Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Van
zoom

Hydroseeding

Anyone have experience with having this done, I have to redo the backyard at Mom's house and regular seed is too slow, I think sod is too expensive.

Does hydro grow quick?
It is sturdy?
Any suggestions for contacts south of boston?

Any help is appreciated.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
Flaptail

Smile

Van, I am a Superintendent of facilities and construction. When at all possible seed is the best to establish root zone growth but it is a chore with watering and such. Hydro-seeding is quick and fast but the results just don't stand up as compared with seeding the lawn. Sod is the last resort.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

I've always had better results doing a new seeding in the Fall than in the Spring.

In the Spring, if you have a greenfield to plant it's always better to start as soon as the frost stops - like April.

I'm not sure hydro seeding really carries any incremental benefit other than ease of application - you can basically get the same ingredients at your local home and garden place.

So I'm biased towards using a drop spreader.

Prep the soil by thoroughly raking (get rocks and stuff out).

Water, and add nutrients as necessary (lime, starter fertilizer).

Then drop seed with a spreader (rotary for larger areas), and work into the soil with a rake. For faster results, don't be stingy with the seed but don't drop so much you'll get crowded out areas.

You can also get the green nutrient enriched ground-up newspaper mulch to cover up the lawn when it gets wet, which is important when it gets hot.

Drawback of a spring seeding is that you can't use crabgrass pre-emergent (it will prevent grass seedlings from growing), so don't use any weed inhibitors on a new project.

You might still have some time - you just have to keep the soil moist.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Van
zoom

I'll set up sprinklers on a timer to keep it watered well.

WW: What is green nutrient enriched ground-up newspaper mulch ???? Available at stores????
Sounds like a good idea, putting something over the seed to hold moisture...

I have to check prices too, mom will pay, but she'll freak if its too expensive..Seed is cheapest for sure.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
Casper
Here one day - gone next!

Hi Van,

Depending on the size of the area, I have seen some people put berlap material over the area after seeding, keep the birds off and helps with the moisture.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
beachwalker
Below Me

Van,

Hydro works. Not as established as seeded the first to seasons but if you thatch and seed through the season, particularly in the Fall it gets better.

Way better than sod.
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Van
WW: What is green nutrient enriched ground-up newspaper mulch ???? Available at stores????
Sounds like a good idea, putting something over the seed to hold moisture...
Van, check out your local Wal-Mart, I think that's where I got some last season.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
partsjay
Let's Rock!

If you have any kind of lawn now you can rent a over-seeder, those work good and plant seed into the ground.If you need a completely new lawn than this won't work.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
STEVE IN MASS

Burlap is okay, but Remay spun bonded fabric is much better (though more expensive).

Burlap will keep the birds off and the moisture in, but doesn't allow much sunlight to penetrate.

The remay does the same thing, but sunlight can get thru it. I use it in my vegetable garden (though more to keep insects off of things like brocolli, cabbage, carrots, etc.....)

Short of that, as far as the birds, just seed heavy.....they will have theirs, and there will still be enough to give you a good lawn.
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
Van
zoom

This lawn is garbage ther is mostly dirt showing, I'm going to rent a tiller and dig-up and clean the whole thing. Also gotta clear some brush and cut down a small apple tree.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming !!!!!!!!!!!

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Mr. Sandman

It works great and is worth every penny. That hydroseed will grow grass on a rock. But you need decent soil for it to last.

I supplement the hydroseed with a bag of your own and fert with that scotts new seed fert. You will have an amazing lawn in a couple weeks. You need to water the hell out of it.

Fall is best..no dowbt as if you do not have a decent soil that can hold moisture, the summer sun will fry those tender blades of grass.

I just had a section of my yard done two weeks ago...in 5 days grass was growing...in 8-10 days you can barely see any soil.. in 14-21 days you have grass. You need to keep it wet all the time.

Make SURE your happy with the soil Prep before you seed. THIS is the secret to a healthy lawn IMO, Good soil.

The problem with seed is you need to PLANT it for it to grow. You just cant toss it in the top and expect it to grow great. You need to bury it. Hydroseed combines a multch with fert and seed and is is planted when it gets sprayed on. So right befor the guy comes to hydro seed...spread some seed around and let him spray over that.

Sharpen that mower blade my friend!
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #12
chris L

how about the plastic grass fabric you can buy at home dirtpile .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #13
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by chris L
how about the plastic grass fabric you can buy at home dirtpile .

Shes 82 years old and probably wont know the difference !!!
Tell her its the new "no water needed grass" high tech ya know...

HEY,,,I could also just pave it over and "seal in the nutrients" !!!

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Mr. Sandman

pave it, paint it green. It looks great from a distance
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
MakoMike

I had it done last year over a patch of ground that had been dug up. I had a guy come in and power rake the srea to get the stones out and level it and then he hydroseeded the area. Worked great. Came up fast, looked good all summer and now has greened up to the point where it looks great again. Its expensive, there are cheaper alternatives, but if you want it fast and easy that's the way to go.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #16
CAL
I need spring!

I don't like the hydro. My father had his whole yard done last year. Brought in new soil for the front yard and hydroseeded it and this year only about 60% grass now, rest is just dirt. I warned him about that cuz I've seen some really bad hydro jobs.
Good thing is he has a warranty for the work because the landscaper has to re-do it. They have to replace some of the trees and stuff too cuz they're already dead.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:39 AM   #17
Raven

Arrow pre germinate your seed

soak it in a 5 gallon bucket then wait a day or two til it plumps up then spread it on an old door window screen to partially dry it out so you can broadcast spread it again .... all grass seed does best if it has firm contact with the soil. establish this using a water filled roller and plant 4 0r five days before the full moon. Wham!
lawn
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:26 AM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
When I was at Cornell in NY they redid a whole bunch of sidewalks then hydroseeded the dirt areas.

I swear to god grass grew overnight...

Must be them pesky microbiology students making the grass glow

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #19
Van
zoom

Got a couple of quotes, and they were quite high. No-one would offer a garantee. she ain't daddy warbucks, so....

I think I'm gonna do my best to till the soil, kill the weeds, fertilize, seed and water, and keep my fingers crossed......

Wish me luck....

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 06-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #20
fishsmith
DDG-51

We had about a 1/4 acre hydroseeded 5 years ago after a new septic went in. The grass grew fast with no problems and looked great, but 5 years later the ratio of grass to weeds is closing in on 50/50. I'm using seed now on the bare spots and I'll over seed the yard for the next couple years to see if that helps.
Good Luck.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #21
Raven

Arrow probably they use......

a vitamin B-1 vitamin root stimulant that increases root growth x 100 but so does a big bunch of Willow tree cuttings (water)when left in a 5 gallon bucket to grow roots... works in the same way....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote