Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

RHODE ISLAND STATE PARKS AND BEACHES CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY

WHAT THE F#*K......Just when they are starting to come

RHODE ISLAND STATE PARKS AND BEACHES CLOSED
DUE TO COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY

PROVIDENCE – The Department of Environmental Management (DEM) announces the temporary closure of Rhode Island state parks and beaches due to the COVID-19 public health crisis. To protect public safety, all state parks and beaches, along with their parking areas, will be closed beginning Friday, April 3, until further notice.

“It is hard to close our beautiful state parks and beaches, but absolutely necessary,” said DEM Director Janet Coit. “Protecting public health is paramount, and that means adhering to social distancing and restricting access to public places where any groups might gather – such as parks and beaches.”

The public must abide by these rules by refraining from visiting these areas. DEM Environmental Police Officers and DEM Parks’ staff will continue to monitor state parks and beaches for compliance. If people are blatantly ignoring the new rules – if they choose to congregate at state parks and beaches, or if they’re not complying with the physical distancing rules – they may be cited if actions and behavior are not corrected.

For now, the DEM-managed bike paths – the Blackstone River Bikeway, the East Bay Bike Path, Washington Secondary Bike Path – and the state management areas will remain open. This is a situation that DEM will be monitoring very closely. We ask that people avoid these bike paths if they are crowded and maintain social distancing on all bike paths and trails.

DEM also announces additional updates, as follows:

The opening of Rhode Island state campgrounds is delayed until at least May 1st.

The opening of the Great Swamp Shooting Range in West Kingston is delayed until at least May 1st. New information on the opening date will be provided when appropriate safeguards can be put in place.

The Goddard Park Golf Course is closed until further notice, and new rules and practices may be put into effect when the course is opened.

For state parks, all reservations of pavilions, picnic sites, fields and other areas are on hold until further notice.

Opening Day of the trout-fishing season will not occur on its traditional date, which in a normal year would occur Saturday, April 11. DEM is still working out a plan to modify Opening Day. As soon as we have a plan in place, we will announce it.

DEM manages over 64,000 acres of land, only 7,400 of which are state parks. Closing state parks will put pressure on other public areas and conservation lands. To ensure adequate social distancing and avoid groups of more than five from congregating, people should not get in their car and drive to recreate. Instead, they should take their walks close to home with their family. “During the weeks ahead, I ask that people recreate close to home – in their backyards, on their stoop, and during a walk around the block. I encourage and recommend limiting your time outdoors to local outings and backyard adventures,” Director Coit said.

In order to determine the opening dates for recreational facilities, DEM will continue to work very closely with the Governor and Dr. Alexander-Scott and her team at the Rhode Island Department of Health for guidance on this issue. In the meantime, DEM will continue with our preparations for getting our parks and beaches ready for the season.

While state facilities are closed, DEM reminds Rhode Islanders to be safe when they engage in physical activity in their local communities and to take the necessary precautions. People are encouraged to recreate close to home – in their backyards, on their stoop, and during a walk around the block. Together with partners, DEM has developed a list of 50 fun, nature-based activities that Rhode Islanders can engage in at home or in their backyards, or local neighborhoods. The activities are for all ages and can be done individually or with family members. The complete list is available online in both English and Spanish, and includes apps and virtual learning opportunities, reading and educator resources, DIY and home projects, and outdoor activities.

“I ask you to respect the closure and stay away from state parks and beaches,” Director Coit noted. “This closure is temporary, and part of our having to adjust to a “new normal” practically every day.”

DEM advises everyone to follow guidance about COVID-19 from Governor Raimondo and the Rhode Island Department of Health. More information about COVID-19 and Rhode Island’s response can be found here: https://health.ri.gov/diseases/ncov2019/

For updates on the DEM closures, visit http://www.dem.ri.gov/.

For information on DEM programs and initiatives, visit www.dem.ri.gov. *
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
fishgolf

Here we go... can Mass be far behind??
RI golf courses remain open? Mass's are closed...
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Vermont’s golf courses are closed theoretically but I already paid, they are still mowing, and what the #^&#^&#^&#^& are they going to do to me
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Vermont’s golf courses are closed theoretically but I already paid, they are still mowing, and what the #^&#^&#^&#^& are they going to do to me
Spoken like a true Trumper.👍🏿

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:29 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
We are suppose to start mowing at Franklin on Monday. Waiting to hear if we are still on. I know the grass keeps growing regardless if the virus.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Members were allowed to play touch free (no carts, cups raised to prevent holing out so no flags are touched) until the order from the governor and yesterday they sent out a reminder and warning members caught playing will be suspended. I don’t get it, 1-4 guys can easily play and always keep the social distancing required. To loose an entire month su*cks so bad. Might have to schedule a road trip to RI before they do something similar.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Members were allowed to play touch free (no carts, cups raised to prevent holing out so no flags are touched) until the order from the governor and yesterday they sent out a reminder and warning members caught playing will be suspended. I don’t get it, 1-4 guys can easily play and always keep the social distancing required. To loose an entire month su*cks so bad. Might have to schedule a road trip to RI before they do something similar.
Mass- Staying home means: Only leave your home to address essential needs, get some fresh air and exercise, and if you do, avoid unnecessary contact with other individuals.

RI- Stay At Home: The Governor has issued a stay-at-home order until April 13. This means that all Rhode Islanders should stay home unless getting food, medicine, gas, or going to work.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Every day I watch couples, small groups walk by my house, when we played golf before the shut down we keep our distance, we didn’t touch flags and didn’t even get close enough for the after round elbow bump, safer than the people walking my street or the small groups walking the beach. I get it, it’s just frustrating because we were being responsive and safe, it blows to loose it.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Sea Dangles

🧀
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Every day I watch couples, small groups walk by my house, when we played golf before the shut down we keep our distance, we didn’t touch flags and didn’t even get close enough for the after round elbow bump, safer than the people walking my street or the small groups walking the beach. I get it, it’s just frustrating because we were being responsive and safe, it blows to loose it.
they don't make the rules for people that are being responsive and safe, those people are staying home...they make the rules for people that aren't....the people that are walking my neighborhood together live together so it's all together different...they put yellow tape on the basketball court up the street from me...I could go up there and shoot air balls with a friend each using our own basketballs and be responsive and safe but they don't consider that when they made the decision to tape off the court....the hundreds of Mass plates at Colt State Park in Bristol RI last weekend were a pretty good indication that they needed to do something
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
fishgolf

Buddies of mine drove down to Metacomet CC to play today... too cold!
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I always enjoyed a round or two of winter golf at Newport National until they decided winter fees should be like our summer fees.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
Steve K

Sounds like these restrictions will give the schoolies a break. Rather. Lose the spring than the summer.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote