Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Sea Dangles

Rahm and his business

What do you think can be done to curtail the shooting in Chicago? This is not the America that illegals risk being sent back home for. What a disgrace this progressive run city has become.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
What do you think can be done to curtail the shooting in Chicago? This is not the America that illegals risk being sent back home for. What a disgrace this progressive run city has become.
I travel to several times each year, no worries here. A few bad neighborhoods but most big cities have those.

Chicago is usually one of the best cities in the US in most rankings.

What exactly is your beef?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Chicago has a bit lower homicide rate (24 per 100,000) than Guatemala (31.2 per 100,000), but not that much better enough to migrate there. Guatemalans might really want to stay away from Progressive cities like St. Louis (59.3/100,000), Baltimore (55.8/100,000), Detroit (39.7 per 100,000), and New Orleans (40.4/100,000). Folks from some of these cities might want to seek asylum in Guatemala.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #4
wdmso

Honestly not sure if his was legal or not legal ..

but the country has a gun volume issue... more cars more accidents more fish more caught more homes in wooded more houses on the coast areas more costly disasters More Guns more deaths by Guns its not the only reason its 1 of many I think
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I travel to several times each year, no worries here. A few bad neighborhoods but most big cities have those.

maybe a "best city" if you are a white liberal

"Chicago has more homicides than any other city in the United States — more than New York and Los Angeles combined."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.72208882574f
Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

Quote:

I also love Chicago Jeff,my brother lived there for years and I spent a lot of time there. But if you have not noticed the severity of their violence,or choose to ignore like Rahm,then you are truly the snowflake that you are characterized as.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
maybe a "best city" if you are a white liberal

"Chicago has more homicides than any other city in the United States — more than New York and Los Angeles combined."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.72208882574f
Number is high because Chicago has a big population, when you compare the homicide rate to other US cities it doesn’t even make the top 20.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
I also love Chicago Jeff,my brother lived there for years and I spent a lot of time there. But if you have not noticed the severity of their violence,or choose to ignore like Rahm,then you are truly the snowflake that you are characterized as.
I don’t think Rham has ignored it he’s just not been very effective at reducing it in the problem areas.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Sea Dangles

Another city going into the pooper due to progressive idealism.
Add it to the list if there is not a drastic measure taken in order to insure safety. This guy sucks and is endangering his constituents by his lack of action.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Nebe

Maybe the city planning board wants stealth population control.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don’t think Rham has ignored it he’s just not been very effective at reducing it in the problem areas.
So he sucks at his job

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Maybe he's doing something, it went down by 27% this year

In Chicago, 486 people have been killed this year. That is 131 fewer than 2017.

From last January, shortly after Trumps rant.
The latest effort to unravel the mystery comes from a new report released last week by the University of Chicago Crime Labs. In it, researchers took an exhaustive look at a wealth of data on social programs, mental-health funding, policing strategies, criminal-investigation clearance rates, gun ownership, and more. What they found raised more questions than answers.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...e-2016/514331/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Another city going into the pooper due to progressive idealism.
Add it to the list if there is not a drastic measure taken in order to insure safety. This guy sucks and is endangering his constituents by his lack of action.
I guess with all the booming economic growth, swelling corporate investment and development going all over I hadn’t noticed how bad progressives had damaged a once proud city.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I guess with all the booming economic growth, swelling corporate investment and development going all over I hadn’t noticed how bad progressives had damaged a once proud city.
Lipstick on a pig.See San Francisco for more evidence.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Lipstick on a pig.See San Francisco for more evidence.
It's pretty amusing that you picked two of the strongest cities in the USA as your examples of progressive decline. Those elite Hollywood snowflakes and their 15 Billion dollar surplus
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

Quote:
It's pretty amusing that you picked two of the strongest cities in the USA as your examples of progressive decline. Those elite Hollywood snowflakes and their 15 Billion dollar surplus
Yup,one is like the ok corral. The other is hiring people to clean human feces off the sidewalks downtown. My oldest couldn’t leave ANY change in his car in SF if he wanted to have windows. Thousands sleep under the freeway or on doorsteps of downtown businesses every night and that sits just fine with your type. This why I will never choose to be a #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. Oh and the surplus,they must save their pennies on fire prevention.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 11-21-2018 at 07:51 PM..

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Sea Dangles is correct. What you characterize here is, as he says, lipstick on a pig. What created wealth in these cities is capitalism, not Progressive government. Capitalism creates wealth. Progressivism regulates and taxes it. Capitalism, if allowed to, creates wealth in any system of government. China is an example of what it can do even in a Communist country.

You want to claim a strong Progressive success in Chicago by citing wealth for which Progressivism is not responsible. Actually, the economic "success" you cite has created there one of the major things that Progressives cite as a failure of capitalism--income inequality. The disparity of wealth in Chicago, and in the state of California is far greater than it is in most of the non-Progressive smaller localities in the U.S. And the heavy taxes in Chicago don't spread the wealth near enough to fix that inequality.

And Chicago, as well as other large Progressive cities, suffer from another failure that Progressives try to legislate against, gun violence.

You want to have it both ways. On the one hand, income inequality is supposed to be this huge problem than can bring our country down, but the "booming economic growth, swelling corporate investment and development" in Chicago, as you put it are a really good thing when you want to defend the pig. And gun violence, which you've claimed to be a major scourge in this country is OK, or not so bad, apparently, if its not in the top 20.

Progressivism sucks more milk out of the big tit of capitalism than it can possibly manufacture or grow enough new tits to make up the difference. And the Progressive spawn of infinite genders, and of the social, cultural, and philosophical voids created by the destruction of basic absolutes leaves us with a weak thread of societal coherence which leads to more violence against each other, more hate and misunderstanding, more jealousy and revenge, more of the things that rip societies apart, not the things that hold it together. It's not income inequality or guns that are the threat to the wealth and well being of this country.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Sea Dangles is correct. What you characterize here is, as he says, lipstick on a pig. What created wealth in these cities is capitalism, not Progressive government. Capitalism creates wealth. Progressivism regulates and taxes it. Capitalism, if allowed to, creates wealth in any system of government. China is an example of what it can do even in a Communist country.

You want to claim a strong Progressive success in Chicago by citing wealth for which Progressivism is not responsible. Actually, the economic "success" you cite has created there one of the major things that Progressives cite as a failure of capitalism--income inequality. The disparity of wealth in Chicago, and in the state of California is far greater than it is in most of the non-Progressive smaller localities in the U.S. And the heavy taxes in Chicago don't spread the wealth near enough to fix that inequality.

And Chicago, as well as other large Progressive cities, suffer from another failure that Progressives try to legislate against, gun violence.

You want to have it both ways. On the one hand, income inequality is supposed to be this huge problem than can bring our country down, but the "booming economic growth, swelling corporate investment and development" in Chicago, as you put it are a really good thing when you want to defend the pig. And gun violence, which you've claimed to be a major scourge in this country is OK, or not so bad, apparently, if its not in the top 20.

Progressivism sucks more milk out of the big tit of capitalism than it can possibly manufacture or grow enough new tits to make up the difference. And the Progressive spawn of infinite genders, and of the social, cultural, and philosophical voids created by the destruction of basic absolutes leaves us with a weak thread of societal coherence which leads to more violence against each other, more hate and misunderstanding, more jealousy and revenge, more of the things that rip societies apart, not the things that hold it together. It's not income inequality or guns that are the threat to the wealth and well being of this country.

And conservatism is what in your world view? the country's saviour....

your inability to see beyond the propaganda you read and repeat here is amazing to watch
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
And conservatism is what in your world view?

Not a very clear one. "Conservatism" in this country is a mixed bag. That's why I usually put the word in quotes. Worldwide, it is even more mixed. Conservative in most West European countries would be leftist here. I try to have views narrowed to the effects on individuals and their freedoms.

Progressivism does have a clearer more homogenous world strain of political philosophy. And it is consistently a social Marxist, post modern world view. A view which makes centralized government the supreme commander and definer of human rights. The more world centralized, the better.

the country's saviour....

Depends on what is to be saved. If that is our founding form of constitutional government, then people who want to preserve the inalienable rights of that government would be the saviors.

your inability to see beyond the propaganda you read and repeat here is amazing to watch
Can you point out to me the propaganda that I read and repeated in the post to which you replied?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:11 AM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Can you point out to me the propaganda that I read and repeated in the post to which you replied?

Progressivism sucks more milk out of the big tit of capitalism than it can possibly manufacture or grow enough new tits to make up the difference. And the Progressive spawn of infinite genders, and of the social, cultural, and philosophical voids created by the destruction of basic absolutes leaves us with a weak thread of societal coherence which leads to more violence against each other, more hate and misunderstanding, more jealousy and revenge, more of the things that rip societies apart, not the things that hold it together. It's not income inequality or guns that are the threat to the wealth and well being of this country

or Progressivism does have a clearer more homogenous world strain of political philosophy. And it is consistently a social Marxist, post modern world view.

If that is our founding form of constitutional government, then people who want to preserve the inalienable rights of that government would be the saviors.

Then Trumps isn't your Man he is taking a wrecking ball to that idea

find it odd your views seem to suggest an absence of Conservatives as if there has never been any in office ... or while in office faced the same problems progressives have face resulting in little change but ending up with the same outcomes... that you blame on progressives ..
Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #21
DZ

Instead of defecting try and answer the original question:
Obviously it will be hard to get rid of all the guns by adding new laws to existing laws. Even if you banned all firearms it would take a generation to institute that policy.

It's just a feel good move to keep saying that Chicago is a very nice and highly rated city to visit but that doesn't help the innocent population on the city's south side who live with this violence day after day.

So the answer could/should be an action that changes the behavior and makeup of the populations in neighborhoods where most of the shootings occur. IMO this would be some sort of "police action" that would infringe on constitutional rights to privacy; such as stop and frisk and body/home/vehicle searches without a warrant. Allow racial profiling if statistics show that black on black crime is the main cause.

These are my opinions - we need answers not rhetoric.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Instead of defecting try and answer the original question:
Obviously it will be hard to get rid of all the guns by adding new laws to existing laws. Even if you banned all firearms it would take a generation to institute that policy.

It's just a feel good move to keep saying that Chicago is a very nice and highly rated city to visit but that doesn't help the innocent population on the city's south side who live with this violence day after day.

So the answer could/should be an action that changes the behavior and makeup of the populations in neighborhoods where most of the shootings occur. IMO this would be some sort of "police action" that would infringe on constitutional rights to privacy; such as stop and frisk and body/home/vehicle searches without a warrant. Allow racial profiling if statistics show that black on black crime is the main cause.

These are my opinions - we need answers not rhetoric.

I have been clear it’s a gun volume issue . Have as many guns as you wish they should all be registered.

Every gun used in a murder in Chicago was a legally bought gun 1st
Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have been clear it’s a gun volume issue . Have as many guns as you wish they should all be registered.

Every gun used in a murder in Chicago was a legally bought gun 1st
Once you register your gun, does that automatically protect it from being stolen? Do criminals even care?

it's not a gun volume issue, its a "scumbag with no regard for the law" issue.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Progressivism sucks more milk out of the big tit of capitalism than it can possibly manufacture or grow enough new tits to make up the difference. And the Progressive spawn of infinite genders, and of the social, cultural, and philosophical voids created by the destruction of basic absolutes leaves us with a weak thread of societal coherence which leads to more violence against each other, more hate and misunderstanding, more jealousy and revenge, more of the things that rip societies apart, not the things that hold it together. It's not income inequality or guns that are the threat to the wealth and well being of this country

or Progressivism does have a clearer more homogenous world strain of political philosophy. And it is consistently a social Marxist, post modern world view.

If that is our founding form of constitutional government, then people who want to preserve the inalienable rights of that government would be the saviors.

When I asked if you "Can you point out to me the propaganda that I read and repeated", your answer here is to merely repeat what I said. Are you claiming that I read and repeated my own propaganda? That is circular nonsense which indicates that you don't actually have any idea of what "propaganda" I read. Or even if such propaganda exists.

Everything I said is my opinion. It is not a repetition of what anybody else said. It is a culmination of everything I've experienced and read expressed in my own words.

Are you unwittingly admitting that every opinion you express is a result of the propaganda you've read and repeated and that you are projecting your own way of thinking on me?

Then Trumps isn't your Man he is taking a wrecking ball to that idea

Trump is much nearer to my "Man" than Hillary is. You do realize I was making a choice between what was available? And Trump is actually restoring some of "that idea." Hillary's wrecking ball would have been far more devastating.

find it odd your views seem to suggest an absence of Conservatives as if there has never been any in office ... or while in office faced the same problems progressives have face resulting in little change but ending up with the same outcomes... that you blame on progressives ..
I have said, SEVERAL TIMES, in the past that Republicans have become a form of Democrat lite. I don't know what you mean by "Conservatives." It seems that you equate "Conservative" with Republican. I have said, SEVERAL TIMES, that many Republicans are/were Progressive. I have explained what I mean by "Progressive." It is not a political party, it is a way of governing. It is anti-constitutional. It does not believe in unalienable rights, but that government creates all rights. It espouses the unrestricted power of centralized government. It has, over the past hundred years, eroded our constitutional order into an ever expanding control by the federal government.

We still have the remnants of the founding constitutional order, but we are close to erasing that. And Hillary supported by Progressives would have brought us even closer. That's why I said "If that is our founding form of constitutional government, then people who want to preserve the inalienable rights of that government would be the saviors."

And those are my own, well thought out, opinions expressed in my own words.

I apologize to the forum for digressing from the subject of this thread, but wdmso, once again, swerved into another discussion to which I felt it necessary to respond.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Once you register your gun, does that automatically protect it from being stolen? Do criminals even care?

it's not a gun volume issue, its a "scumbag with no regard for the law" issue.
Some folks do have that problem of distinguishing legal from illegal.

It would be really cool if guns could realize the difference.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Interesting how people claiming to be Federalists want so vehemently an amendment that was a compromise between the Federalists and the anti Federalists.
Not until 2008 did the Supreme court rule that States did not have the right to restrict gun rights, much like the Supreme court ruled in 1973 on abortion.
I suppose both could be overturned.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
i think it’s a superbly organized community, and that whoever helped organize it, should
run for president.

what Chicago needs, is the exact opposite of what liberalism forces upon it. What it needs, all it needs, is an embrace of the culture of traditional, old fashioned family values ( two parents raising kids, encouraging them to stay in school, working hard, making good long-term decisions, and god forbid, going to church on sumdays and listening, and i don’t mean Rev Wright’s church). What Chicago gets instead, is a mocking of those family values, a pat on the head, and a small welfare check. it’s not working. Is it?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
I travel to several times each year, no worries here.
the 500 murder victims a year, and their families, will be very relieved to know that you don’t see any problems there.

Spence says there’s nothing to see, so let’s move along.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yup,one is like the ok corral. The other is hiring people to clean human feces off the sidewalks downtown.
they are run by democrats, which means the kool aid drinkers can’t bring themselves to be honest.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Who ran Indianapolis for most of the past two decades and where does it stand on the list of dangerous cities?
Hint it's #2 and Chicago and SF are nowhere's near as dangerous. It must be the politicians fault, though and certainly a liberal one.
We already have the highest percentage of population imprisoned of any country in the world.
Perhaps public floggings and branding are in order or just give everyone a gun and let them shoot it out.
We are the country that is closest to that also, we have more than a gun per person, all we need to do is share.

Lets Go Darwin