Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #31
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Still $1.74 up here Mike.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Saw a $1.59 yesterday
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #33
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Got the oil tank topped off. $2.09/gallon

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #34
rphud
GrandBob

got bored, went back to work on an "essential" project for the time being, just have to dodge the RI State Police at the border (taking the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed - tip of the hat to Lowell George)

cheapist I have seen was $1.89 in New London, but I get the impression there are some out there lower than that, good thing since I am in a rental 2500 Ram these days at 15mpg.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #35
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Since we are all cooking (and getting larger) at home, may I suggest you look at some Premium Brachia Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Croatia brought in by our friend Zeno at adriaticgourmet.com It is really good. I was instructed to reorder, this time the 750ml size as we can go through the 250 ml pretty quickly...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #36
Zeno

haha, that's great. I think you got next to last 750ML bottle in stock till this winter. It is what it is....first time on unemployment in 32 years. Passing time cooking and getting bigger. ..eh could be a lot worst. The risaa cancelation hurt from the standpoint of seeing a lot of friends

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #37
BMEUPSCOTTY

Just started it yesterday. Still considered essential, but they just gave us two weeks of free sick leave, dr's note required, but basically carte blanche.. We were waiting as long as we could, but seems like the time is right. We can take some of our own time after that, and can maybe afford a little lwop if we have to. I am as worried about the aftermath as anyone, but if you don't survive first what's the point? Stay safe everyone..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #38
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
haha, that's great. I think you got next to last 750ML bottle in stock till this winter. It is what it is....first time on unemployment in 32 years. Passing time cooking and getting bigger. ..eh could be a lot worst. The risaa cancelation hurt from the standpoint of seeing a lot of friends
Z, I got he last of the small bottles last month as the bigs were gone. What's left. shoot me an email. I've gone thru 3 of the 4 small bottles I got last time.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #39
MakoMike

I'm kinda in isolation in my house. Only time I've been out in a month is to visit a friend who is also in voluntary isolation. My niece has been doing my food shopping for me. I could use some more booze, maybe I'll do the curbside thing next time I go out. Meanwhile, Gina won't let me cross the border to get to my boat! The boatyard is open but I can't get there!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #40
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Meanwhile, Gina won't let me cross the border to get to my boat! The boatyard is open but I can't get there!
Can you get someone from Rhode Island to drag it across the border for you? That might be a work around.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #41
Rmarsh

I've been working from home....my son drops in a couple of times a week for some short hikes.
This is the remains of an old girl scout camp.....up in the woods behind my house. Looks like the fireplace is still in use.
I held on to a dead tree while trying to cross a stream......tree broke and i fell into the water. I asked him why he didnt get a picture.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #42
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I’ve always enjoyed avoiding people 😬
Been laying real low, like snake’s belly in a wagon rut low.
Did manage 2 quick hits at a nearby pond, and found superb fishing. Lot’s of high quality trout. I just hope the ponds can support the amount of fish put in them...we’ll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5223DD94-3413-4CDD-A60A-FE54A216B330.jpeg (258.6 KB, 32 views)

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #43
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I wonder if they're closing the GI bridge to fishing, with squid around the corner, the NY/CT/MA guys are out. That will give RI'ers the entire bridge... even if it's just 5 guys at a time , (with the others waiting in their cars for the rotation of course). I'm sure you'll see a police presence there...

Curious to hear how that's going to play out.
Are boat ramps closed in RI? Even those not in State parks?

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #44
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
I wonder if they're closing the GI bridge to fishing, with squid around the corner, the NY/CT/MA guys are out. That will give RI'ers the entire bridge... even if it's just 5 guys at a time , (with the others waiting in their cars for the rotation of course). I'm sure you'll see a police presence there...

Curious to hear how that's going to play out.
Are boat ramps closed in RI? Even those not in State parks?

No. Will still be mobbed.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #45
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Even though we had three days of decent weather, I used two to get some sealer on all the carvings I had done and a bench I'm refinishing, but yesterday I finally got back out on the water. It was a beautiful day, the eagles were flying on occasion, the big pickeral were everywhere and with water temperatures finally climbing into the low fifties, a couple nice smallies decided to come shallow to feed. Near the end of the day a pickeral took a hair jig deep and wasn't going to make it, so I gave him a chuck suspecting the eagle sitting on top of a pine a couple hundred yards away might take interest. Once I moved to a distance he felt safe coming down for dinner, I got a good look with the binoculars as he took the pickeral back to the nest.

ps to John: I've asked before and haven't got the answer. I post first uploading this picture and didn't preview and notice on posting the picture is upside down. I go back, open the picture in paint, rotate (even though it looks fine) 90 degrees twice to correct, delete original, upload again even though it's now upside down and it posts upside down. I delete pic, open in paint rotate back to the way it was originally, upload again and it's now perfect. So why does this happen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1880.jpg (222.6 KB, 19 views)
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #46
scottw

that's a nice fish^^^!....got out on the paddle board yesterday...got to ride the current in the outflow, collect some conchs and watch a couple of oyster catcher pairs doing their thing....tog soon hopefully...thankful to have water so close
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM   #47
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Here are a couple pieces I finished off in self confinement over the past couple nice days.

ps to John: So I upload all three, preview, all three are on their side. I go to paint, rotate each to mirror that position, even though I know it's wrong, close a save. I open each again in paint, rotate back to vertical and the original, close and save, upload again here and they are upright as they were, am I the only one seeing this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (127.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1832.jpg (160.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1831.jpg (210.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #48
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Bob... put the dang Cognac down and hold the camera the right way, problem solved....

Btw, great job with the carvings...and a great way to stay sane.

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #49
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Bob... put the dang Cognac down and hold the camera the right way, problem solved....

Btw, great job with the carvings...and a great way to stay sane.
Sane? The middle one is a stay at home self portrait.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #50
Jimbo

One thing I really miss about confinement is a good haircut. Anyone out there resort to cutting your own hair yet? Thinking about getting one of those cut your own hair kits.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #51
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Here are a couple pieces I finished off in self confinement over the past couple nice days.

ps to John: So I upload all three, preview, all three are on their side. I go to paint, rotate each to mirror that position, even though I know it's wrong, close a save. I open each again in paint, rotate back to vertical and the original, close and save, upload again here and they are upright as they were, am I the only one seeing this?
very nice
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #52
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Since we are all cooking (and getting larger) at home, may I suggest you look at some Premium Brachia Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Croatia brought in by our friend Zeno at adriaticgourmet.com It is really good. I was instructed to reorder, this time the 750ml size as we can go through the 250 ml pretty quickly...
Ross, it is absolutely the best olive oil there is. Just got 2, 500ml bottles. I went thru 4 250s in no time. No 750ML left.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #53
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
One thing I really miss about confinement is a good haircut. Anyone out there resort to cutting your own hair yet? Thinking about getting one of those cut your own hair kits.
The floobee is gonna make a huge come back. Buy stock in it now. That will help the stock market
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #54
PaulS

I keep joking to friends I'm going to get a flobee.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #55
Jenn

Quote:

oh yeah...Ive had 4 haircuts in the last week! LOL First was a little self "trim"...very timidly because I know how badly things can go, the second one was the typical over confident mistake because I got cocky after the first round, third one was begging my husband to at least make sure it was even in the back (somehow two more inches came off but I dare not complain or he'lll never do it again) and the fourth one was a follow up to the third one to blend a few things together all in all it actually isn't so bad at the moment!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Z, I got he last of the small bottles last month as the bigs were gone. What's left. shoot me an email. I've gone thru 3 of the 4 small bottles I got last time.
What is this a freaking ponzi scheme?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #57
hq2

Staying at home with cute 10 year old daughter. I’m 61; may be the only person actually enjoying this.Making each day with her count!
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #58
Rockfish9

Quote:
Me too, I has haven't had hair this long since the 70's... I told Nancy I'll put it into a man bun(just kidding her) she promised me if I did I'd wake up bald in the morning...I believe her.

On the Covid front, still working, wearing mandatory masks with a nurse at the door doing daily temp checks when we arrive..I went to store for the first time since the first week of March, the breaker on the electric stove lost a leg, so I masked up, gloved up and did the deed, left my clothes at the garage door and hit the shower immediately..

Nancy and I bottled 46 bottles of oatmeal stout last night...Saturday, we are planning on brewing a batch of Red Ale.

I moved the lobster pots out from behind the shed, I should get through checking them Sunday..covers coming off the boat this weekend..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #59
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Getting the last of the mulch spread. Cutting more dead trees and going back to work next week. Jeanne is thrilled beyond words.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #60
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Somewhat self confining but working my butt off. It is not a lot more hours than before the pace is wicked. Been to the FD 5 times and the PD once in the past 10 days for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

Bob - first - if pic2 is a self portrait - that's funny. Can't help with the rotation unless it is remembering a cached version from before (clear browser cache). They look perfect to me.

Quote:
About to buzz it all this weekend with a #5 and then his the sides with a #3 (this assumes the #5 leaves more hair than the number 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
Staying at home with cute 10 year old daughter. I’m 61; may be the only person actually enjoying this.Making each day with her count!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote