Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Highpockets

Sorry, but I have to ask ...

After going through 6 pages of search results and not finding exactly what I need I just have to ask another epoxy question or two.

I have been having a few adhesion problems with Devcon on createx. I get little spots that just won't stay covered. Therefore, I have the following questions.

1) If I want to do a second coat, do I need to sand the top coat before the second application? Will I be able to fill in the holes and get a smooth top coat?

2) How about E-tex on top of devcon? I just built a spinner. Given that Etex is pretty thin, will it fill in the gaps in the Devcon and give a smooth even top coat? Sand in between?

3) How about multiple layers of E-tex? Sand in between?

Based on my review of searched topics, I also will try a clear scratch coat on a couple of my next plugs.

Thanks in advance.
Highpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
After going through 6 pages of search results and not finding exactly what I need I just have to ask another epoxy question or two.

I have been having a few adhesion problems with Devcon on createx. I get little spots that just won't stay covered. Therefore, I have the following questions.

1) If I want to do a second coat, do I need to sand the top coat before the second application? Will I be able to fill in the holes and get a smooth top coat?

2) How about E-tex on top of devcon? I just built a spinner. Given that Etex is pretty thin, will it fill in the gaps in the Devcon and give a smooth even top coat? Sand in between?

3) How about multiple layers of E-tex? Sand in between?

Based on my review of searched topics, I also will try a clear scratch coat on a couple of my next plugs.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to epoxy hell. The adhesion trouble you are having is common. It is usually due to contamination (oil or silicone). You can use a spray clear coat, sand it, wipe it clean with alcohol and epoxy over that, although epoxy will usually stick pretty well to Createx without any topcoat first. Try not to handle your plugs once they are painted (wear gloves or use a clean cloth). Be sure you are not mixing or measuring your epoxy in something or with something that is not clean (or may have residual mold release agents in it). Some people clean everything (cups, mixer, measuring device, and brushes) with alcohol first. Brush the epoxy on hard to improve surface adhesion. Do not try to put it on too thin. Be sure the plug is dry before applying. Pray a lot. Study up on new swear words. Good luck.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Backbeach Jake

As careful as I am, I still get those bare spots on occasion. The one thing that I haven't tried yet is to de grease my hardware, lips wire, grommets. I'll give that a shot next batch.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

That condition is called "fish eye" . when the epoxy pulls away from various spots becasue of surface contamination (usually oils etc).
Give the plug a coat of clear spray before epoxy next time or be sure you do not handle it. Keep the surface clean!

The plug that is bad; Give it a light sanding and wipe it down with a rag dampened with alcohol. Let the alky drie and give it a sencond coat of Devcon. The epoxy should level out in theose voids.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I too am extra crefull, I've got the ratio down to about1 in 50 or so with dry spots.... what everyone else says is what I do,and then some, I use assorted paints, mostly Delta ceramacoat, I have a coelesing filter on each air line to each brush to rule out contamination in my air system....,once the plug is painted, I install the eyes and belly gromets then apply an even, thin coat of acrylic clear as a scratch coat, after that, all plugs are handled with powder free rubber gloves... I scuff with extra fine scotch brite that has been washed in denatured alcohol and air dried and wipe with a chemical free tack cloth and do any final rigging at that point..

I have my acid brushes prepared ahead of time, to do this, I add a thin line of super glue along the base of the brush where the bristles attach, when the super glue is dry, the brushes are washed in denatured alcohol and allowed to air dry.... I then seal them in a plastic bag...

Epoxy is applied in a medium thick coat then"scraped" off with the brush, working the epoxy both ways, fore and aft on the plug...

the plugs are sent spinning and the doors closed.. once the timer shuts off(2 hours), the plugs are left alone for 48 hours before I touch them....

and in the rare instance I get a "dalmation" I simply scuff,wipe and reapply another coat... never had one fail a second time...

alot of work... yes... but durable..
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

all plugs are handled with powder free rubber gloves...

what Rockfish said ... make sure Powder Free ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Highpockets

Thanks guys. I definitely didn't take as much care as described by Rockfish. I guess I have to be much more careful. Thanks again!
Highpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
Raven

i wash my hands often

but i like to have garden soil on my hands..... at all times

so i guess i'll grow ten times as many carrots and just buy my

perfect plugs from all you guys....then i'll have freed myself in advance

from epoxy hell. Having worked as a mofo carpenter in sunny

california for ten years .... i already swear to much...as it is

at least .....it keeps the La ghostas' away,,,

Rockfish9 .....your freakin Amazing....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Most times I will spray a clear Polyurethane before epoxy

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
smac

I used the 30 minute Devcon stuff for the first time last week. I wiped down my plugs with mineral spirits before I brushed on the epoxy. I put it in a vice. I found that wire coat hanger cut into peice's hold the plug nice and steady.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote