Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Apple Ipods..

Anybody got one? I have some left over birthday money and was looking on Ebay and saw a few ending soon.. Should i get one or not?I've been looking at them since they came out watching the prices to see if they drop.. i just want to know whether its worth buying one or not.. i know i can transfer files and music,etc what else can i do with them?

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Geez Katie -

I dunno where to start so I'll just throw out this statement "Once I got it, can't see living without it" So now I guess ya know where I stand....At minimum don't fall for the "mini" get the 20 gig.
PM me if you want...

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Nebe

If you get it, download Limewire... all the music you need all for free
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
thanks... i have heard about limewire and but i never knew what it was.. if i want any certain songs anddon't feel like buying a cd i go on bearshare and get it but.. i don't download like 100's of songs a day like other people..

ice man sent ya pm

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Bassman18
A Yankee in Boston

Send a message via AIM to Bassman18
katie, I just got an ipod mini from my best friend for christmas, needless to say, I don't have any problems with it. It's one of the greatest pieces of technology that I've seen (besides my laptop). It holds plenty of songs, and the shuffle feature on all the ipods are really worth it. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want one, save for the price, of course.

-Dave

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day,
And when it comes to my last cast, I most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,
That in His mercy I be judged, as big enough to keep.
Bassman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Nebe

katie

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

if you try the free version, make sure you have a good sppyware removal program.. its the only downside.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Skip N

I was looking at the Ipod and realized you CANNOT put songs on it from any site other than Itunes! Some wierd format they use to cnvert songs on there i guess. Totally stupid idea apple....I went with a Zen Micro from Creative....I can put songs from anysite what so ever onto it. Im not just stuck with Itunes and thats it. Plus i get FM radio too.

Last edited by Skip N; 02-09-2005 at 11:49 PM..
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Bassman18
A Yankee in Boston

Send a message via AIM to Bassman18
I suppose you can if you copy the songs onto a cd, then import the songs from the cd to itunes. Just an idea... I just go to the library and borrow cds and put in the ones I like

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day,
And when it comes to my last cast, I most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,
That in His mercy I be judged, as big enough to keep.
Bassman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
Skip N

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassman18
I suppose you can if you copy the songs onto a cd, then import the songs from the cd to itunes. Just an idea... I just go to the library and borrow cds and put in the ones I like
I dont think that will work....its some funky code they use. Worth a shot but i doubt it will work.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #10
Katie
Scuttlebutt

we have itunes on this computer.. never use it.. thing is, is that it reads cds and all.. i have programs that i can convert any music file into mp3 format, or wav format.. i think i might be able to import music or something i will have to see..the copy onto cd idea is good but if you only have CD-R cd's its kinda like just burn the cds and listen to them in a cd player.. thats what i do with my portable cd player i got on ebay for 20 bucks.. Definite Steal! cd player plays any format of a disc, get the weather stations, tv stations, fm and am radio. i say that its a pretty good deal. seeing i can't go a morning without listening to it..
i am gonna keep my eye out for cheap ipods right now

B.T.W. This is my 800th post..

My Photography Page!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip N
I was looking at the Ipod and realized you CANNOT put songs on it from any site other than Itunes! Some wierd format they use to cnvert songs on there i guess. Totally stupid idea apple....I went with a Zen Micro from Creative....I can put songs from anysite what so ever onto it. Im not just stuck with Itunes and thats it. Plus i get FM radio too.
Skip, I'm not sure thats true. I have a Creative MP3 (whcich I love) and my sister has an IPOD, she has downloaded tunes from cds and other means. I have also Downloaded tunes from itunes and used on my MP3. I believe the Ipod supports mp3s adn Im 100% sure you can load from cds.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
Pete_G

Copy protected Windows Media Audio files are the only thing I've found that iTunes can't convert.

Everything else should be fine; .mp3, unprotected .wma, CD's, etc. should all work.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

I'm still on the fence, waiting for things to shake out a bit.

This is interesting - probably not news to you all - but the older Ipod battery lives are an issue. Check this out if you're planning on getting the older generation models on clearance.

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Hope Apple works out the bugs and battery swaps for the newer models.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #14
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip N
Itunes is the uploadign platform for the I-pod, so you take a CD, a MP3, ot whatever music you have and you load it into a folder.. Lets call it "Music".. From there, you can listen to the music on your computer with any music player, or dump it into the Ipod. If your taking music from a website, you would select the folder "music" to down load into.. what your doing is creating a large Library on your computer. from there, you would only use Itunes to slip your music into the Ipod... While you are stuck with Itunes, you certianly are not limited to having to use it all the time.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
Skip N

Either way dont think the Ipod id the only good mp3 player on the market. Look around and you will find players that hold twice as many songs as the ipod for the same price. The creative Zen mini i have is insane! Holds more songs and $40 cheaper
Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #16
fishweewee

Lightbulb

i have a question 4 u all...

Can any of you listen to 40 gigs worth of songs over the lifetime of a 40 gig I-pod?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #17
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

WeeWee -

I"m up to 28 gigs filled on my 40 gig ipod, hope to get there one day....

Ice
Old 02-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #18
fishweewee

Lightbulb

my hats off to you man.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #19
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Next plug swap, we should incorporate a music swap! I've heard of dumber ideas....

Old 02-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #20
Katie
Scuttlebutt

music swap sounds fun.. lol.. heres a dumb question but when is the plug swap? after or before TFCTFN?

My Photography Page!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #21
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Send a message via AIM to Iwannakeeper
My boss gave out a sweet christmas gift.

the 60G IPOD photo

I love it, you can't go wrong

Keep lines wet and tight in the pacific
Iwannakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #22
rivsie11

I think it depends on what kind of value you want.

IPod is all about the name and style. It's the "in" right now and everyone wants one but like it's already been posted they have drawbacks

For your money you can get a lot of other MP3 players with more options and more legal song sources+Fm Tuner and Voice recorder.

IRiver, Rio, and Sansdisk all make great stuff with more bang for the buck. Yet, you sacrifice coolness.

rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #23
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwannakeeper
My boss gave out a sweet christmas gift.

the 60G IPOD photo
I love it, you can't go wrong
lucky lucky lucky person!

My Photography Page!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #24
Katie
Scuttlebutt

the free ipod sites

i was wondering do the free ipod sites actually work? i have seen the ones that you need refferals for.. should i try one of them?

My Photography Page!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #25
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Send a message via AIM to Iwannakeeper
Do all IPODs or for that matter all MP3s, have a NOTES section?

you can actually download text files and read them on the IPOD. Since I do not have a navigation system in my car or use a GPS for directions it is pretty sweet. I download text of directions into the IPOD....then I have them with me.

The Alarm Clock functionality is pretty cool, but I use my cell phone for that.

Anyways - I like it, value-wise they probably are over priced. But it may have some additonal features.

Also - people were discussing the ability or inability to upload Itunes vs other sites song downloads. Itunes does something to their MP3s to degrade the quality when they are copied, etc. I have not heard of a solution to this problem. If you purchase the songs, they are yours, but you cannot share them. As far as pulling songs from other web-sites into your Itunes, from a CD, it probably imports directly. If they are files on your hard-drive, open Itunes, then click file and import. If the files are simply standard MP3's they should be imported.

Keep lines wet and tight in the pacific
Iwannakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #26
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
IWK ; what, did you win that too ??? geez

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #27
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific