Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #121
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
But weren't surfsters originally designed for flat water thats why no weight and alot of roll?So when you bring it in slowly it has that wounded baitfish action.
yep..and do the tagger hydro on these for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
Small polaris poppersAlso i am starting to finish up some bannna plugs given to me by the late Al Bentson.
you struck gold!

lu
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #122
eastendlu

Wheres Salty i wanted to show him the new motor i got for my spinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19394gerbil_wheellg.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	37152  

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #123
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
The original after the only night it was ever fished..
i have two of your second or third generation of those...great plugs!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #124
the greek

Good morning all. Been finishing up some stuff. I'm pretty much done fishing for the year so it's little things like this that help pass time. Nice to get to see what others are up to.

the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #125
Backbeach Jake

No wonder...I was always under the impression that surfsters were for surf...no wonder mine swam like crap. That and all I know about them is their name.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #126
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Looking like a wounded baitfish yeah.......but a 180 degree roll is just plain ugly. Might be great in calm, slow water but the "Prey" swims in calm water and it excells in fast moving and rough water! It works great in the canal!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #127
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Very nice, Greek. I'm giving handcarves a go this winter, too. Couple roughed out so far.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #128
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Not a believer in hydro-orientation. I believe the belly weight (when using one) and or the weight of the hooks and hardware will offsett any wood density issues. Just my .02 cents.....no offense Tagger.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #129
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Looking like a wounded baitfish yeah.......but a 180 degree roll is just plain ugly. Might be great in calm, slow water but the "Prey" swims in calm water and it excells in fast moving and rough water! It works great in the canal!!
That is whats great about making custom plugs you tailor them to suit your needs.Fishing on the North Shore of L.I. (Sound side) water is flat most nights surfsters do great in these conditions.Larry i don't have one of your prey swimmers we will have to trade so i can try one out.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #130
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Greek what kind of eyes are those? Can you post a pic of a few on the table?

Nice handcarve! I gotta try that!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #131
eastendlu

Hello Ted Nice handcarve

Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #132
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I owe you one Lou! Lets swap then! I need a Lou plug!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #133
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Hello, I went to church and prayed for Paul's gastroenterologist. Hope the guy has a good face mask.

Gee Lu, a bridgeport couldn't fix that tooth for you? Them dentists will put a hole in your plug buying budget.

Speaking of keels, anybody here ever seen a Shakespeare Egyptian Wobbler? They made a "striper" version. The plug has a keel fin (a lot of their plugs did). Thinking I might try one for fun.

As for lips and roll, the wider the lip relative to the width of the plug, the more the problem. The lower the line tie the more it is magnified, but high line ties pull a plug deeper.

Many guys these days build "dannys" using fat bodies for buoyancy, underweight them, then use a high slot lip to pull it down and get it working. Makes for an impressive surface wake and a fast action. The originals have a lot of weight in them (10-12 grams for a medium), less bulbous midsections (less buoyancy) and low slot lips. They sit lower in the water and work at slower speeds than much of the new stuff. Even the Beachmaster dannys are now fatter than their original version (and the Pichneys).

Not sure the fish care, but I like dannys/donnys long with a slow wag and that start working at the slowest speed I can stand. As Fred pointed out, sometimes letting them sit and barely moving them is the best method, but it takes a better man than me to cast a plug out there then not start retrieving it right away.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #134
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

her i am Moe. Sucks Lou. I'm a little under the weather today and i only got a few hours till I have to drink the drain O for tomorrow. I'm friggin staving.
Larry those look great.
I had the pleasure of Numby stopping by the shop this week to drop off some real nice older plugs for me to measure and look at.
Yesterday I traveled up to Reading to spend the afternoon with Joe, Rockfish9. He has a great shop and I learned a lot as he was gracious enough to make a few of his darters for me and I was able to watch and learn. Left with some nice plugs too. Joe is a very generous person and I had a great time talking about plugs, fixtures, and dust collection and most of all fishing. Joe is one hell of a fisherman and has been at it for a long time. Been building his own plugs for a long time too. We had some good laughs too.
Thats about it. Did some turning this week but not enough to mention.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #135
Karl F

Quote:
Not a believer in hydro-orientation. I believe the belly weight (when using one) and or the weight of the hooks and hardware will offsett any wood density issues. Just my .02 cents.....no offense Tagger.
took a long time, but i converted... i have some "commercial" and "Non-commercial" wooden plugs that don't sit right in the water, or swim properly... and the weight of the hooks, hardware etc. did not correct the issues... by taking these plugs and dissecting them and the issues they had individually... hydro would have cured most of the ills... once all hardware and weights removed..and just dropped the wood in a bucket... well seeing is believing the float test told the tale, before and after...
also proper weight placement ...tail weights have to be dead on center...(belly weights too, but that is a given)
i have a commercial made (no names and never will reveal so no PM's please ) pencil that sits with the belly hook almost full out of water...will not correct on retrieve either... easy culprit to ID...tail weight is way off center , so plugs lays about 100 degrees out...
no quality control in that shop.....

never say never Larry.. and i'm freaking bull-headed...but i converted.. i'm drinking the hydro now..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #136
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL.

I too am trying to do some old style dannies this year, thinner heavier ones like G stated. We will see if they work any good.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #137
pbadad

Talk to you all Next week. Have to finish the bathroom grout work , set up a rod and turn some Atom jrs.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #138
the greek

Here you go Larry. I just buy the clear ones and paint my own.

the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #139
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Presto...an egyptian wobbler......not mine, sad to say. Cool plug. A stabilzer and interesting head/lip idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	egyptianwobbler.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	37153  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #140
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
took a long time, but i converted... i have some "commercial" and "Non-commercial" wooden plugs that don't sit right in the water, or swim properly... and the weight of the hooks, hardware etc. did not correct the issues... by taking these plugs and dissecting them and the issues they had individually... hydro would have cured most of the ills... once all hardware and weights removed..and just dropped the wood in a bucket... well seeing is believing the float test told the tale, before and after...
also proper weight placement ...tail weights have to be dead on center...(belly weights too, but that is a given)
i have a commercial made (no names and never will reveal so no PM's please ) pencil that sits with the belly hook almost full out of water...will not correct on retrieve either... easy culprit to ID...tail weight is way off center , so plugs lays about 100 degrees out...
no quality control in that shop.....

never say never Larry.. and i'm freaking bull-headed...but i converted.. i'm drinking the hydro now..
I made some special step drills at work for this exact thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #141
eastendlu

Quote:
I owe you one Lou! Lets swap then! I need a Lou plug!
Larry i know what you want pick one and the others are going to the Jimmy Z auction on the other site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rmpics.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	37154  

Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #142
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Karl its all good. We all have our methods and I respect the hydro method. Its what makes building interesting and challenging. Thats why we are here this morning....talking ideas, methods and theories!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #143
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I like the middle.....I call it "Bumble Bee". I have a Danny painted the same way! Thats generous of you Lou! Have any choices on colors for your "Prey"?

Thanks Greek!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #144
eastendlu

How's about mullet?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #145
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Blue or Silver?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #146
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Presto...an egyptian wobbler......not mine, sad to say. Cool plug. A stabilzer and interesting head/lip idea.

WOW... George...any other shots of that one...top...bottom...keel..

dimensions?

that is most pissah....

walk like an egyptian.......... ...... ....... .....
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #147
eastendlu

Quote:
Blue or Silver?
Tough one ok Blue please and thanks Larry.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #148
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post

WOW... George...any other shots of that one...top...bottom...keel..

dimensions?

that is most pissah....

walk like an egyptian.......... ...... ....... .....
I am also interested in seeing this.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #149
eastendlu

Looks like a deep swimming plug.You guys kill me with all your knowledge and access to these old plugs.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #150
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I have to seal a few Lou....none ready for paint right now. Gonna be a few weeks...that ok?