Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
teaser
Wave Jumper

Magnets In Motor

Hi guys I thought I'd bounce this off someone with some knowledge here about outboard motors, I have a 1991 Evinrude VRO 200 HP outboard and ran into a little problem and maybe I an get some advice from the pros.

Here's the problem:

I gassed the boat up (ouch) and got it ready to launch Saturday and went through all the usual checklist items like new plugs, check all wires & filters, etc... and after everything was good to go (I still had the cowel off the motor) I turn the key and just as it starts to turn over something flies out from the motor. I shut down quick and go see what it was and 10 feet from the motor I find a 2 inch piece of a curved magnet and after further inspection I see that it flew out from under the flywheel. I removed the flywheel to get at the rest of the broken pieces and find that there is 7 magnets here but I also see that 4 have been broken and damaged because the epoxy that held them wore off or broke down.

Now I ordered the replacement magnets and they came in but what I want to know is this an easy fix? By easy fix I mean is it as easy as it seems to repair this problem or am I opening a can of worms? The replacement kits cost $175.00 versus the replacement flywheel which ran $1,000.00 so I opted for the kits. I cleaned all the remaining epoxy from the flywheel and it's as good as new so should I try the repair myself or go to my mechanic? It looks like the magnets were just applied with epoxy to the back of the magnet and where they contact the underside of the flywheel.

Thanks in advance for the tips or advice, I want to get the boat out there so I can get Raven out for a little R&R since he's been having it tough lately.

Thanks and tight lines guys!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Adam_777

Not sure about this one.I'd reinstall them and run it.Do they engage something like a transmission ? Are they counter weights ?
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Raven

Question i would think

that the placement (or balance)
of them would have to be perfect
on the flywheel

or else you'll end up with a vibration.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
FishermanTim

Are there any marks left from the old epoxy to give you an idea where to reinstall them?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
teaser
Wave Jumper

Hi guys,

I just did the flywheel repair, seemed pretty easy but tomorrow will tell when I put it back on the motor and fire it up.

Turns out that there is "6" magnets not 7 like I thought so I have an extra one, the extra space I thought was a space for a magnet turned out to be the spacing between the magnets ... 7/16ths of an inch to be exact. I have them all epoxied in and have to let it set for 24 hours before I can put it back and see how it works (if it works), oh GOD I hope it works!

Thanks for the interest guys in helping and I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow, and Raven ... if it's all good then you'll be hearing from me soon for a boat trip, I also need the trip to try and loosen up the kidney stone I have so maybe the damn thing will come out before the doc wants to go get it.

Tight lines guys!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Adam_777

I'm thinking they act like vibration dampners .She'll probably run nice and smooth alot less vibrations.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Adam_777

Any updates on the flying magnets ?
Old 06-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
freebie

the magnets are part of the ignition system, don't see many fall out but it can happen, not a big deal to replace them yourself, sould be all set as long as you put them in the right places
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote