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Can we please get a little props for the defense. The defense was a major reason Lebron and the Cavs had such a tough go of it. I am sick of hearing about he had a bad series and they, Cavs, didn't play up to their potential . Lebron this and Lebron that. The D had a lot to do with it.
Looking forward to the next round. Going to be a tough series but I wouldn't put it past them to win.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #32
Saltheart

I thought Lebron played well. almost 30 points and 20 rebounds , 10 assists. Can't expect more than that from a guy. The Celtics are just a better team. Pierce was in foul trouble from the get go on cheap calls I thought. His fourth foul was invisible! He played good for the time he had but I think he maybe got 10 minutes?

KG played really well on both ends. Orlando may be the team that beat them last year but last year they didn't have KG. I think it changes everything. Should be a good series .

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I thought Lebron played well. almost 30 points and 20 rebounds , 10 assists. Can't expect more than that from a guy. The Celtics are just a better team. Pierce was in foul trouble from the get go on cheap calls I thought. His fourth foul was invisible! He played good for the time he had but I think he maybe got 10 minutes?

KG played really well on both ends. Orlando may be the team that beat them last year but last year they didn't have KG. I think it changes everything. Should be a good series .
Turnovers are killer in the playoffs and Lebron had like 10 or something like that. That almost negates hi scoring. Pierce is going to have to to show up at some point if they're going to have a shot agains the Magic.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #34
FishermanTim

One real positive is the skill and intensity level that Perkins, Davis and Tony Allen have risen to in this series. Even with Pierce having an off night the offense stepped up and the defense had Lebron's number for most of the night.

Bring on Orlando!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #35
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Perk plays Howard very well (if they allow him to play). Tony Allen's energy was huge against the Cavs.

I don't see a huge series for Pierce. Matt Barnes plays him very tough, almost as well as Artest does and we know how that is. Artest is in his head ever since he pulled his shorts down.

That said, this is a series the Celts can win.

We beat "D-Wade" and "The King/Chosen One/MVP/blah blah blah".
Now it's time to kill "Superman"
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #36
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Nelson will play a major role too and they didn't have a healthy him last year. It will be close.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Can we please get a little props for the defense. The defense was a major reason Lebron and the Cavs had such a tough go of it. I am sick of hearing about he had a bad series and they, Cavs, didn't play up to their potential . Lebron this and Lebron that. The D had a lot to do with it.
Looking forward to the next round. Going to be a tough series but I wouldn't put it past them to win.
Totally agree.

And I forgot the KUDOS to T.A.. Man hes got energy and brings it to the unit on the court.

I noticed that the "talking heads" could not stop talking about Lebron the WHOLE FREAKIN GAME........ Geeeeezzzzz.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #38
Slipknot
Super Moderator

glad to see the Celts win
ya all the slobbering and lovefest over Labron reminds me too mush of all the Brett Favre buttkissing attention whoring

I agree Paul
Props to D
big difference this years playoffs with a healthy KG
and Rondo a year more experience
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #39
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

nice. seat squirmier at end but i'll take it. Their defense is relentless although I think they were getting tired at the end, they ain't sprig chickens anymore.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #40
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
nice. seat squirmier at end but i'll take it. Their defense is relentless although I think they were getting tired at the end, they ain't sprig chickens anymore.
Totally agree....Orlando is a pretty young team.

How old is D Howard? Like 25 or so??

The edge of my seat is worn from the last series..have to get a new one.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
slow eddie
slow eddie

a win is a win. especially when it neutralises a home court advantage.
c's in 6. beat l.a.

put them back alive. i do have grandkids.
as your hair gets whiter, your gear gets lighter.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #42
Saltheart

Should be interesting tonight. The last game I think the Celtics caught them flat footed. The Celts come off a very intense level of play with Cleveland while Orlando had an easy series. I think the Celts were way jacked up in the level playoff level of play while Orlando was just playing normal. I think tonight Orlando will be jacked up too and it should be a good game.

To me Howard needs different coaching or to play with and be mentored by some older centers. He's physically talented but he just doesn'y know how to use his size and strength well.

I agree the Celtics bench is huge. They allow KG to rest often and yet not fall too far behind in the scoring. Then he comes out fresh and drives in the coffin nails.

Rondo is still the wildcard. He's capable of ripping the game wide open if he plays smart. This should be a great game to watch tonight!

Saltheart
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #43
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Should be interesting tonight. The last game I think the Celtics caught them flat footed. The Celts come off a very intense level of play with Cleveland while Orlando had an easy series. I think the Celts were way jacked up in the level playoff level of play while Orlando was just playing normal. I think tonight Orlando will be jacked up too and it should be a good game.

To me Howard needs different coaching or to play with and be mentored by some older centers. He's physically talented but he just doesn'y know how to use his size and strength well.

I agree the Celtics bench is huge. They allow KG to rest often and yet not fall too far behind in the scoring. Then he comes out fresh and drives in the coffin nails.

Rondo is still the wildcard. He's capable of ripping the game wide open if he plays smart. This should be a great game to watch tonight!
How is Rondo a wild card? He's the most consistent player on the team? I think you're stuck in 2008.

Orlando needs to get rid of those noisemakers. I'd be so embarressed by that if I lived in Orlando. At least they're not quite as obnoxious as a thunderstick.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #44
luds
Night Stalker

I stand corrected. Plenty of thundersticks in the crowd.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #45
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Couldn't have scripted this any better.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #46
Van
zoom

SHWEEEEEEEETTTTTT....

A veteren team makes those free throws (Pierce).

Vince Carter must still be crying.

Good game all around though ;lets see if they can punish them at home.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #47
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Fell asleep before the end, was happy when I woke this morning. Just watched the highlights. Awesome effort. Rondo, the new Jr. Dr. J., Julius Errrrrrrrrrrrrving. Sorry for the Spectrum's D. Zinkoff quote, I am sure you fellow old people will remember. As far as sweep I'm not going there but sure beats being down 2 games.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #48
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Something about this team seems special again. How about this little tidbit.....This is the first time in the history of the franchise that they have gone on the road and won the first two games in the playoffs!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #49
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
...Orlando needs to get rid of those noisemakers. I'd be so embarressed by that if I lived in Orlando. At least they're not quite as obnoxious as a thunderstick.
If the league is going to go all "panty-waist" on Ainge for tossing a towel in the air, maybe they an grow a pair and address the noisemakers as well.
Let the damm guys play. If you can't take the pressure of the NBA, stick to the streetball or gym games and leave the pros to the PROS!

Remember the twit years back seated behind home plate at the games that would twirl her arms when the pitcher threw the ball?

Let them play the game.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #50
Saltheart

I still think Rondo is a wild card. One night 30 , the next 17 , he plays great then all of a sudden he does something really stupid. He's way better than he was in 2008 of course but i think he will get even better in the next wto years and more predictable as far as game to game performances.

I think Davis and Perkins are doing a great job. so are Tony Allen and Wallace. The good bench allows the big stars to sit for a while and to go in and out as fouls start adding up. this ensures they will be on the floor for the last 3 to 5 minutes when anything can happen.

Overall , I think the Celtics just own the magic and hope they sweep in 4 and get some rest before LA.

Saltheart
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #51
luds
Night Stalker

[QUOTE=Saltheart;768889]I still think Rondo is a wild card. One night 30 , the next 17 , he plays great then all of a sudden he does something really stupid. He's way better than he was in 2008 of course but i think he will get even better in the next wto years and more predictable as far as game to game performances.
[QUOTE]

I agree that his scoring is a bit of a wild card but they don't count on that. He gives a solid performance seemingly every night. The great ones contribute in anyway their teams them to. To me Rondo is already does that.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #52
slow eddie
slow eddie

rondo just plain scares them with his speed. a one man fast break. he appears to totally in charge on the floor. directing traffic, etc.
same as the clevland series. they have the best player, boston has the next 4.

put them back alive. i do have grandkids.
as your hair gets whiter, your gear gets lighter.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #53
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
I still think Rondo is a wild card. One night 30 , the next 17 , he plays great then all of a sudden he does something really stupid. He's way better than he was in 2008 of course but i think he will get even better in the next wto years and more predictable as far as game to game performances.
I really think he is there now. His stupid plays are pretty rare now and his spectacular plays are becoming the norm. I really can't find much to complain about with his performance nowadays. They nor any of the teams they have faced so far have no answer for him.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #54
Saltheart

By wildcard I'm not saying Bad vs good. I'm saying good vs Spectacular. When he's Spectacular , nobody will beat the Celtics. When he's good , we need someone else to have a big night like one of the big 3.

So anyway , we all agree Rondo is really good. I'm just saying I see him becoming a superstar in a couple of years.

Saltheart
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #55
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
By wildcard I'm not saying Bad vs good. I'm saying good vs Spectacular. When he's Spectacular , nobody will beat the Celtics. When he's good , we need someone else to have a big night like one of the big 3.

So anyway , we all agree Rondo is really good. I'm just saying I see him becoming a superstar in a couple of years.
WTF..........HE'S ALWAYS SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Not sure why I'm so commited to defending Rondo. I agree that he will need to be special if they are to top the Lakers. I don't think they need him so much against orlando. The bigs and Pierce are owning them so far.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #56
Van
zoom

WOW......

What did Pierce say??

ANYONE GOT A BROOM ?

It's really good when a team gets better as the advance through the playoffs. Watch out LA

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #57
Saltheart

What slaughter last night! I'm glad they won but I want to see a game , not a slaughter. Plan the whole day to be able to watch them at night and then you end up channel surfaing the 4 th quarter while the scubs run out the minutes with a 30 point lead.

I hope they sweep and have some time to rest before LA. We got some oldies on our team and the rest really helps them.

Saltheart
Old 05-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #58
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Allowed me to fall asleep early so I could get up at 4 today. friggin clinic out there last several games. This team's defense is making them look silly. Please don't let your foot off pedal.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #59
Van
zoom

Look on a Milk Carton

I think Rondo was kidnapped, he sure was not at the game last night.
Hope he's alright, I heard some talk about an injury.

I have plans Wednesday night, I'll probably miss the game.

They all looked tired by the end of the game and the OT.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #60
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Missed opportunity at the end of regulation.

Rondo had two fouls early, Orlando showed up ready to play.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote