Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
gone fishin

Old problem ..

I have never had a problem with epoxy not hardening properly, but this is a first. I coated a special plug with enviro tex and it remains soft and slightly sticky to the touch. I probably had a s@#$y mixture and it caused the problem. I tried to cheap out and mixed a real small amount and I suspect the ratio was off.
Question is -- will a recoat solve the problem? Or should I simply wait it out? Anyone have this problem and solved it this way?

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
lazzyone

If it's a mixture issue waiting's not gonna help, it wont cure. Humidity can also play a role in the cure time but if it hasn't cured in a few days reapply and make sure you mix the etex up real well and as you know in equal parts.
lazzyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

If you warm it overnight near a light bulb and recoat the next day it should be fine.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
gone fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Don, i bet it was humidity.... last ones i did I pulled the room down to 45 on the hygrometer with the dehumidifier, temp was 75... they dried in <12 hours!...

electric company gonna love me tho...

2 summers ago i did a few that never set, and have had it happen before, again in the summer, when the humidity climbs... and then I read the ideal is < 50 on the hygrometer, and 70 + on the temp, for cure on the etex
I bet you are right - the humidity was off the scale when I coated the plug. I guess I will bite the bllit & recoat.

Karl - I heard a rumor that you are revising the single car ferry for Nauset access. aka Morris

low & slow 37
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
gone fishin

Memories................

low & slow 37